• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Misattributed cover art thread...
1 1

40 posts in this topic

I'm not aware of any prior threads on this topic, but it wouldn't surprise me if the topic has been broached before to some degree.  The idea here is to point out art that either is believed to be misattributed or provide better attribution for art that looks familiar.  While the latter is interesting from the standpoint of improving available information, it would certainly be of interest to correct errors in respect to art that has been officially attributed to one artist when it's demonstrably the work of someone else.  I'll start this thread off by taking exception to my own policy of not posting the covers with CGC labels.  This appears to be a mistaken attribution...

edited-image_zpsogdpsg6j.thumb.jpg.f63aff1cad8ec9a0200001cfee19bbb5.jpg

The reason to believe this isn't an Everett cover (besides not really looking much like his interior work) is that it appears in the biographical retrospective CHROMA The Art of Alex Schomburg by Jon Gustafson, published in 1986 (Chroma was published under Alex's copyright).  Also, the cover of Marvel Mystery #9 is attributed in CHROMA to Alex, but CGC has attributed this cover to both Everett and Schomburg on at least one label (maybe someone can clear up whether some evidence has come forward that this is a collaboration).

Anyway, this should be an interesting topic to mull over, and please post examples that you question or artists you think are deserving of attribution where none exists.  Here's the reference source (still obtainable through Amazon and other vendors)...

51OqtP3dmxL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

Here's another, without any cover art attribution on the label (interior art is attributed)...  

9d283def-a306-4c8d-9e4e-7e29fa8b6cdb_zps2ae44d89.jpg.f1d491f1cc066146e830fb54057ab631.jpg

Note: This appears as a full page illustration in CHROMA as being by Alex Schomburg.

OTOH, this is attributed to Alex Schomburg and while conveying some aspects of his technique appears less refined than other MM covers he rendered during the same period ...

edited-image_zpsbawzhmea.jpg.be4bf49d8a994a88707bd9ff127f0b1a.jpg

Perhaps it was a different artist imitating his style or a new inker inexperienced with his more detailed pencils.

Or maybe Alex was just rushed having multiple deadlines to meet from different publishers.  Any opinions?

4 hours ago, Bronty said:

The ones that come to mind for me as a result of past board discussions are 

- PL 17 feldstein not Baker; and

- certain pre hero DC’s (Flanagan not O’Mealia)

Which O'Mealia's do you think aren't O'Mealia's?  I thought all of his were signed.  I'd have as O'Mealia:

Action 2-6

Detective 20, 21 (18 is Flessel)

Adventure 41

and probably Superman 1.  

8 hours ago, Bronty said:

The ones that come to mind for me as a result of past board discussions are 

- PL 17 feldstein not Baker; and

- certain pre hero DC’s (Flanagan not O’Mealia)

That’s interesting.  I’ve always thought this cover ...and several other Phantom Lady covers... looked a bit more like Jack Kamen’s work, but there isn’t a single defining characteristic.  While at first blush it looks more like Baker than Feldstein, there are several points of similarity on the cover of PL 17 to Al’s style.  Nothing I’d be willing to hang my hat on, but intriguing nonetheless.

Whatever it is Al Feldstein brought to “headlight” comics certainly gives rise to speculation.  hm

I've got the Flanagan books sorted out.  Made a thread in here somewhere.

Phantom Lady will never be sorted out.  I believe multiple hands were involved.

The only mis-attributed O'Mealia may be Superman 1 (which I've only heard of recently), and it apparently was only to frame the Shuster Superman image.

I think Marvel 9 is also mis-attributed which gives Everett co-credit for the cover. The twisted metal girders later proved to be a Schomburg specialty. Sub-Mariner on Marvel 9 has a more pulpy look than later books. Schomburg would replace the brown hair with a more cartoony rendition with black hair and a sharp hairline, but I think the facial structure and arm muscles on Marvel 9 are consistent with later Schomburg drawings. The Torch looks 100% Schomburg and the motorcycle cop bares a strong similarity to other books that Schomburg drew during the same period.  

marvel 9 cgc logo.JPG

marvel 9 (schomburg proof) plain.jpg

On 9/26/2019 at 9:37 PM, OtherEric said:

Back to the original cover:  is it possible Everett did the Sub-Mariner panel?  That would make the cover attribution correct, if incomplete.

Interesting perspective.  It seems unlikely because a) even if someone in the front office slapped Schomberg’s art next to Torch & Subby side vignettes by Burgos and Everett.it would still be mostly Alex’s cover, and b) assuming the cover illustration was pasted on, partially covering the lettering above the vignettes, the smaller illustrations still are still likely to have been by Alex Schomburg (both illos fit his style, just look at the vignettes on Daring Mystery #7 which are attributed entirely to Alex Schomburg In CHROMA).

Anyway, you posed an interesting theory. (thumbsu

The most famous misattributed cover is Phantom Lady #17 which is NOT by Matt Baker. The misattribution is so entrenched now that it would take an act of Congress to change it. 

The actual artist is unknown, but Al Feldstein might have been involved with the pencils or inks. It sure looks like him, but he did not remember doing any Phantom Lady covers.