• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Surfer #1 9.2 With writing on back cover?
1 1

27 posts in this topic

It's not a mistake. But it does appear to have a corner bend to the top right corner of the front cover as well. It's always a good idea to look books over very carefully before you buy...even certified copies. hm 

Edited by The Lions Den

On 9/21/2019 at 6:01 PM, Stingrayiii said:

Maybe it is just me 

The two main things I can see that *maybe could have* knocked it down are the top right corner and the bottom back edge. I can't tell if the upper right corner is a small chip or a bend? If it's a chip obviously it's not fixable. It appears to have some tanning or discoloration on the bottom edge of the back cover. Tanning on white covers gets hammered and it doesn't go away with pressing. I don't think they typically treat writing that harshly unless it's obstructing or obscuring artwork. If I knew that writing was from '68 it'll actually be a positive imo since it's off to the side.

If you're dying to know if this is upgradable then buy the graders notes if they're available. Getting an ugrade is tough without clear pressable defects!

15 hours ago, pickycollector said:

It is not just you. I think this is ridiculous to give a book a grade of 9.2 with such a major writing....

I agree.

If it were a signature on the back it'd be qualified grade at best I think.

That's pretty obtrusive. Neat, but still obtrusive.

1 hour ago, Conacon said:

I'm surprised the writing didn't knock the grade down a bit. They're going soft! Now's the time to submit all your comics! 

Image result for kermit yelling

No, CGC graders are not soft.  Arrival dates, stamps, grease pencil marks or personal name/written do not affect the grade. First generation labels had notes such as "name written on cover in pencil or pen" or "Hugs, 1968" until all notes were omitted after the second generation. Sometimes, they do leave notes but not often. I remember March Madness contest last March here. There was the note on the third generation label -- it said "Greggy is a dork" on cover in marker but it has over 9.0.

10 hours ago, JollyComics said:

No, CGC graders are not soft.  Arrival dates, stamps, grease pencil marks or personal name/written do not affect the grade. First generation labels had notes such as "name written on cover in pencil or pen" or "Hugs, 1968" until all notes were omitted after the second generation. Sometimes, they do leave notes but not often. I remember March Madness contest last March here. There was the note on the third generation label -- it said "Greggy is a dork" on cover in marker but it has over 9.0.

How would they treat it if it was writing on the middle of the front cover over a character's face or something along those lines? I don't mean a verified signature or sketch but just unidentified writing or scribbling. Would that impact grading?

3 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

How would they treat it if it was writing on the middle of the front cover over a character's face or something along those lines? I don't mean a verified signature or sketch but just unidentified writing or scribbling. Would that impact grading?

It has a blue label with the note.  The CGC graders knew it was a joke and probably knew who Greggy is.

5 hours ago, JollyComics said:

It has a blue label with the note.  The CGC graders knew it was a joke and probably knew who Greggy is.

So when somebody sells a book to Greggy, the seller can do him a little surprise and write on the cover "Greggy is a dork" in marker and that would be ok since it is ok with CGC... :facepalm:

19 hours ago, JollyComics said:

I know I learned from here that date stamps and grease pencil marks were forgiven, but a kid's scribbled name on the front cover or "read in 1968" have no affect on the grade of the book? 10 year-old me is off the hook, baby! 

6 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Ok but I meant how they would handle that kind of situation of obstructive writing in general? 

1 hour ago, pickycollector said:

So when somebody sells a book to Greggy, the seller can do him a little surprise and write on the cover "Greggy is a dork" in marker and that would be ok since it is ok with CGC... :facepalm:

I bet that "obstructive" writing amused all CGC graders.

36 minutes ago, Conacon said:

I know I learned from here that date stamps and grease pencil marks were forgiven, but a kid's scribbled name on the front cover or "read in 1968" have no affect on the grade of the book? 10 year-old me is off the hook, baby! 

Beat me.

22 hours ago, JollyComics said:

:whatthe::roflmao: