• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warning: More Corrupt, Fraudulent, and Criminal Behavior by eBay
1 1

257 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, masterlogan2000 said:

I think it's pretty common knowledge at this point, but to be clear and to provide accurate information...

Buyers CANNOT receive negative feedback.  If a buyer doesn't pay, the seller can file a non-paying bidder strike against them, but only eBay sees those.  Supposedly, after three strikes in a year, the buyer is kicked off the platform.  However, since there is no transparency, and since the buyers can easily appeal any strike, I don't think many people ever get reprimanded.

With all that said, buyers can pretty much do whatever they want without any consequences.

So than only Ebay sees if a buyer does something wrong?

That seems really one sided.

How can other sellers know the buyer is legit?

On 9/25/2019 at 10:10 AM, Bookery said:

This is what makes comic collecting superior to all other fields... the bargains that can be had are astounding!  Sure... judging by auction results, that $400 could have gotten you a signed Theodore Roosevelt letter, a land grant autographed by John Quincy Adams, a hand-written note from H.G. Wells, a document signed by Aaron Burr, not 1 but 3 letters signed by Alexander Dumas, or a one-page document autographed by King Henry IV of France in 1610... all well and good.  But when that money can get you a modern comic signed by Lapham & Shooter... now that's what is called savvy investing!  :wink:

I've got this King Henry IV of France autograph picture. 

992648494_kinghenryivautograph3.jpg.824c53238ca1bf23199dad91e3464bd9.jpg

Edited by Jaylam

Clarifications:

1. The book was signed by Layton (and Shooter), not Lapham.

2. The book sold for $450, verifiable at GPAnalysis. eBay is unreliable when it comes to reporting prices on ended listings for Best Offers.

3. As has been explained many, many times before, the signatures added value because of the condition of the book. Had that been a 9.0 copy, those added signatures would have added very little, if anything, to the value of the book. 

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

So than only Ebay sees if a buyer does something wrong?

That seems really one sided.

How can other sellers know the buyer is legit?

Sellers used to regularly leave retaliatory feedback after ripping people off. I look at feedback they left for others and responses

Edited by the blob

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Clarifications:

3. As has been explained many, many times before, the signatures added value because of the condition of the book. Had that been a 9.0 copy, those added signatures would have added very little, if anything, to the value of the book. 

Any 9.0 SS copies recorded on GPA?

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Clarifications:

1. The book was signed by Layton (and Shooter), not Lapham.

2. The book sold for $450, verifiable at GPAnalysis. eBay is unreliable when it comes to reporting prices on ended listings for Best Offers.

And just to clarify (for my post at least), I'm just teasing.  I sell sig series books myself in the shop.  In fact, that same book would sell far more quickly for me than any Aaron Burr (or Henry IV) signature, despite my own value preferences.  Of course it's silly to mix and match different fields of interest for comparison, hence the just-having-fun point.  But... fun aside, your thread is a serious one, and not meaning to derail it... here's hoping you can ultimately get your book back undamaged... we all fear similar situations whenever we mail off an expensive item.

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

So the sigs doubled the value instead of tripled (shrug)

Flipper: "Your signature will not add much at all to the value of this book"
Creator: "It will if it's a 9.8"

4 minutes ago, kav said:

I can see Kneel Atoms saying that.

I would love to see Neal tell one of these fanboys " hey, I don't need you, you need me" when they complain about how much he charges for books that are to be slabbed.

39 minutes ago, Bookery said:

And just to clarify (for my post at least), I'm just teasing.  I sell sig series books myself in the shop.  In fact, that same book would sell far more quickly for me than any Aaron Burr (or Henry IV) signature, despite my own value preferences.  Of course it's silly to mix and match different fields of interest for comparison, hence the just-having-fun point.  But... fun aside, your thread is a serious one, and not meaning to derail it... here's hoping you can ultimately get your book back undamaged... we all fear similar situations whenever we mail off an expensive item.

I have a document with Jesus Christ's signature on it. How much are you offering?

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

I would love to see Neal tell one of these fanboys " hey, I don't need you, you need me" when they complain about how much he charges for books that are to be slabbed.

"Look I didnt get much more for the last book you signed-"
"Yes but you got a **** ton more for plenty of books I signed before that.  You dont get to use me as a buffer for the books that sell less than you would like-"

1 minute ago, kav said:

"Look I didnt get much more for the last book you signed-"
"Yes but you got a **** ton more for plenty of books I signed before that.  You dont get to use me as a buffer for the books that sell less than you would like-"

I like Neal, I make it a point to either buy something from him or just say hello to him when I see him at shows. I am all for him making as much money as he can...he's done so much for the industry over the years, he deserves everything he can get IMHO.

3 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I like Neal, I make it a point to either buy something from him or just say hello to him when I see him at shows. I am all for him making as much money as he can...he's done so much for the industry over the years, he deserves everything he can get IMHO.

exactly.  If I ever saw him I would just walk up and hand him $20 and say here dude thanks for being.

Just now, kav said:

I see a business model here.

I love watching him interact with people. He's direct and has a very good sense of humor...I've seen him irritate people because they had a corncob stuck you know where and I'm chuckling the whole time. 

I get it.

Just now, Logan510 said:

I love watching him interact with people. He's direct and has a very good sense of humor...I've seen him irritate people because they had a corncob stuck you know where and I'm chuckling the whole time. 

I get it.

Definitely sounds like my kind of guy.