• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Misattributed cover art thread...
1 1

40 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Sarg said:

The most famous misattributed cover is Phantom Lady #17 which is NOT by Matt Baker. The misattribution is so entrenched now that it would take an act of Congress to change it. 

The actual artist is unknown, but Al Feldstein might have been involved with the pencils or inks. It sure looks like him, but he did not remember doing any Phantom Lady covers. 

It definitely isn't Baker; it could be Kamen. If I had seen that cover without knowing anything about its history, I think my first guess would have been Chuck Cuidera (but I think he was at Timely when that book was produced).

On 9/26/2019 at 4:29 PM, rjpb said:

There are a few Harvey hero covers I've seen attributed to Schomburg, but don't look like his work. I'm not sure if CGC contributes to this.

Yeah, Like Speed Comics #29 which is definitely not Schomburg, though CGC and GCD both attribute it to him.

On 9/28/2019 at 7:40 PM, Sarg said:

The most famous misattributed cover is Phantom Lady #17 which is NOT by Matt Baker. The misattribution is so entrenched now that it would take an act of Congress to change it. 

The actual artist is unknown, but Al Feldstein might have been involved with the pencils or inks. It sure looks like him, but he did not remember doing any Phantom Lady covers. 

Yet someone just paid ~121k for PL 17 in the HA auction?...Someone betting it IS Baker?

16 minutes ago, Casablanca said:

Yet someone just paid ~121k for PL 17 in the HA auction?...Someone betting it IS Baker?

Gotta say Robert, if my opinion counts for anything, there is ZERO chance Matt Baker drew the entire cover for PL 17. Somebody show me any cover work with that hand anatomy, or the over swollen chesticles on that cover. I'll wait...

9 hours ago, Joshua33 said:

Ok. How about this one? I've thought that this one looked like Baker for awhile. Especially the leg anatomy and the eyes. Reminds me of Crime Reporter and other work. Any thoughts?

20190929_141149.jpg

The difficulty with Baker is that he often had different inkers of varying ability, so a lot of Baker stuff looks like other artists. The legs on the above totally give it away as Baker pencils. But he may have just pencilled the woman, and other artists filled in the rest. The inks are pretty crude and slapdash. The right arm is ridiculously long -- somebody must have filled that in as an afterthought. Not a good effort. 

5 hours ago, Casablanca said:

PL 17 was a major book long before collector's were paying a premium for Baker covers. 121K seems a lot for for a non-1st appearance book, but some top classic covers have been going for nose-bleed prices in high grade for a while. 

7 minutes ago, Sarg said:

The difficulty with Baker is that he often had different inkers of varying ability, so a lot of Baker stuff looks like other artists. The legs on the above totally give it away as Baker pencils. But he may have just pencilled the woman, and other artists filled in the rest. The inks are pretty crude and slapdash. The right arm is ridiculously long -- somebody must have filled that in as an afterthought. Not a good effort. 

Looks like the arm was redrawn to clear the R in the Rulah logo.

1 hour ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Just a bit! I tend to think that the Allen Anderson attribution is most likely correct.

One of the reasons this happens is different graders have graded these books over the years, and they add or subtract comments at their discretion. From what I understand, CGC finally had to limit the amount of people that were entering art and key comments on the labels due to conflicting information like the examples you've shown...  :foryou: