• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Newton Ring Solution
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I just posted this in the CGC Announcements thread, but in order to have more eyes on it I wanted to start a thread here.

I, like many, have received books back this year from CGC where the newton rings are so overwhelming and obvious, it taints the book's appearance. I just sent in and received a book back after paying to have it be re-holdered, and sure enough front and center over the art -there are the newton rings. I just called customer service today to address it, and quickly realized that I was wasting my time because (due to cost-benefit) they simply don't care to address or fix the issue.

And it got me thinking...

I WAS wasting my time. But WE, as a collective have the power to instigate real change.

So here's my idea:

There are seemingly enough collectors in the community that have enough books with severe newton ring problems.

Here's what we do:

An organized staged address where we get as many people as we can to call CGC's customer service phone line every day between certain hours for 2-3 weeks (or longer if necessary). 

We literally need to flood the customer service line with call after call of newton ring problems so that they become so tired of receiving the same call, the customer service department will actually want the problem resolved.

This should help push the internal forces within the company to butt-heads because their jobs are being made more difficult due to the obvious lack of quality control. 

I truly think we have the numbers in the community to do this.

Power to the people!

I think a lot of customers share your frustration Phill, and some would say that CGC deserve it. But it would only impact the telephony team at CGC, and it's not really their fault is it. And it would stop legitimate calls from getting through. It's a bit like blocking a street in town to get your point across. However valid, however much you feel right is on your side, you still run the risk of stopping an innocent person going about their business.

I think the better thing to do is to stop submitting and to keep up the pressure through 'peaceful' online means. Maybe write or email Matt / Brittany every day for a year like Andy Dufresne did to get his library. Wear them down!

This is a great community to be a part of and many of us post here out of a love of comics, rather than the CGC proposition. In a way, it's a shame that there is not an independent body to take ownership of the site. But there isn't, and I'm reasonably sure that what you are proposing would be viewed dimly by the owners - inciting action against them - so be mindful of getting kicked off :foryou:

But again though, it's clear many share your frustration.

1 minute ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

I would be down for this, but Marwood makes a good point. I think the current turn around times (specifically with older books) need to be more aggressively addressed by consumers as well. 

If they are struggling with rings and turn around times, assaulting the front end will only make things worse. We need things to get better, not hamper the front end and add to the problem. My view - hassle those who can do something about it (management), not those who can't (front line staff) :foryou:

5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

If they are struggling with rings and turn around times, assaulting the front end will only make things worse. We need things to get better, not hamper the front end and add to the problem. My view - hassle those who can do something about it (management), not those who can't (front line staff) :foryou:

I disagree.

This is sometimes the only way to instigate change, even if in theory it doesn't seem to be an appropriate solution.

CGC acknowledges that the problem IS a problem. That is why they have suggested the "free" reholdering process with the approval code B919M, and a $20 cap on shipping reimbursement. You know, aside from the whole reimbursement of tying up our books and how that IS a logistical cost for both parties..

What I'm suggesting isn't, in any way, against anything CGC already allows. I'm just saying we do it on a LARGE scale and they won't have a choice but to notice the disruption. 

Edited by Phill the Governor
spelling