• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee signed eleven times!

17 posts in this topic

I just noticed this book on ebay signed eleven times by Stan Lee!  It's a good study of his signature which varied.  Sometimes the S was different, sometimes the N is so crowded you can't see it.  Once in a while he took the tag on the last E and sent it downward at an angle rather than underlining his name.  Other times the tag line goes through the letters or there's no tag at all.  Since they are so different the safe way to buy his signature is to get a CGC SS in my opinion.  The ebay seller for this book is asking $50,000!

stan lee 11 times ebay stockdock777.jpg

stan lee 11 times.jpg

Edited by livingwater

14 minutes ago, RadiantGraphix said:

Its one of StockDoc's books... I'm willing to bet he didn't pay for more than half of those signatures, if any.  
Good way to ruin a book though.  That thing will never sell.

Agreed, who in their right mind.  I have a CGC SS 9.8 book that Stan signed huge once on front and once on back.  The book cost me nothing as it was done by a friend who was trying to get a small signature for me so I could have Ash do a tribute piece.  As we all know Stan did not sign blanks at the time so management pulled the blank out and instructed Stan to sign over the entire front and back.  Again, cost me nothing and its a 9.8.  I laughed about it when it happened.    

5 hours ago, ivdyer said:

Agreed, who in their right mind.  I have a CGC SS 9.8 book that Stan signed huge once on front and once on back.  The book cost me nothing as it was done by a friend who was trying to get a small signature for me so I could have Ash do a tribute piece.  As we all know Stan did not sign blanks at the time so management pulled the blank out and instructed Stan to sign over the entire front and back.  Again, cost me nothing and its a 9.8.  I laughed about it when it happened.    

Not a big deal, but was when/why was there a time Stan didn’t sign blanks?  I’ve had many signed by him, although most relatively long ago (8-10 yrs?).

12 hours ago, revat said:

Not a big deal, but was when/why was there a time Stan didn’t sign blanks?  I’ve had many signed by him, although most relatively long ago (8-10 yrs?).

Towards the latter end of his signing days, maybe the last 1-2 years, there was an unflattering image of Stan on a blank that he had signed and it became policy that he would no longer sign blanks.  I know some were done at private signings toward the end but he would not at shows.  This has been discussed before on the boards.  

1 hour ago, ivdyer said:

Towards the latter end of his signing days, maybe the last 1-2 years, there was an unflattering image of Stan on a blank that he had signed and it became policy that he would no longer sign blanks.  I know some were done at private signings toward the end but he would not at shows.  This has been discussed before on the boards.  

The straw that broke the camels back was a truly disgusting sketch. It was so grotesque that I felt that Stan and his team was justified in stopping the blank signing.

On 9/23/2019 at 8:29 AM, Antyreal said:

I've seen that, it's been on eBay for awhile now.  I don't think it'll sell for $50k though. I think it would have been nice if they did it by having one signature a year so we could see his signature progress thru time instead of 10 signatures at one time.....

Yup

That would have been cool.

On 9/24/2019 at 12:13 PM, Taneleer Tivan said:

IIRC they were asking for $1,000,000 for the longest time. lol

Ugh. Stockdoc's auctions irritate me way out of proportion.

Here's a fun exercise: Go to ebay and search for "Amazing 9.8". Then set your sort option to "Price+Shipping: highest first".

The first 5-10 books will always be stockdoc's stupidly overpriced, modern slabs.

Top on the list today is a 9.8 Amazing Spider-man #1 blank from 2015, which Stan has signed, sketched a stick figure Spidey, and written three of his catch phrases on. There is a long-scrolling page of these books on GPA; they appear to go for around $600. Not stockdoc's, though. He has his priced at... not 1 million dollars...not 2 million dollars... BUT 2.5 MILLION DOLLARS! 

That makes my head asplode.

Honestly, who wants that book? Is it nice to have Stan's signature? Sure. But you can pay way less for it one time on a much cooler book, which is what I feel 99.9% of people would do.

I guess the seller is appealing to the 0.01% out there that a) could afford it and b) can afford to be ridiculed for having spent such a silly amount on a useless book.

2 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Honestly, who wants that book? Is it nice to have Stan's signature? Sure. But you can pay way less for it one time on a much cooler book, which is what I feel 99.9% of people would do.

I guess the seller is appealing to the 0.01% out there that a) could afford it and b) can afford to be ridiculed for having spent such a silly amount on a useless book.

Agreed 100% but then again I ask myself, who the hell wants a Modern book signed by Stan Lee or books signed by him when it looks like he was having a seizure while signing?

The funny thing is that StockDoc and a ton of other eBay sellers utilize this tactic as "window dressing" to get eyeballs, follows, clicks, watchers, etc to their stores. This book has come up numerous many times on FaceBook BST groups, IG Live chats and even a few comic podcasts. IMHO I say kudos to him because the book serves it's purpose of 1) getting people to talk about him and his products 2) people that discover this book "usually" browse around for his other items which leads to sales.

1 hour ago, thatdudebooks said:

The funny thing is that StockDoc and a ton of other eBay sellers utilize this tactic as "window dressing" to get eyeballs, follows, clicks, watchers, etc to their stores. This book has come up numerous many times on FaceBook BST groups, IG Live chats and even a few comic podcasts. IMHO I say kudos to him because the book serves it's purpose of 1) getting people to talk about him and his products 2) people that discover this book "usually" browse around for his other items which leads to sales.

I have often heard the saying "there is no such thing as bad publicity," but I don't believe it myself. I'm more of an "all you've got is your reputation" kind of guy.

I don't look at a dealer trying to sell a $600 book for $2.5M, and think, "Hmmm...wonder what else he's got?"

However, I won't pretend that there is only one point of view on this. Anybody here ever buy from StockDoc? If so, what was your experience like?

3 hours ago, thatdudebooks said:

Yeah I am of the variety that has not desire to look further into what the person has. My desire is to message them that they are stupid, but that is just as stupid, so I laugh and carry on.

You want to window dress properly? Show cool books marked up slightly and then have other great stuff that is the right combo of price and desire. I respect the hell out of people who have fair prices on most of their stuff. Of course your wall books or books you want people to see might be inflated by a bit. But if it is double or triply value or some adsurd price on an oddity (which is what this book is), I have no interest in you or what you are selling. 

Also, a note on this StockDoc character...

All these weird items are seen as having been "sold" in his feedback at some point. So he has shill buyers or someone "buying" them and leaving positive feedback. Plus for a guy who has been around sine 2001, only 1000 or so feedbacks tells me they don't sell much.