• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lichtenstein vs OA

29 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

I agree the art market is beginning to cool,

Here's your sample headline news stories in fine the art press. Cool no, cold yes.

Smart money is already well-hunkered down.

This is just generic advice for newbs and those that think this time it will be different ;)

Buy the rumor, sell the news.

Personal borrowing on unsecured loans, not counting student debt (a major problem) is lower than during the last recession

No.

we are running at full employment

Yes but quality is much lower, a lot of service sector (= minimum wage and waiters/bartenders). That's underemployment.

And...you do understand that unemployment (the opposite of full employment) is calculated as "those collecting unemployment benefits from their state". Lot of folks drop off the roll after six months of benefits runs out, which is not the same as getting a job. They are counted as employed re: full employment, which many are not. This is Labor Force Participation. Not greatly changed since hiring bounce following Fed QE.

BTW, that rounded top 1970 - 2000 is women entering the work force, two job households, latchkey kids in the 80s etc. I guess the other 35% or so are "in school" or just hangin' out playing video games and watching NF?

image.thumb.png.f1d51a58c299b6110f9b74a72b9a466f.png

Good question, OP.  I think I've mentioned on here that I collect fine art as well as OA and have wondered if anyone else does the same.  More to the point I collect contemporary figurative artists which I'd imagine the vast majority of the world hasn't heard of, but I really enjoy.  Names like Juliet Aristides, Candice Bohannon, Stephen Bauman, Jeremy Lipking, Robert Liberace, Colleen Barry, Travis Schlaht, Maria Kreyn, and so forth.  But, "fine art" is a big world, so there are lots of pitfalls as someone else mentioned above.  But many of the same rules apply, I think.  Such as do lots of research, talk to the artists (if you can) and their reps.  And most importantly buy what you love.  I'll be brave and share my most recent acquisition by an artist named Joshua LaRock.  It's titled 'Bather in White' (10" x 26").  Very Bouguereau, but today...

Image result for joshua larock bather in white

4 hours ago, vodou said:

Here's your sample headline news stories in fine the art press. Cool no, cold yes.

Smart money is already well-hunkered down.

This is just generic advice for newbs and those that think this time it will be different ;)

Buy the rumor, sell the news.

No.

Yes but quality is much lower, a lot of service sector (= minimum wage and waiters/bartenders). That's underemployment.

And...you do understand that unemployment (the opposite of full employment) is calculated as "those collecting unemployment benefits from their state". Lot of folks drop off the roll after six months of benefits runs out, which is not the same as getting a job. They are counted as employed re: full employment, which many are not. This is Labor Force Participation. Not greatly changed since hiring bounce following Fed QE.

BTW, that rounded top 1970 - 2000 is women entering the work force, two job households, latchkey kids in the 80s etc. I guess the other 35% or so are "in school" or just hangin' out playing video games and watching NF?

image.thumb.png.f1d51a58c299b6110f9b74a72b9a466f.png

I forgot to count auto loans, but yes. Saw that about a week or two ago in the Wall St. Journal. Credit card debt (the bulk after auto loans and student debt) are rising but still below the recession depths.

I do know the difference between underemployment and unemployment. I suggest that some of it is voluntary, like my eldest son’s circumstance, and in other cases, there will never be some of the old jobs, so they aren’t really underemployed. Just the reality of sending those factory jobs to China, etc. 

There has been increased pressure on wages, which have been rising. That is a backward indicator that the boom is almost over, since increased wages come at the end of a cycle.

Edited by Rick2you2

6 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

That’s not unsecured debt (neither is a car loan actually). Presumably, it includes mortgage debt.

No, that is just credit card & revolving consumer debt that is now > $1 trillion

Mortgage debt alone is > 15 trillion

Auto loans > $1 trillion

Student loans > $1.5 trillion

16 hours ago, glendgold said:

Tah-DAH!

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25276/lot/132/

I'd post an image but the censors might object. 

I'm quite attracted to that piece.  It is a nude print for those who don't want to follow the link.

What is lost on the internet is the scale, since it is five feet tall versus original comic book art being an "oversized" seventeen inches.

Nice info about the edition limitation of 40 (with 12 artist's proofs).  David