• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share the earliest-created OA in your collection

16 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Jael -Sunday Newspaper Supplement in New York World by Dan Smith

In the late 1890s, Dan worked for Hearst organization and covered the Spanish-American War. From Hearst he joined the New York Herald for a short period then moved on to The World, where “for twenty years, he drew nearly all of the covers for the Sunday magazine of New York World.
I am not exactly sure when this was published, I think this was done around 1920. His originals are rare and this is on of the best I have seen and BIG this one is 22x28.

1HH2FLDY_220119180019lola.jpg

that's just fantastic

1 hour ago, bluechip said:

Hawkeye prototype?

cave art.jpg

Pooh!

Everyone knows that Green Arrow predates Hawkeye and that GA learned to shoot by making a bow to use to hunt when stranded on a deserted island.

Clearly, GA from the "Stone Age" of comics.

Page 9 of a 10 Page Story by George Tuska (signing his name as George Aksut). From Fight Comics # 3 1941 the Shark Brodie story. I do have the other 9 pages but this IMHO is the best page. BTW this is a great example of HUGE Golden Age Art measuring in at a full 24 x 18. 

Shark%20Brodie.jpg

The Opper sketch is from the late 1800s, a "comic" piece but perhaps not true comic OA.   The earliest published OA I have is probably the Captain Marvel (aka Shazam) from 1941.

The others are early OA but not published.  The Cap is from the early 40s and appears to be a tryout page though I don't know by whom (perhaps somebody can ID the artist?).   The Subby is an unpublished splash page from 1942.

Opper Black Art 1.jpg

Captain America sketches 1940s.jpg

Sub-mariner 6 splash page prelim Pheufer.jpg

Captain Marvel #2 page.jpg

Very early EC cover art (1946, I think), for PICTURE STORIES FROM AMERICAN HISTORY # 2,from when the company was managed by Max Gaines and was called 'Educational' Comics .

I also own all of the 54 interior pages . . . along with another complete Educational Comics book from the 1940s (Picture Stories From World History # 1). 

X9DlnBag_311017184050lola.jpg