• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Image Newsstand Thread
5 5

271 posts in this topic

I'm not too familiar with Image overall outside of Spawn, but there is a wall of probably 5k raw, unbagged Image comics at a local bookstore. I have no idea what to look for though, is there a list of the top 10/20 rarest obscure Image issues?

4 hours ago, HotKey said:

I'm not too familiar with Image overall outside of Spawn, but there is a wall of probably 5k raw, unbagged Image comics at a local bookstore. I have no idea what to look for though, is there a list of the top 10/20 rarest obscure Image issues?

Specific to Image, you'll be looking for the barcode with two numbers on the right side.

ns_v_de_right.png

Since you said they're at a local bookstore, they could be all direct editions, in which case there would be no books for this topic.

If there are newsstand books available, they'll be from 1992 to 2004, which are most likely going to be valued according to condition.

Most Image newsstand books have some sort of condition problems, particularly books after 1998.

They'll still likely be 8.5 or better, but the odds of 9.6 or better on Image newsstands are significantly lower than direct editions.

For Spawn, the final newsstand was #137, so anything higher than #120 is probably a good pickup in nice condition (assuming they're $5 or less).

There isn't a very well defined market at this point, so it might be harder to make a list of the Top 10/20 rarest obscure Image newsstand issues.

If you meant the Top 10/20 rarest obscure Image issues (including direct editions), you'll likely be looking for books like Walking Dead #2 Second Printing and some other books that rarely come up.

On 2/17/2021 at 10:01 AM, valiantman said:

Specific to Image, you'll be looking for the barcode with two numbers on the right side.

ns_v_de_right.png

Thanks for the info! I finally made it through the wall there and there were definitely newsstands in there, heres my haul. Any gems? The only oddball I found was the Gen 13 ones which all have the 2 numbers on the right but 2 of them say direct sales.

20210304_124037.jpg

20210304_124800.jpg

20210304_124925.jpg

20210304_124909.jpg

7 minutes ago, HotKey said:

Thanks for the info! I finally made it through the wall there and there were definitely newsstands in there, heres my haul. Any gems? The only oddball I found was the Gen 13 ones which all have the 2 numbers on the right but 2 of them say direct sales.

20210304_124909.jpg

That IS weird.  My guess is that Image wasn't putting any barcodes on direct editions and produced these right in that window of time between no direct sales barcodes and actual direct sales barcodes (with 5 digits on the right). 

On 4/11/2021 at 1:35 PM, ThothAmon said:

Just in case the bar code wasn’t enough to convince you. 

DA10B6DF-029E-4309-A25A-71B7F6E57D05.jpeg

This is such a weird book, too. Rising Stars #1 shipped to direct markets with 4 different covers that form a complete image placed side-to-side (in order from left to right: "children playing", "posing", "battle scene", "funeral"). All these books have an August 1999 cover date. In October 1999 (the same time #2 launched), Top Cow released a 2nd printing of Rising Stars #1, using only the "battle scene" cover, but with the orange background and gold logo replaced with this teal background and black logo, and with the October date in the issue box. At the same time, they released the comic to newsstands, also using the 2nd printing cover design.

As far as I know, the only Rising Stars #1 newsstands are "2nd printings" (despite there not actually being a 1st printing). I have zero clue how CGC would handle this, and I'm in no hurry to find out, because they've made a terrible mess of #1's million versions to begin with.

Also, regarding Rising Stars newsstands, I'm pretty interested in figuring out what the last newsstand issue of the run was. I can confirm -- but do not own myself -- that #11 (November 2000) exists as a newsstand. I'm 99% certain that #22-24 do not exist in newsstands (there was a long delay after #21 because of a legal disagreement between JMS and Top Cow). Rising Stars #21 was a January 2003 book, so there's certainly a possibility they were still doing newsstand distribution then, but I wouldn't be surprised if they'd pulled that plug earlier. JMS's other series, Midnight Nation, launched in October 2000, and as far as I know never had newsstand distribution. That sort of suggests that Top Cow was winding things down already by the time Rising Stars #11 shipped to newsstands. Does anyone have a Rising Stars #12+ in newsstand?

13 hours ago, Qalyar said:

This is such a weird book, too. Rising Stars #1 shipped to direct markets with 4 different covers that form a complete image placed side-to-side (in order from left to right: "children playing", "posing", "battle scene", "funeral"). All these books have an August 1999 cover date. In October 1999 (the same time #2 launched), Top Cow released a 2nd printing of Rising Stars #1, using only the "battle scene" cover, but with the orange background and gold logo replaced with this teal background and black logo, and with the October date in the issue box. At the same time, they released the comic to newsstands, also using the 2nd printing cover design.

As far as I know, the only Rising Stars #1 newsstands are "2nd printings" (despite there not actually being a 1st printing). I have zero clue how CGC would handle this, and I'm in no hurry to find out, because they've made a terrible mess of #1's million versions to begin with.

Also, regarding Rising Stars newsstands, I'm pretty interested in figuring out what the last newsstand issue of the run was. I can confirm -- but do not own myself -- that #11 (November 2000) exists as a newsstand. I'm 99% certain that #22-24 do not exist in newsstands (there was a long delay after #21 because of a legal disagreement between JMS and Top Cow). Rising Stars #21 was a January 2003 book, so there's certainly a possibility they were still doing newsstand distribution then, but I wouldn't be surprised if they'd pulled that plug earlier. JMS's other series, Midnight Nation, launched in October 2000, and as far as I know never had newsstand distribution. That sort of suggests that Top Cow was winding things down already by the time Rising Stars #11 shipped to newsstands. Does anyone have a Rising Stars #12+ in newsstand?

To respond to my own question in part, it looks like the Rising Stars newsstands go quite a bit past 11. I should have pics of a #15 to share here next week ish. My collection is still short a bunch of issues, but this means we're just down to #16-21 as open questions about whether newsstand versions exist.

Also, #15 gets us all the way to July 2001, which means I need to go back to watching for hypothetical Midnight Nation newsstands. By that date, all the way through issue 8 (of 12) were released.

On 6/2/2021 at 2:10 PM, Qalyar said:

Condition leaves a lot to be desired, but here's the Rising Stars #15 (July 2001) newsstand. I'm very interested in knowing if there are newsstands of any later issues in this series.

PXL_20210602_190725151.jpg

Did not take long for me to kick this can another issue down the road. Here's the newsstand edition of Rising Stars #16 (September 2001). No sign -- at least so far -- of #17 (January 2002), #18 (April 2002), #19 (September 2002), #20 (October 2002), or #21 (January 2003). And I still believe it is impossible for newsstand copies of #22-24 (Nov 2004 - Mar 2005) to exist because those postdate the last currently known Image newsstands.

As always, extremely interested if anyone dredges up later copies.

PXL_20210603_195755953.jpg