• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

7th Annual Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 3
7 7

303 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

I’ll look at the book tomorrow, but I think the colour flaked off. I could be wrong....

Andy, you did a great job of picking these, if they weren't hard it would not be a contest.

I undergraded the Super by a lot! There's a cb reader's crease (?) down almost the entire front spine area + whatever was going on in the lower left corner. Perhaps it wasn't a crease, I honestly don't know at this point but that book really threw me a googly.

Gift grade on the Batgirl but that's why this contest is so fun & challenging, Andy has a great eye for picking out the oddballs.

8 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

Remember when I said I believe they grade magazines differently from comics, due to their size.  More real estate means more allowance for flaws, proportionately.  That's been my thinking, anyway.

This is quite a large comic, so I believe they've used this way of thinking and grading as well. (thumbsu 

The books you pick, are you always in agreement with the grade or do you just pick the books?  On the other hand have you addressed this question before and I missed it?

Edited by JohnFranklin

2 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

I don't pick books that will intentionally stump people. I typically pick books that have interesting flaws.  I'm hoping to educate myself (and others) as to how CGC deals with certain defects. 

Other times, I may just fill up my 20 book slot with something that is pretty cool (like that Super Comics).  Never do I think about "is this really a 7.0??"

:golfclap:

That’s exactly why I entered this competition. I wanted to get a better understanding of how to grade these flaws.

29 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I went 7.0 on super and almost put 7 5 

I put 8.0 and on ba12 and almost out 8 .5

The Super doesnt bother me but that Ba12 really hurt...no was would have even given that 9.0

you got to remember these books are "pressed", with that corner crunch maybe it was nice and flat, or maybe the crunch didn't break color and the press made it a "bend" or "light stress" :foryou: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

Okay, that’s not micro chamber paper. 

The white line you see down the spine is a reading crease. The cover is of a harder card stock. When you open it all the way back, the colour breaks and leaves the “colour-breaking” crease. 

The very bottom of the spine still has all of it attached, it has just folded back and out of view in the scan.  Too bad that CGC didn’t fold it back into place before encapsulating it. 

C181A9E8-932C-47D3-8454-00C53D163DC1.jpeg

DB83DC2F-EA60-4D7B-B9B4-4028C824FF56.jpeg

32D62870-47B0-45F8-B132-1AC79685CD69.jpeg

C683A823-ACE1-4752-A358-C99EA378A51F.jpeg

Thanks for literally clearing this up.:foryou:

I stand by assertion that CGC dropped the ball.:sumo:

31 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

you got to remember these books are "pressed", with that corner crunch maybe it was nice and flat, or maybe the crunch didn't break color and the press made it a "bend" or "light stress" :foryou: 

:devil:

8 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Any chance you have a scan of the book  prior to it being pressed?:shy:

I assume the Bats wasn’t pressed, being that the bottom left corner would have been “fixed” if it had.hm

:kidaround:lol I don't know if your messing with me? lol 

6 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Any chance you have a scan of the book  prior to it being pressed?:shy:

I don't. 

I told everyone that "next year's" contest (ie. this year's) would have scans of the books before I ship them to CGC. That way, you can really see the book, and theoretically better.  Yeah, well...that didn't happen. lol

3 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

I don't pick books that will intentionally stump people. I typically pick books that have interesting flaws.  I'm hoping to educate myself (and others) as to how CGC deals with certain defects. 

Other times, I may just fill up my 20 book slot with something that is pretty cool (like that Super Comics).  Never do I think about "is this really a 7.0??"

Thanks for the quick response.  Honestly, I asked the question because I can't for the life of me, understand how the "Bat Girl" book with so many spine ticks and the bend corner on back of the book is a 9.2.  Input from anyone to help me understand my potentially flawed thinking will be appreciated.  I would like to do a better job grading. 

Just now, JohnFranklin said:

Thanks for the quick response.  Honestly, I asked the question because I can't for the life of me, understand how the "Bat Girl" book with so many spine ticks and the bend corner on back of the book is a 9.2.  Input from anyone to help me understand my potentially flawed thinking will be appreciated.  I would like to do a better job grading. 

It’s not your grading that needs help.:gossip:

That book isn’t a 9.2 by anyone’s standards

4 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

I don't. 

I told everyone that "next year's" contest (ie. this year's) would have scans of the books before I ship them to CGC. That way, you can really see the book, and theoretically better.  Yeah, well...that didn't happen. lol

I forgive you :foryou:

15 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I stand by assertion that CGC dropped the ball.:sumo:

Seconded. Send the comic back ASAP and demand they correct the grade to a proper 6.0 :sumo:

You paid good money for their service and it is shameful how they have over-graded this comic and left you stuck with the best known copy. (tsk)