• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scrooge McDuck
1 1

81 posts in this topic

Tried searching but info is pretty scarce, does anyone know the Scrooge appearances in Four Color between 178 and 386? I’m pretty new to GA collecting and am trying to put together a Scrooge by Barks run.

Thanks for any help!

On 9/24/2019 at 7:28 PM, dikran1 said:

Tried searching but info is pretty scarce, does anyone know the Scrooge appearances in Four Color between 178 and 386? I’m pretty new to GA collecting and am trying to put together a Scrooge by Barks run.

Thanks for any help!

Well the next one was 189; The Old Castle's Secret which is perhaps one of the best of these early Four Color tales featuring Scrooge. Another great one is 238; Voodoo Hoodoo which centers around Scrooge's early days and how they impact Donald.

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 9/24/2019 at 7:28 PM, dikran1 said:

Tried searching but info is pretty scarce, does anyone know the Scrooge appearances in Four Color between 178 and 386?

These are Scrooge's first five cover appearances:

* Vacation Parade 2 (July 1951) - 1st Cover Appearance (cameo crowd shot), 1st on title

* FC 353 (Oct. 1951) - 2nd Cover Appearance (cameo), 1st by Barks, 1st on title (Duck Album)

* FC 379 (March-April 1952) - 3rd Cover Appearance, 1st time featured on Cover, 1st on title (Donald Duck)

* FC 386 (March 1952) - 4th Cover Appearance; 2nd by Barks, 2nd featured, 1st on title (Uncle Scrooge)

* WDC&S 140 (May 1952) - 5th Cover Appearance, 3rd by Barks, 3rd featured, 1st on title,1st by Barks on WDC&S

You can locate all of Scrooge's interior appearances by running a search on the Grand Comic Database website.

9 hours ago, dikran1 said:

Thanks for the info guys! 

I have no idea what I'm getting into, but being a huge Disney fan this was the next step of my comic collecting evolution.

You can't beat Scrooge and you can't beat Barks, so you are taking the right step! 

Maybe the wrong place or time but since there are a lot of Scrooge fans looking at this, I thought I'd ask...

I picked up this cool squeeker toy many years ago. One thing that intregued me was the marking on the back that said "Dell". Not sure if a store item or was offered by Dell as a premium or mail away item in the Disney comics. Anybody ever see it advertised as such or know anything about it?

scroogebank1.jpg

scroogebank2.jpg

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Maybe the wrong place or time but since there are a lot of Scrooge fans looking at this, I thought I'd ask...

I picked up this cool squeeker toy many years ago. One thing that intregued me was the marking on the back that said "Dell". Not sure if a store item or was offered by Dell as a premium or mail away item in the Disney comics. Anybody ever see it advertised as such or know anything about it?

scroogebank1.jpg

scroogebank2.jpg

Bob, you always come up with the most amazing stuff. I don't recall ever seeing that advertised and I don't recall ever seeing one before. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a subscription promo though as they always seemed to offer something to get your $1. for the year.

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Anybody ever see it advertised as such or know anything about it?

In Don Rosa's "House Tour, Part 1" video on youtube (link to follow), Don specifically mentions this as "the only real Uncle Scrooge toy ever made," because it's the only one that was actually produced by Dell Comics (who created Uncle Scrooge)

Go to the 13:35 mark in this video and watch until 14:20 :   

Thanks Ed. I guess that answers my questions. I don't know how much it's worth, but I bought it because I liked it and as I said, it says "Dell" on it.

Man, that studio is packed! A perfect example of hoarding. I have always, forced myself only to collect what I really like the most. I have people who used to give me stuff but I told them not to because I don't want my house to look like that. But, to each his own...

These seem to be pretty common, and universally sell under OPG.  Not only is it a great story, but when I was a kid in the mid-seventies this was the "most valuable" book per OPG in my collection that I pulled out of my 'ole man's collection at grandma's house.  Like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person when I reached the age of sex, drugs and rock and roll I sold my collection.  Nevertheless, bought this copy for probably less than the mid-seventies value to reminisce when I got back into the hobby a few years ago.

FourColor386.jpg

54 minutes ago, path4play said:

These seem to be pretty common, and universally sell under OPG.  Not only is it a great story, but when I was a kid in the mid-seventies this was the "most valuable" book per OPG in my collection that I pulled out of my 'ole man's collection at grandma's house.  Like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person when I reached the age of sex, drugs and rock and roll I sold my collection.  Nevertheless, bought this copy for probably less than the mid-seventies value to reminisce when I got back into the hobby a few years ago.

FourColor386.jpg

Great book and one of the corner stones in any Disney collection!