• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How long did DC use their Mascot "Johnny DC"?

19 posts in this topic

Johnny DC.

I had never heard of this DC Mascot until I saw him in a Batman comic I'm selling today.

How long did DC use their Mascot, "Johnny DC"?  Did he ever gain traction or did they scrap him quickly?  Did they ever make a character toy of him?

Also, who's the bald guy in the upper right corner next to Flash?  Is that Luthor?

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

Near as I can tell he started around 1958 or so. Looking at the picture of the characters will give you a good idea. I used to have a couple plastic rack hangers with him on them from late '50's-early '60's but can't find them right now. I do have this cool DC promo glass that I got from famous Superman collector Danny Fuchs many years ago. He said it was an internal DC promo piece given to artists and executives.

dccomicsglass1.jpg

dccomicsglass2.jpg

dccomicsglass3.jpg

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Near as I can tell he started around 1958 or so. Looking at the picture of the characters will give you a good idea. I used to have a couple plastic rack hangers with him on them from late '50's-early '60's but can't find them right now. I do have this cool DC promo glass that I got from famous Superman collector Danny Fuchs many years ago. He said it was an internal DC promo piece given to artists and executives.

dccomicsglass1.jpg

dccomicsglass2.jpg

dccomicsglass3.jpg

Nice piece!

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

dccomicsglass1.jpg

Leave it to RobotMan to have a cool artifact of Johnny DC.   That's gotta be a pretty rare piece.

I think the ad I showed up above was from 1960 or 61

I don't know the answer to the original question.

However, as a kid in the 80's, I was introduced to the concept in Ambush Bug thanks to the spinoff character Jonni DC, Continuity Cop, who would patrol the comics making sure continuity wasn't messed up.

Jonni-DC.jpg.14a4db7fe03b900e4be88ca1e8222716.jpg

Jonni DC seems to have had a little more shelf like than her predecessor, as she re-appeared just last year in the pages of Harley Quinn.

DqCYBSDX4AAuhSs.thumb.jpg.63c3e3efbc834af56cef1530867946c8.jpg

On 9/25/2019 at 1:03 PM, Robot Man said:

dccomicsglass1.jpg

dccomicsglass2.jpg

dccomicsglass3.jpg

Great glass! I have one as well but I'll not bother to post my photos since yours are a lot better.

:smile:

I love the promotional items. They must be incredibly rare. I did want to point that here was nothing wrong with the Silver Age  Hawkman's helmet in the group shot. It is the one he wore in his first four appearances, Brave and the Bold #34, #35, #36 and #42 in 1961 and 1962. The more familiar helmet was first used in #43. Also, that is pretty much what the Martian Manhunter looked like at the time. 

7 hours ago, Gardner Broome said:

I did want to point that here was nothing wrong with the Silver Age  Hawkman's helmet in the group shot. It is the one he wore in his first four appearances, Brave and the Bold #34, #35, #36 and #42 in 1961 and 1962. The more familiar helmet was first used in #43.

Yes! And I still say that Hawkman's original headgear without the wings looked better.

:preach: