• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Full Press. (Not basketball...)

10 posts in this topic

Except for the material additional amt of time it takes, doesn't it make sense to pretty much have every book submitted for grading, pressed?  In for a penny.  In for a pound, and the difference between a possible 9.8 and a 9.6 is huge...  Any offerings of wisdom will be appreciated.

Are you talking books in generally good shape to begin with?   Pressing can damage books so it's important to A) have a quality presser and B) understand the potential risks for each book (especially if they're older/not in the best of shape)  C) factor in additional costs vs poss additional FMV gains

But for books in better shape to begin with, I assume professional graders going over it with magnifying glasses in the best lighting conditions will pick up on things I'm not gonna always see at my home, so I always had the ones I submitted pressed to try an ensure the best poss grade.   

That said, I'm sure there's plenty of boardies with enough experience/confidence to make that determination themselves

Edited by csaag
typo

While I have sent in stuff like 32 33 37 Werewolf and the Hulk with Wendigo, cameo Wolverine, yeah.  I'm talking about books that may well hit a 9.8 without the pressing.  I've had too many books come back 9.6 when I, the owner lol, saw them as 9.8s.  Not to mention even the slightest thing can happen to your book between the time it leaves your hands, and the time the grader first picks it up.  Just makes sense to me but.  Being green.  Want to hear what others do.  Thanks CR. As far as the older books go, that's my understanding too.  If the staples aren't solid, the pages are brittle, there's already a lot of shadowing etc, you can do more harm than good, in pressing. 

On 9/26/2019 at 11:34 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It does not make sense to me.

And most people cannot tell the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6. That's why you buy the book and not the label.

Ok...  Look at the FMV of any book and compare the value of a 9.8 as opposed to a 9.6.  You could start w/ Moon Knight #25 Vol 1.  To say that the graded quality of any collectable doesn't matter misses a material aspect of the hobby/business.

https://comics.gocollect.com/guide/view/143190

• Grade
    FM Value
    Last Sale
    Recent
    $500
    Sep 2019
    25 Sales
    $160
    Sep 2019

Just now, Wallstreet said:

...To say that the graded quality of any collectable doesn't matter misses a material aspect of the hobby/business...

Nope. Financial value means nothing to me. It's not even tertiary to the artwork and writing.

The actual difference between a 9.8 and 9.6 condition comic isn't discernible to most people.

12 minutes ago, Wallstreet said:

Ok.  I can understand that.  Then why have the art/book graded and encapsulated?  There are far better ways to display art.

The only graded comics that I have are signed by the artists and writers or are going to be signed by the artists and writers.

Alternatively, CGC "guarantees" restoration detection and authenticity, which is appealing for vintage comics.