• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

7th Annual Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 3
7 7

303 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

We used to think that NM- was the best grade out there, because that’s as far as it went in the overstreet. 

The grade tells us that it’s not quite as nice as a comic that is Near Mint. Not something less than mint, something even less than that. 

There are a number of allowable flaws on a NM- book. This has lots, and I wouldn’t have been surprised if it came back as a 9.0  

I’ve mentioned this before as well, the grade of a comic is determined by the front and back cover as well as the interior. 

All of us looking at these scans, can only have an idea of the grade for the covers. 

I feel the cover grade is worth 60% of the entire grade and the interior is worth 40%.

I also feel the front cover is worth 60-70% of the cover grade portion, and the back cover gets 30-40%. 

What I’m saying is weight must be given to the interior as well, and that’s not really possible by looking at a scan. 

My 2c 

You mean the better the story.....the higher the grade?hm

I think there's some truth to what both 'camps' are saying. There is logic to why this is graded a 9.2, but it's reasonable to conclude that CGC has relaxed their standards a bit this year, or perhaps even more than a bit. Which can be disorienting for some of us old-timers. :preach:

3 minutes ago, Point Five said:

I think there's some truth to what both 'camps' are saying. There is logic to why this is graded a 9.2, but it's reasonable to conclude that CGC has relaxed their standards a bit this year, or perhaps even more than a bit. Which can be disorienting for some of us old-timers. :preach:

I’d submit a pile of books to take advantage of this super relaxed phase, but with the current turnaround times....CGC would probably transition to a super strict phase by the time they got around to grading them.:flamed:

3 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

The very bottom of the spine still has all of it attached, it has just folded back and out of view in the scan.  Too bad that CGC didn’t fold it back into place before encapsulating it. 

C181A9E8-932C-47D3-8454-00C53D163DC1.jpeg

Bindery tear? (shrug)

I remember a lot of ASM 800s looked nearly as bad. Seemed to be related to the sheer number of pages they tried to cram in.

2 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

I feel the cover grade is worth 60% of the entire grade and the interior is worth 40%.

I also feel the front cover is worth 60-70% of the cover grade portion, and the back cover gets 30-40%. 

I have absolutely no evidence to back any of this up, but I'd think the interior is valued at less than 40%. Unless there is any major defects. But maybe that's what you meant? Also question: Page quality is noted on label. Does this mean it's given less weight in the grading and just noted as a "qualifier" on the label?

Agree front cover is given much more weight than back cover. 70% sounds about right.

Again, just my 2c. Not trying to start an argument.

Edited by WPPJames

18 hours ago, comicquant said:

Geez I had 8.0 on the Super Comics and 7.5 on the BA.  My 7.5's never get 9.2's when I submit them???

I put 7.0 on the friggin thing.I just checked in here,saw  the pic of Andy holding that 9.2 and thought GOD,THAT BETTER BE A JOKE :mad:

Nope.I just smelled up the joint on that one lol Too many Uranus jokes and karma bit me.

Edited by porcupine48

1 hour ago, thirdgreenham said:

Page quality is on the label.  Likely it doesn't become a factor until it gets to the CR/OW designation, actually, probably not until the Tan designation.

Makes me think of the ASM 10 we traded.Don't think the pq affected that one,and it was cream

My heart yearns for that one of course.(I have another,I just want them all!)

AAALLLLLL!

1 hour ago, thirdgreenham said:

Likely it doesn't become a factor until it gets to the CR/OW designation, actually, probably not until the Tan designation

Thanks, that's good to know. If I saw a GA with White pages I probably would have automatically added a .5 to it. Subconsciously, maybe more.

3 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

We used to think that NM- was the best grade out there, because that’s as far as it went in the overstreet. 

The grade tells us that it’s not quite as nice as a comic that is Near Mint. Not something less than mint, something even less than that. 

There are a number of allowable flaws on a NM- book. This has lots, and I wouldn’t have been surprised if it came back as a 9.0  

I’ve mentioned this before as well, the grade of a comic is determined by the front and back cover as well as the interior. 

All of us looking at these scans, can only have an idea of the grade for the covers. 

What I’m saying is weight must be given to the interior as well, and that’s not really possible by looking at a scan. 

My 2c 

I have to wonder, e.g., "Bat Girl" 9.2 - many spine ticks was essentially overwritten by nearly "9.8" upper front right corner and bottom right front corner?  To me much like the logic associated with stains on a book, seemingly a 9.6 book with a stain can easily become a 8.5 or 9.0 or less.  Regardless, as you amplify, inside and outside of the book, you must examine it in it's entirety.  

18 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

thats exactly what i put and happened to me, i originally went 9.0 on the BA#12 and second guessed myself, so only 4 points sigh

I did slightly worse! I gave the GA a bump and went with 8.5 and figured they'd be extra harsh on the modern and gave it a 7.5. That's the last time I try and guess what the CGD would do. Its only my perception of what they would do and my perception has been way off lol! I'll just grade them the way I would normally and take notes when i'm off. That's what i'm trying to get out of this whole thing anyway. But it would be nice to get a few bulls along the way :) and maybe just maybe do a little better than I did last year??? Too much to ask for?:wishluck:

5 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

you got to remember these books are "pressed", with that corner crunch maybe it was nice and flat, or maybe the crunch didn't break color and the press made it a "bend" or "light stress" :foryou: 

That's where I hurt myself I forgot that. Even pressed though you don't fix broken color.