• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warning: More Corrupt, Fraudulent, and Criminal Behavior by eBay
1 1

257 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

He was screaming out to people at NYCC last time like Grandpa Abe Simpson.  It was kind of off-putting.   I was with another boardie and it was kind of bizarre.  I have a Batman 227 that I had signed by him that he promised I would put up on eBay but yet, I still have it in my collection.  He gets kind of weird sometimes when I see him but I have to admit that there are times that I find him fascinating.  

Recently though?  He is on my walk on by list. 

Neal's not so bad. You just need to hand him money. I respect the fact that he charges everyone the exact same price, regardless of where he thinks the book might be going. Despite the attempts by a few to deliberately muddy the argument by suggesting that ANY price is the issue, rather than a SEPARATE price "for CGC", the issue remains the same. I support creators charging anything they want, so long as they charge EVERYONE the same price. Equality is what a lot of people strive for, right? Neal wants to charge $1,000 for his signature, I say "go for it!" He won't be signing much anymore, but it's his signature, he can charge what he likes. 

My hope is that shining a light on this issue will counter the misinformation deliberately spread about it.

That is funny, though, these creators who get bent out of shape when people sell things. Who do they think these things are going to...? People who want them. After all...their entire careers are based on creating things that other people then take and sell.

Freedom is mostly what people strive for and I believe a creator should be free to charge whatever he wants as long as its not based on race, sex, religion or ethnicity.  If he wants to charge people wearing green shirts twice as much as everyone else, he should be completely free to do that.

Discrimination is discrimination, whether it's based on immutable characteristics or not. Why make a distinction with race, sex, religion, and ethnicity...?

So a cis hetero male shouldn't be free to charge a pretty woman a lower price...? Or a guy who goes to his church...? Those would be based on sex and religion.

And the green shirt guy can take off his shirt and pay the lower price. Problem solved.

It's not about "freedom" unless people are being prevented, by force, from doing something. Since that's not the case, "freedom" is irrelevant to this issue. 

5 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Neal's not so bad. You just need to hand him money. I respect the fact that he charges everyone the exact same price, regardless of where he thinks the book might be going. Despite the attempts by a few to deliberately muddy the argument by suggesting that ANY price is the issue, rather than a SEPARATE price "for CGC", the issue remains the same. I support creators charging anything they want, so long as they charge EVERYONE the same price. Equality is what a lot of people strive for, right? Neal wants to charge $1,000 for his signature, I say "go for it!" He won't be signing much anymore, but it's his signature, he can charge what he likes. 

My hope is that shining a light on this issue will counter the misinformation deliberately spread about it.

That is funny, though, these creators who get bent out of shape when people sell things. Who do they think these things are going to...? People who want them. After all...their entire careers are based on creating things that other people then take and sell.

Oh I have no problem with his price structure he can do what he wants.  I paid $15 for the signature years ago. 

I’m not exaggerating though.  He was literally yelling out across the floor at NYCC for people to come see the real show.  I was a decent distance away and he was yelling so loud above the crowd and throwing out random phrases that it was kind of weird. 

Kind of like Abe Simpson or the guy a few seats ahead of me who is rapping along with his music.  If you didn’t know he had wireless headphones you would think he’s ranting and raving to himself. 

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Oh I have no problem with his price structure he can do what he wants.  I paid $15 for the signature years ago. 

I’m not exaggerating though.  He was literally yelling out across the floor at NYCC for people to come see the real show.  I was a decent distance away and he was yelling so loud above the crowd and throwing out random phrases that it was kind of weird. 

Kind of like Abe Simpson or the guy a few seats ahead of me who is rapping along with his music.  If you didn’t know he had wireless headphones you would think he’s ranting and raving to himself. 

yeah, see, this is the Neal I've seen more often than not. I'm not "talking bad" about him, I'm just reporting the facts, which are neither good nor bad, they're just facts. I've handed him a stack of cash and he was very chummy and pleasant. I've witnessed him be pretty cranky. But more than anything I just pass on his booth entirely to avoid the hucksterism. It's neither good nor bad in and of itself, he's trying to make money, and good for him. Just doesn't appeal to me. Of course, if he really wants to make some cash, he'd probably do well to cut back on the sheer amount of space he's paying for. Geez louise, his tables take up a whole GD wing of a convention floor!

14 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

And the green shirt guy can take off his shirt and pay the lower price. Problem solved.

Neal would probably end up paying the guy to put his shirt back on.

14 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

20 hours ago, Logan510 said:

What the...?!?! How did you know it was Claremont?

Okay, that's plain hilarious. What are the odds it happened to be the same guy?! 

19 hours ago, the blob said:

He was very pleasant when he signed books for free for me at a show.

I'm Aussie, so it's very rare for us to get creators over here, and even rarer the further you go back. With that rarity goes price, as it obviously costs a lot to fly them here and accommodate them. I've idolised Claremont since I was young, and have purchased many signed books of his, but the chance to meet him and get one in the flesh? Heaven! 

Get there, slapped down my money to get my sig and say a quick hello, welcome to Australia, and thank you for providing me with some of the pivotal stories of my youth that meant so much to me then and still resonate with me today, and.... I didn't get to say ANY of that, as the shushed me, and immediately turned back to continue a conversation with Greg Capullo, and waved me away after he'd scribbled on the book. All I got to say was 'Huh', and a sorta half smile as a grimaced attempt to be polite as a thank you. That attempt to be polite? Got me a second 'move along' movement from him. All within a half-second. This quality interaction all took place for the low-low price of 35 or 40 bucks AU. 

The book went straight in the trash. It had never been about the book, though. The book was to be my link to the memory of meeting Claremont, and the joy of that moment, of finally getting my 30 seconds to greet him and say thanks. It was now as trashed as my opinion of him. 

Eff that guy. 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

1 hour ago, Larryw7 said:

Neal would probably end up paying the guy to put his shirt back on.

Sometimes an analogy is taken as a factual statement and responded to as such. lol 

2 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Okay, that's plain hilarious. What are the odds it happened to be the same guy?! 

I'm Aussie, so it's very rare for us to get creators over here, and even rarer the further you go back. With that rarity goes price, as it obviously costs a lot to fly them here and accommodate them. I've idolised Claremont since I was young, and have purchased many signed books of his, but the chance to meet him and get one in the flesh? Heaven! 

Get there, slapped down my money to get my sig and say a quick hello, welcome to Australia, and thank you for providing me with some of the pivotal stories of my youth that meant so much to me then and still resonate with me today, and.... I didn't get to say ANY of that, as the shushed me, and immediately turned back to continue a conversation with Greg Capullo, and waved me away after he'd scribbled on the book. All I got to say was 'Huh', and a sorta half smile as a grimaced attempt to be polite as a thank you. That attempt to be polite? Got me a second 'move along' movement from him. All within a half-second. This quality interaction all took place for the low-low price of 35 or 40 bucks AU. 

The book went straight in the trash. It had never been about the book, though. The book was to be my link to the memory of meeting Claremont, and the joy of that moment, of finally getting my 30 seconds to greet him and say thanks. It was now as trashed as my opinion of him. 

Eff that guy. 

I can understand your plight about the rare opportunities of meeting these creators, I live in Belfast N.Ireland and found out that Herb Trimpe was appearing at a local con the first ever held in N.Ireland, so I bought his artist edition of the Hulk and guess what he cancelled, I was so angry as it was a few days before the show. On the other hand Jose Delbo  came and he was great he chatted to me and even doodled me as a detective character on a sheet of paper filled on the other side with Wonder woman doodles!  He gave me it for free as I bought a A3 Spider-man drawing from him which he signed twice, that's the kind of memory you expected I'm sure Mecha.(thumbsu   

I brought all my Jeffrey Brown books to a con and he signed every one and drew a picture in each one.  He sent me numerous drawings and post cards with comic strips on them when I mailed him letters.  He agreed to collaborate on a one pager-one I penciled and he inked, one he penciled and I inked.  Very nice guy.

32 minutes ago, tv horror said:

I can understand your plight about the rare opportunities of meeting these creators, I live in Belfast N.Ireland and found out that Herb Trimpe was appearing at a local con the first ever held in N.Ireland, so I bought his artist edition of the Hulk and guess what he cancelled, I was so angry as it was a few days before the show. On the other hand Jose Delbo  came and he was great he chatted to me and even doodled me as a detective character on a sheet of paper filled on the other side with Wonder woman doodles!  He gave me it for free as I bought a A3 Spider-man drawing from him which he signed twice, that's the kind of memory you expected I'm sure Mecha.(thumbsu   

That's a great experience! I must say, every other creator and personality I've met has been super nice. At that same con as Claremont, I had a great time with Katee Sackhoff and Tahmoh Penhikett from Battlestar Galactica, which totally made up for Claremont. It started earlier in the day with an attempt to explain to me how LA was so different to Australia, in that we don't put 'softeners' in the water like LA does. Note this was Katee 'explaining' this, and Tahmoh only came in because he heard her telling me about this and couldn't believe what he was hearing. It started a mock argument between them. Really funny stuff. 

Later on that day I had a photo booked with Katee. It was the middle of summer here, a hot, incredibly humid city. We're talking the kind of place where you walk outside having freshly showered, and five minutes later you feel like you haven't bathed in a week. The con was packed, the aircon was overworked, things were just nasty. I'd resprayed deodorant and spritzed some cologne but geez that wasn't going to be enough. 

I went in and she recognised me straight away, and greeted me by name. Nicely surprised by that. She went to hug me and I pushed her away. I explained I was covered in sweat, which was bad enough, expecting her to touch me while I was covered in my own sweat, but worse (in hindsight more for me than her, I guess), most of it wasn't my sweat, but that of the rando's who'd been bumping and grinding against me in the aisles and lines. I said I'd done my best with deodorant etc, but it wasn't enough, I smelt BAD, so you know, let's just keep a distance. 

She frowned at me, grabbed me, said she didn't care, and pulled me into her, full-on bear-hug. She thanked me for thinking of her, but said I'd paid for a photo, and was getting a good one. 

True to her word, she looks damn good in the photo. I'm making a stupid face. :cry:

4 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Eff that guy. 

I had him sign a power man and iron fist book. He was pointing out his corny dialogue. He wasn't getting paid either. It was a mini show in NYC put on by a friend to benefit a school. The other guest was Neil gaiman who had a line out the door. John Byrne bailed.