• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #184 All Detergent Has Anyone Seen This Version?
4 4

125 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, GACollectibles said:

I appreciate (almost all) the contributions to this thread

Yes, @ComicWhiz did rather let the side down didn't he 9_9

Spoiler

@ComicWhiz  :foryou: :jokealert::foryou:

7 minutes ago, GACollectibles said:
52 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
  • The book is legitimate, and is the result of an effective mistake at the time of production (i.e. a priced copy was used in error, with the sticker placement being out of character to other copies itself possibly being linked to the fact that the priced copy was used, maybe because the original supply was exhausted)
  • The book was created as a wind up, long ago, using a self made sticker, by someone who wanted to see a debate like this unfold. To my mind, they would not have done it this way to make money had they had the good fortune to find an original unused sticker. They would have found a no price copy to stick the spare sticker on and made some money. 

I think you can add a third scenario

• The was created post production without nefarious intentions (owner peels off sticker from All no price variant and sticks it on regular price because, well, it was Friday)

I still say that is too unlikely. A self made sticker maybe, yes, but only a complete wally would consciously peel one off an existing no price copy for a nefarious laugh 

I'm still in the camp that thinks this was produced originally with the sticker added to the regular price issue.  Why, I do not know.  I think it would be next to impossible to remove the sticker from the no price copy and then re-apply it to the 35 cent version.  The sticker in my mind looks like the same as the no price issues.  

I doubt we will ever know because we do not even know the details behind the no price version. 

A good mystery, none the less.

Edited by Spider-Variant

If some previous owners decided at some point to remove the sticker from a no price and stick it on to this one wouldn't there be some indication of peel off removal along the outer edge of sticker? It appears to be consistently flat along its outer edge. 

If someone had the ability to reproduce such an identical facsimile All sticker wouldn't they have the presence of mind to place it where the others are on the no price copies?

Wouldn't it be possible those no price copies without the sticker never had them? 

I'd agree with the scenario proposed by some that it may of been the result of a store employee acting on their own. I wonder if its possible to send it off to CGC for a screening and have them determine how they'd characterize it on the label??? Worth a shot 

14 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

If some previous owners decided at some point to remove the sticker from a no price and stick it on to this one wouldn't there be some indication of peel off removal along the outer edge of sticker? 

I think so, yes

If someone had the ability to reproduce such an identical facsimile All sticker wouldn't they have the presence of mind to place it where the others are on the no price copies?

I think so, yes

Wouldn't it be possible those no price copies without the sticker never had them? 

I think so, yes 

I'd agree with the scenario proposed by some that it may of been the result of a store employee acting on their own. I wonder if its possible to send it off to CGC for a screening and have them determine how they'd characterize it on the label??? Worth a shot 

What could they realistically say? They can't call it a 'no price variant'. As such, brilliantly intriguing though some of us find it, it's just a regular copy with a sticker on it. 

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

What could they realistically say? They can't call it a 'no price variant'. As such, brilliantly intriguing though some of us find it, it's just a regular copy with a sticker on it. 

Probably so but there may be a chance they could characterize it as "All detergent giveaway pricing error"? I'd at least try to look into it. Its better than just having it sit around in a bag & board without ever knowing. 

3 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Probably so but there may be a chance they could characterize it as "All detergent giveaway pricing error"? I'd at least try to look into it. Its better than just having it sit around in a bag & board without ever knowing. 

But they can't legitimately characterise it that way as there's no evidence to support that conclusion, only guesswork. There's only one way to find out of course, but I'm reasonably confident that they'd grade it as a regular copy with a big yellow post production sticker on it. Or, they'd mess it up and label it as a no price variant with Mark Jewelers insert :bigsmile:

1 minute ago, MGsimba77 said:

At least he knows 

Yes. It's a great thing, regardless. And it's fun to speculate over weird comic anomalies on a comic forum isn't it :headbang:

20 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

If some previous owners decided at some point to remove the sticker from a no price and stick it on to this one wouldn't there be some indication of peel off removal along the outer edge of sticker? It appears to be consistently flat along its outer edge.

Of the 18 copies which were shared on page 1 of this thread, only 3 show a sign of removal on copies without a sticker. That's roughly 12 to 13 copies without a sticker with no sign of removal, versus 3 that show signs. The rest were no price variants with stickers. That's somewhere around a 75% chance of being able to remove it without any sign of removal, if we believe all 5,000 of these were stickered.

Sticker removal is a hot button topic in other collecting categories I'm involved with. There's an inordinate amount of energy spent around removal techniques - everything from using steam, to naphtha, blow dryers and even the use of clothing irons. There's a more deceitful element that save stickers that peel off over time on vintage pieces, to reuse them to mask defects.

I've seen pieces where there is no sign of residue, and others where it's as clear as day that a sticker was once there. On the former, I know a sticker was removed because I once owned the piece and someone down the line of ownership decided the sticker had to go.

Neither the amount of time the sticker was on the piece, nor the history/provenance associated to it would seem to matter to those who loathe their appearance.

So there is no doubt a sticker can be saved if the removal is done well enough, but what none of the above mentioned techniques can do is restore the original adhesion strength. This includes trying to put stickers that peel-off on their own back in play. To use a donor sticker on a piece that never had one, an intermediary adhesive would be necessary.

Edited by comicwiz

21 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

Sticker removal is a hot button topic in other collecting categories I'm involved with. There's an inordinate amount of energy spent around removal techniques - everything from using steam, to naphtha, blow dryers and even the use of clothing irons. There's a more deceitful element that save stickers that peel off over time on vintage pieces, to reuse them to mask defects.

Ok but say someone at some point in time knew the sticker added value and used a sophisticated technique to remove it from another copy that...Maybe had the cover ripped off or whatever. I'm just figuring if this person had such knowledge they'd of placed the sticker over the barcode like the others not wherever they wanted. Again, the sticker itself doesn't appear (emphasis on appear) to have signs of having been peeled up along the edges. It also looks to have wear/surface wear consistent with the book.

The fact that it was in some dollar bin could be explained away by an unsuspecting inheritor. The translucency differences can be due to the scans or maybe the production of the sticker itself? Are you aware of any other promotion from All detergent in which the same sticker was used? In any regard its really a fascinating anomaly to try and figure out!

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

Ok but say someone at some point in time knew the sticker added value and used a sophisticated technique to remove it from another copy that...Maybe had the cover ripped off or whatever. I'm just figuring if this person had such knowledge they'd of placed the sticker over the barcode like the others not wherever they wanted. Again, the sticker itself doesn't appear (emphasis on appear) to have signs of having been peeled up along the edges. It also looks to have wear/surface wear consistent with the book.

The fact that it was in some dollar bin could be explained away by an unsuspecting inheritor. The translucency differences can be due to the scans or maybe the production of the sticker itself? Are you aware of any other promotion from All detergent in which the same sticker was used? In any regard its really a fascinating anomaly to try and figure out!

There's just too many variables. I simply wanted to explain/elaborate that a successful sticker removal is not only possible, but performed very regularly on high end collectibles (much to my disdain, as I'm a "leave it alone" kind of collector), and that the population data at least from worthpoint past sales would seem to indicate a high success rate on this particular comic.

Edited by comicwiz

51 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

There's just too many variables. I simply wanted to explain/elaborate that a successful sticker removal is not only possible, but performed very regularly on high end collectibles (much to my disdain, as I'm a "leave it alone" kind of collector), and that the population data at least from worthpoint past sales would seem to indicate a high success rate on this particular comic.

(thumbsu...I agree with your theory on page two. Store clerk having 1 more sticker than no price copy then applies sticker to regular copy. Store gets to sell their bottle of detergent to spidey fan's mom...everyone happy!...well except maybe for Marvel xD

Edited by MGsimba77

16 hours ago, comicwiz said:

Of the 18 copies which were shared on page 1 of this thread, only 3 show a sign of removal on copies without a sticker. That's roughly 12 to 13 copies without a sticker with no sign of removal, versus 3 that show signs. The rest were no price variants with stickers. That's somewhere around a 75% chance of being able to remove it without any sign of removal, if we believe all 5,000 of these were stickered.

Where does the 5000 number come from?  I haven't seen any print/distribution numbers for the give away.

As I think you have correctly pointed out, the sticker was easier to remove without damaging the book than one would think.  I could then postulate that there are copies of ASM 184 with the 35 cent price that had the sticker applied (as the OP's copy did) and subsequently removed without anyone noticing, and thus the reason we have not seen this version of the book before.  Again, probably unlikely, but certainly possible.