• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to sell low-grade Silver Age comics

11 posts in this topic

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question but I'm looking for advice about selling a few dozen very low-grade Silver Age comics I inherited from family members. I've read and enjoyed them but it's time for them to move on. I took pictures of some of them. The pictures aren't great but they'll give you an idea of the condition.

What's the best way to sell these? List them by title on eBay? List the Marvel comics in one lot and the Gold Key in another? List them as a single lot on eBay? Bring them to a local comic store? Based on sold listings on eBay, the Daredevil #4 and some of the Amazing Spider-Man issues may be worth something. If I bring these to a local store, what should I realistically expect for comics like these? $1 a book? $2 a book?

Basically, I'm wondering what's the easiest way to sell these comics. Thanks.

comics1.thumb.jpg.3f6167cd74057973d0700e4b0b25a7dd.jpgcomics2.thumb.jpg.fd9298d5207ca2cf9865540a57a453ca.jpgcomics3.thumb.JPG.aee695c94a39829cb3087af7597ecdc5.JPGcomics4.thumb.JPG.5499fe6fb20a8b9946dd5be6843e6e96.JPGcomics5.thumb.JPG.c58c3c7a4c182ef57a37ab510562cc7a.JPGcomics6.thumb.JPG.136879fe9f93e5d25251f29dab185d5c.JPG

You are a comic shops wet dream.  You have some pretty nice minor key books that will go for nice money (ie Spidey 31 and Daredevil 4) but you will have to do some of the work to make some decent cash.  i would recommend looking up past sales on e-bay (there is a tab you can click on the left side half way down to see see sold books after you search for the item).  There are so few books you can list them each for free with good pictures and either go the auction route or place a buy It Now and wait for the sales to come to you.  However - if you only want $2 a book I'd be happy to pay you $30 for the batch and you can wash your hands of them :devil:

8 hours ago, 1Cool said:

You are a comic shops wet dream.  You have some pretty nice minor key books that will go for nice money (ie Spidey 31 and Daredevil 4) but you will have to do some of the work to make some decent cash.  i would recommend looking up past sales on e-bay (there is a tab you can click on the left side half way down to see see sold books after you search for the item).  There are so few books you can list them each for free with good pictures and either go the auction route or place a buy It Now and wait for the sales to come to you.  However - if you only want $2 a book I'd be happy to pay you $30 for the batch and you can wash your hands of them :devil:

I think I underestimated how much these are worth. I'm awful at grading, so when I compared my books to recent sales on eBay I didn't think mine were comparable. I'll have to do more research and figure out how much time I want to put into selling these books. Thanks for the advice.

look at key colltor that should help you a bit on the value of the comics you have some good ones like those asm's are really good if you bring it to a comic store they will ask for half so lets say that asm 41 is at 35 bucks low grade on key colltor the owner may give you like 20 bucks for it or if you don't like that go to ebay check recent bids and go from there but people get steals sometimes on ebay so research a lot and good luck

If you can’t grade and therefore can’t determine value...just throw them up on eBay for auction with really good pics. If you can manage to muster up a grade you’re comfortable advertising (maybe see the PGM section of the boards and people will help you), sell them here! Your inbox probably has quite a few PMs from the :jaws:s already...

Edited by Callaway29

5 hours ago, drotto said:

Honestly on keys and minor keys my LCS will go to about 70%.

I know a few local dealers that will go 80-85%.My lcs don't really seem to hire folks with any interest or knowledge in back issues-I think 95% of the business is non book sales tbh.Whatever keeps the doors open I guess.I still visit,pick up supplies,try and support local artists endeavors.