• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Split covers

7 posts in this topic

Looking through dealers website, I came across what I can only describe as split covers (or panel covers), covers divided in two three or more images.

How do you feel about those covers ? Is it a good thing, a bad thing ? Do you own some ?

For example (not mine) :

17177868%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

1777327%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=ur

2800464%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=ur

Edited by Mycroft

I don't mind them at all. I think they speak to a certain, nostalgic era in comic books. My grails have always been covers to childhood books and one of them is Strange Tales (1987) #2 (cover by Bret Blevins). This Kevin Nowlan Strange Tales split screen that Albert sold is also cool...wouldn't mind having that.

In conclusion...they sure beat the no-background, no-trade dress covers of today.

Strange Tales No.2 cover.jpg

DrStrangeLogosmall.jpg

Not a big fan.  I find the ones with two different characters and storylines dilutive and with far less impact than  - say - a unitary splash.  A case of one plus one equals less than two.  The ones that portait four different moments of the interior story (like FF 106) are more acceptable but still distracting. Call me silly but I would prefer paying a fraction and getting a strong interior with strong storytelling. My 2 cents.

Edited by Carlo M

those covers are definitely not as popular as on with a splash/single image.  Looking through, I see that I have a couple:

Alan Moore's Supreme 42 - Homage to Superman 423 cover

Steve McNiven Split Cover with Captain America and Thing

At the end of the day, they are trying to sell the comic, so if it catches your interest, it worked!

Malvin

1 hour ago, Carlo M said:

Not a big fan.  I find the ones with two different characters and storylines dilutive and with far less impact than  - say - a unitary splash.  A case of one plus one equals less than two.  The ones that portait four different moments of the interior story (like FF 106) are more acceptable but still distracting. Call me silly but I would prefer paying a fraction and getting a strong interior with strong storytelling. My 2 cents.

I agree with Carlo from the OA perspective. I find most of these split covers distracting and prefer a single theme. 

As a kid however I loved the split covers in the comic book. Funny I know to like the comics with split covers but not the actual art covers.