• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very Early Simon Bisley Conan Sketch 1988
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Quite a few years ago I came across this Simon Bisley sketch which is Signed & dated "88" (1988).

Bisley pretty much began to cut his teeth in 1988 with published work. I've looked around CAF and cannot find any Bisley sketch work from this year. Most is 1990+

I am not well versed with OA; but was curious if the early dating of this sketch for a desired artist like Simon Bisley adds further to the desirability?

CE637BF7-108E-4732-AF50-D534D273E23B.jpg

3 hours ago, malvin said:

Yeah, if that was Lobo it might be a different story.  Even then a random is not as meaningful unless it was a design for the miniserieis. 

Of course I have his first published Lobo piece. :)

Malvin 

Now that I am in front of a computer instead of my phone, here is a link to the First Bisley Published Lobo Piece on my CAF

Thanks for looking

Malvin

On 9/23/2019 at 9:39 PM, malvin said:

Now that I am in front of a computer instead of my phone, here is a link to the First Bisley Published Lobo Piece on my CAF

Thanks for looking

Malvin

Very cool piece!  I mean that is for sure the one to own with Lobo #1 and Omega Men #3 covers.

I do like looking at these side by side and wondering if it was the inspiration for the Portrait Face concept done for Lobo just a few years later... :cloud9:

CE637BF7-108E-4732-AF50-D534D273E23B.jpglobo1of4__79715.1530643508.thumb.jpg.91c4f15fe8f94a8b194a023d2546aac1.jpg

I am some what of a Bisley expert and you are definitely right about your thoughts on the Conan sketch. Biz art from 1998 which is just around the time he stopped painting motorcycles and got his job on ABC warriors is hard to come by and definitely more sought after by Biz nuts like myself. Conan is also a theme with his work from his start to current day. If this sketch was done yesterday it would be worth a fraction of its value being from 1988.

19 minutes ago, Overthetopinc said:

I am some what of a Bisley expert and you are definitely right about your thoughts on the Conan sketch. Biz art from 1988 which is just around the time he stopped painting motorcycles and got his job on ABC warriors is hard to come by and definitely more sought after by Biz nuts like myself. Conan is also a theme with his work from his start to current day. If this sketch was done yesterday it would be worth a fraction of its value being from 1988.

Thanks @Overthetopinc !

THIS is what my intuition was telling me.  Glad to hear some inklings of confirmation from a fellow Biz Head. 

What I love about this piece is it actually seems to get more detail segmentation when you look at it with very squinted eyes.  I don't quite know how to explain it but try it out.  

Even though its dated 1988, this looks more like a sketch from at least 1993. He started in 1987 and didnt really "settle" into his style ie the chunky,sloppy spotted blacks until after the first Lobo mini series. 

Even though it looks like a sketch from 1993 ???...it’s dated with sig 1988 :baiting:

Looks more like an experimental piece. Or commission even. Was never published for professional work. That is probably why the style variance is there. I mean it looks like he used a fat sharpie for 90% of the Conan Portrait.  Where have you seen him use that style before?