• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bigger Print Run ?

22 posts in this topic

Well the "on sale" January 1939 issues would be Action #10 and Detective #25, so I don't think there is any question that Action #10 was the bigger seller.

Also think that Action 12 outsold Detective 27 easily.  Superman #1 went on sale in May and it's 1st print run was 500,000 copies alone, so it's pretty clear Superman was the main cog in their sales at that point.

Edited by Crowzilla
Superman #1 on sale date

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

Well the "on sale" January 1939 issues would be Action #10 and Detective #25, so I don't think there is any question that Action #10 was the bigger seller.

Also think that Action 12 outsold Detective 27 easily.  Superman #1 went on sale in May and it's 1st print run was 500,000 copies alone, so it's pretty clear Superman was the main cog in their sales at that point.

I’m guessing  Tec 27 had a print run if 350k tops.  

17 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

That’s where I pulled my guesstimate from. Didn’t think it was evenly split four ways based on the data and review.  It was just a wild guess on my part and maybe I was being too conservative by guessing high...... Do you think it was more , less , or  the same as Action 1 at 202k ??  Comparable to Marvel 1’s initial print of 80k ( that seems low if they were hoping fir a Superman like success ) 

Edited by Chicago Boy

18 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

That’s where I pulled my guesstimate from. Didn’t think it was evenly split four ways based on the data and review.  It was just a wild guess on my part and maybe I was being too conservative by guessing high...... Do you think it was more , less , or  the same as Action 1 at 202k ??  Comparable to Marvel 1’s initial print of 80k ( that seems low if they were hoping fir a Superman like success ) 

I'm not saying the widely quoted Marvel #1 print numbers are incorrect, but where did that specific information come from?  

24 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

Any research that's more recent?  Cool topic that seems dead.  

Not that I’ve heard of. Would love more opinions though.  Maybe it’s closer to Action 1 based on anticipated surviving copies are considered close in number ? 

Yeah, according to Donnenfeld, the sales of Action #1 was 130,000 or so copies...I would imagine, by issue #12, Action would have been the best seller. 

It's interesting...if Crimson Avenger had caught on, Bats might never have appeared, and the big issue may have been #20.

14 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yeah, according to Donnenfeld, the sales of Action #1 was 130,000 or so copies...I would imagine, by issue #12, Action would have been the best seller. 

It's interesting...if Crimson Avenger had caught on, Bats might never have appeared, and the big issue may have been #20.

Good food for  thought. My guess is that 10% of both Action 1 and Tec 27  survived to make it to 2019.  

15 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

10% of Action #1? 13,000 copies...?

I would imagine that number is closer to 200-300....

I go off the 202k print run ( 130k sold ). I put it around 200. Give or take. How many Tec 27’s do you imagine survived ?  More , less , about the same ?

2 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I go off the 202k print run ( 130k sold ). I put it around 200. Give or take. How many Tec 27’s do you imagine survived ?  More , less , about the same ?

I would guess that just because of the nature of things (people tended to save #1s more than #27s, for example) that Tec #27 is slightly less than Action #1. But at these numbers, we're not talking a lot of difference. Maybe 25-50 more copies of Action #1...?

I thought we'd see more copies surface in the last 10 years, as collectors die off, but that hasn't been the case. Either collectors are hanging on, or they really just don't exist. @rob_react would know better than most, but how many total sales of Action #1 have there been in this decade, as opposed to the last?

14 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I would guess that just because of the nature of things (people tended to save #1s more than #27s, for example) that Tec #27 is slightly less than Action #1. But at these numbers, we're not talking a lot of difference. Maybe 25-50 more copies of Action #1...?

I thought we'd see more copies surface in the last 10 years, as collectors die off, but that hasn't been the case. Either collectors are hanging on, or they really just don't exist. @rob_react would know better than most, but how many total sales of Action #1 have there been in this decade, as opposed to the last?

I don't have complete records for the 2000s so I can't compare. GPA doesn't either so I can crib it from there. using GPA we could plot the average sales per year and see if there's any uptick. My gut says that there has been a significant one, at least for Action #1.  

1 hour ago, rob_react said:

I don't have complete records for the 2000s so I can't compare. GPA doesn't either so I can crib it from there. using GPA we could plot the average sales per year and see if there's any uptick. My gut says that there has been a significant one, at least for Action #1.  

Anecdotally, I think we've already seen some significant books that have been buried a long time come to auction because their owners are exiting the hobby as part of their retirement years, including the top graded Action 1, Berk's collection, and Suspense 3 (right?). 

Edited by sfcityduck