• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wireless Scanner
2 2

11 posts in this topic

I've been debating buying a scanner since I started collecting again.  It would be fun to have one I think however the only reason I'd buy one is to scan Slabs and I am not a dealer.  So that being said are there any small/cheap (around $100) wireless scanners on the market that scan slabs well that anyone can recommend?

Edited by Xenosmilus

On 9/22/2019 at 3:31 PM, Xenosmilus said:

I've been debating buying a scanner since I started collecting again.  It would be fun to have one I think however the only reason I'd buy one is to scan Slabs and I am not a dealer.  So that being said are there any small/cheap (around $100) wireless scanners on the market that scan slabs well that anyone can recommend?

Kind of depends on why u are scanning - 

Standard scanners today are not good at depth. Work for raw - but slabs are fuzzy. Not that good for selling. 

Consensus is usually to ebay/craigslist an older scanner like an 8300 and use vuescan. 

Long and best overall discussion thready, best to start from the end and read backwards for the latest recommendations. 

A decent thread with some other slab image options. Some image apps work ok for cell phones. 

good

2 hours ago, W16227 said:

Kind of depends on why u are scanning - 

Standard scanners today are not good at depth. Work for raw - but slabs are fuzzy. Not that good for selling. 

This simply isn't true.  Older inexpensive HP scanner, but I get essentially identical images from an Epson scanner purchased last year (for another purpose, ultra high resolution scans of Kodachrome slides):

FF55.jpg.38e91f9dffe79651549e99492f63d082.jpg FF79ped.thumb.jpg.d3c0e4baa4020790efd9705e575f8d72.jpg 

Avengers101cgc.thumb.jpg.4108425fa42226e9cbeebcd072c7babe.jpg  ST167Mass.thumb.jpg.e0eca26b0316edaeacb484897c92d7ec.jpg

For more examples, there's GhostTown's fantastic registry set of picture frame Marvels, over 350 scanner images with great color and clarity:
https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=37800

Edited by namisgr

2 hours ago, namisgr said:

This simply isn't true.  Older inexpensive HP scanner, but I get essentially identical images from an Epson scanner purchased last year (for another purpose, ultra high resolution scans of Kodachrome slides):

For more examples, there's GhostTown's fantastic registry set of picture frame Marvels, over 350 scanner images with great color and clarity:
https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=37800

which Epson  scanner??

39 minutes ago, W16227 said:

which Epson  scanner??

Perfection V600.  Scanning old Kodachrome and Ektachrome slides at 4800 dpi makes for great digital reproductions of the originals.

But the images shown above are with my old HP scanner.

Edited by namisgr

2 hours ago, namisgr said:

Perfection V600.  Scanning old Kodachrome and Ektachrome slides at 4800 dpi makes for great digital reproductions of the originals.

But the images shown above are with my old HP scanner.

Is it this one I take it?  Is it wireless do you know? I live in an apartment and don't want anything too big and basically want to keep it under my bed and pull it out as needed...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/epson-perfection-v550-photo-scanner-black/1695454.p?skuId=1695454&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=293&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1266837&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_absBRD1ARIsAO4_D3s3KFhwjXDm31JwG2-v9TqsIxr1xZHz31Ot7CCfOIr5icfLdJnk9fAaAifSEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by Xenosmilus

51 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Mine is the V600, not the 550.  I have no idea if it has wireless capability.  I'm sure the technical write-up on the sales page will tell you.

-- that explains it --- 

The V600 has - 12-line Epson Matrix CCD as the image tech. These work best for slabs - the V600 is the least expensive I have seen - would be a good choice for the price ( looks like 230 street) 

Most new scanners - use a different tech - CIS - that is not slab friendly.  

Looks like only USB 2.0 connection

https://news.epson.com/facts/epson-perfection-v600-photo-scanner-150179

1 hour ago, Xenosmilus said:

Is it this one I take it?  Is it wireless do you know? I live in an apartment and don't want anything too big and basically want to keep it under my bed and pull it out as needed...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/epson-perfection-v550-photo-scanner-black/1695454.p?skuId=1695454&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=293&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1266837&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_absBRD1ARIsAO4_D3s3KFhwjXDm31JwG2-v9TqsIxr1xZHz31Ot7CCfOIr5icfLdJnk9fAaAifSEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The 550 is not large enough  for slabs -