• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warning: More Corrupt, Fraudulent, and Criminal Behavior by eBay
1 1

257 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Jaylam said:

I had a package that was severely damaged when the buyer received it. Had a tire track on it and was flattened over almost 1/2 the shipping box.  About 1/4 of the slab inside was badly cracked and partially shattered. The buyer of course requested to return the item and get a refund. I had the buyer send me pictures and forwarded them to USPS to make a claim. I insured the item for its full purchase price which in this case was only around $120 if I remember correctly. However when I submitted the claim to USPS, their decision was to only pay $50 for damages, not the full insured amount. Their reasoning for the partial payment of the insurance claim was, in their opinion, the item was not a total loss. WTF! Of course in my mind, I'm thinking I paid for insurance for the whole amount of the sale, and the package and the item was damaged while in their care to the point the buyer did not want the item. That's a total loss to me, but tough s--t according to USPS. Take our payment or leave it regardless of what you paid us to insure your sale.

So to RMA, I'm curious to see if you get a full payment from USPS for the damaged item, or will they try to weasel you out of it by claiming the item is not a total loss in their opinion.

Did you get the book back? If you got it back and decided to reslab the book then it may have been financial loss considering what you paid to ship it combined with what you'd pay for the reslabbed vs the 50 dollar refund.

I'm almost positive assuming RMA ever sees this book again USPS won't consider it a total loss and only provide a partial insurance payout.

Edited by MGsimba77

I don't know if this is of any help, however it would appear that this is a loophole being used by scammers. That is, that they must be aware that eBay's evident based tracking framework only seems to care that the item is delivered. I say this because I was recently involved in a transaction where the seller must have used  a throwaway tracking number to comply with eBay's requirement to show a tracking number as proof the seller sent the item. Unfortunately, that item showed delivered to a different city altogether. When I went to the sellers eBay page, their feedback was conveniently set to private (I had intended to contact others asking if they too had not received their last shipment from the seller, or at least to see if there had been an uptick in negative feedback). By putting the feedback private, I wasn't able to do either of these things. When I tried to file a chargeback, there was an automated message saying "You are not covered by eBay for this transaction." I assumed it was because the tracking number showed it was delivered. In my mind I said "like $@#$#@ it's not covered." I called PayPal and initiated a claim while I was waiting on hold. By the time the PayPal CSR came on the line, the seller was no longer a registerred user, and my PayPal had refunded me the amount I paid for the item. I don't know if there was a threshold of complaints against this seller that I awoke or triggered some failsafe for fraud by initiating the claim, but it all happened within minutes.

Again, I don't know if this is of any value, but I think the tracking scenario might be a ruse by someone who knows how to play the system, and it may require more people coming forward who have had the same issue with this buyer. I do feel this is ultimately eBay's job, but the only thing they will chase down for certain is fees. The only way they will do someone right when wronged is if it makes them look bad, or if they discover that person avoided paying fees by their underhanded activity.

One final thing, USPS tracking is badly broken. I have packages that show they stopped moving just before Hurricane Dorian hit, and were long ago delivered (three of them two weeks ago, one arrived late last week). I am worried this will be exposed by an unscrupulous element as well. Stay safe.

Edited by comicwiz

4 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Did you get the book back? If I assume it's a slabbed book then it may have been financial loss considering what you paid to ship it combined with what you'd have to pay to have it reslabbed vs the 50 dollar refund.

I'm almost positive assuming RMA ever sees this book again USPS won't consider it a total loss and only provide a partial insurance payout.

Let's hope not. The letter I got says to take it to a post office, and I'm pretty friendly with the people at the Burbank PO, so I can probably get them to support my claim.

We'll see. I've only filed 3-4 claims, and the last time, it was for a $100 slab. They paid me $100, and let me keep the remains. This was maybe 4-5 years ago.

7 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

You would be very, very, surprised. 

In many cases, you are correct.  However, you would be very, very, surprised. 

Buzz I am aware of the kind of calls you are describing and they can indeed be very effective.  However these type of calls are ones where the recipient does not know who you are.  

2 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

USPS tracking is badly broken

I'll second that. This happened to me about two weeks ago. I had three shipments to go out. I did a USPS pickup request for my house. Always worked perfectly in the past. No pickup. Then I get an email later that day from USPS saying my package was successfully picked up. It's still sitting by the front door. So I repeat the request for Day 2. Same thing. No pickup, but I get another email saying it was successfully picked up. I can't wait to ship any longer. So day 3 I ask my wife to drop off package at work. We are down to just one vehicle right now, so I couldn't hand deliver to post office. Same day I hear the screen door open, dog goes crazy barking. Look outside and see the mail guy walking back to his vehicle. I guess he was there to pick up package from Day 1 and/or Day 2 that they said had already been picked up?

Just now, kav said:

Buzz I am aware of the kind of calls you are describing and they can indeed be very effective.  However these type of calls are ones where the recipient does not know who you are.  

Again you would be surprised. lol 

If I did what I did in 2007, I would have been arrested and successfully prosecuted in today's environment. 

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Again you would be surprised. lol 

If I did what I did in 2007, I would have been arrested and successfully prosecuted in today's environment. 

In the old days you could do so much stuff.  

5 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

LOL. Yea Buzz, if I ever p**s you off, please let me know so I can correct ASAP. I don't think I want to be on your bad side ;)

I am a responsible member of society and an all around nice guy. 

6 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

LOL. Yea Buzz, if I ever p**s you off, please let me know so I can correct ASAP. I don't think I want to be on your bad side ;)

Even this scares me.

SC.GIF

69843504_1335492539957819_4000949494366601216_n.jpg

30 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Did you get the book back? If I assume it's a slabbed book then it may have been financial loss considering what you paid to ship it combined with what you'd have to pay to have it reslabbed vs the 50 dollar refund.

Yes, the buyer sent the book back to me, I issued a full refund and I got the $50.00 payout from USPS. The book got re-slabbed and I sold it again later. In the end I was probably out a little above what USPS paid when you consider the re-holder cost, shipping and insurance back and forth. Fortunately, CGC said a re-grade was not necessary after reviewing the book as I sent it to them still in the same damaged slab for them to check out. Still, had they determined the book needed re-graded and came back a much lower grade, I would have been out more money. I'm just glad it was not a high dollar book or else I might have been screwed even more. It just seems misleading and fraudulent that USPS can determine to pay less for a loss than what you paid to insure the item/package for. If that's the case, then the least they can do is pro-rate a refund for the insurance premium.

Edited by Jaylam

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

It really looks like you are getting hit with a variation of the "same zip code scam" that has been going on with ebay/paypal for a while now.

My guess is the buyer sent back nothing, and is going to send the cracked slab to CGC to be reholdered.

That's what I suspected the moment I read the OP. 

There are some in the thread putting some blame on RMA because of not sending the correct return label. This is neither here nor there since if the package had been delivered to any of his return addresses would have resulted in him receiving the package. None of his return addresses had anything to do with where it ended up at Warner Brothers unless I missed something? 

Ebay is clearly in the wrong here not RMA! I don't know how Ebay decides that just simply having the item "delivered" back within a certain zip code or state is sufficient resolution without further investigation?

Btw if RMA doesn't receive this back/gets back an empty box becoming evident this was a scam it may be a good idea to identify the buyer. 

Edited by MGsimba77

4 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

I'm now more afraid of kav as he keeps posting that creepy image. I never really felt the need to double check all the locks and doors until about 15 minutes ago.

You see that dude outside your window you comply with seller's return instructions to the letter and then some.