• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art Recreated by Original Artist
1 1

28 posts in this topic

My point is that a recreation can have value long after the sale, but it does depend on the artist and the book. SS #4 is among the best covers ever and the Adventure covers feature large numbers of Legionnaires by perhaps the most popular Legion artist.

It takes a special combination to retain or increase in value.

Agree.  Whatever the cover, if it was being recreated, the odds are there is something special about it anyway (re: value).  The commissioner could be asking for a cover that has a personal meaning.  But otherwise, the cover would probably be popular.  

There's also a few people that are not the original artists but doing some nice recreations.  There seems to be a few factors.  The original is not thought to exist (or not be in collectible condition).  Or the original is not on the market or prohibitively expensive.  But why commission someone to redraw it ?  Maybe just scan the comic, drop the colors and clean up the line work.  Or is it just "fun" to have a cover X originally drawn by Y and recreated by Z ??  I've kind of thought about it but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Edited by Will_K

Thank you all for your replies! Didn't realize recreations were somewhat common.

My follow-up is what docs are required to prove it is by the artist? Is a letter from the original purchaser swearing it came from the artist worth anything? Does the art have to be signed? Do artists provide any certification?

Signed art is good.  Some may argue about signing on the art vs bottom margin.  I think a discreet signature on the art is nice.

Some kind of handwritten note (with signature) on the back of the art would be nice as well.  If the art is colored by the artist, that should also be indicated. Sometimes another person may do the coloring work.  So for example, "this is a recreation of Silver Surfer #4 drawn and colored by XXX"  Who knows, some people may even want that on the front.

My views on this one, which I've mentioned numerous times in the past (whenever these same type threads re-appear), is that some artists are better than others at re-creating past glories.  A lot of these fail badly when the artist tries to hand-letter the art and the end-results are very often clumsily performed, lettering being a real skill in itself.  A re-created cover by the original artist (or inker) is painful for me to look at if the lettering is badly done.

5 hours ago, The Voord said:

My views on this one, which I've mentioned numerous times in the past (whenever these same type threads re-appear), is that some artists are better than others at re-creating past glories.  A lot of these fail badly when the artist tries to hand-letter the art and the end-results are very often clumsily performed, lettering being a real skill in itself.  A re-created cover by the original artist (or inker) is painful for me to look at if the lettering is badly done.

Good point. If the artist is uncomfortable with the lettering part, skip it. You can have it done by a pro later if you wish.

5 hours ago, The Voord said:

A lot of these fail badly when the artist tries to hand-letter the art and the end-results are very often clumsily performed, lettering being a real skill in itself.  A re-created cover by the original artist (or inker) is painful for me to look at if the lettering is badly done.

Not all artists, as we view them here, are letterers. Some of them stunk at that even in peak prime. Assembly line comics creation existed for a reason, it leveraged eventual specialization via mind-numbing repetition! A few, such as Gaspar Saladino, were actual logo/lettering geniuses but the majority of letterers we average artists that started doing that to get in the door and never got their own gig...because they got really good at it.

Better to just bang out repros in Photoshop or pay a professional letterer (past or present) to do that part. So many nice recreations/reinterpretations totally ruined (imo) by crummy lettering and dummied up trade dress (price, CCA stamp, etc).