• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Everybody told me not to so I opened a comic shop
2 2

120 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Mr. Spider-Woman said:

Wow! Congratulations on the store. I've never seen a comic shop with hardwood floors before. It looks so classy.

Like so many others, I also dreamed of owning a comic shop when I was a kid. Believe it or not, I wanted it to be connected to a pizza place, with giant signs warning people to go to the comic shop first before grabbing a slice at the pizza place.

I did too! lol I spent many a quarter at CiCi's pizze playing Turtles in Time on the Arcade :foryou: of course today, I would choose to be next door to a gamestop :) 

44 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I did too! lol I spent many a quarter at CiCi's pizze playing Turtles in Time on the Arcade :foryou: of course today, I would choose to be next door to a gamestop :) 

Out of curiosity, why Gamestop? IMO they're the next Blockbuster. Also a potential competitor to a comic store in that they do sell POPs and statues and stuff, seeing as physical video games are in a huge decline. 

As for the store, mate, that is beautiful. I love the clean gallery look. One question though, how noisy is it though when you're walking through there? I feel like my footsteps would be amplified, and it's making me anxious just looking at it! Looks great though. Chuck a vintage arcade machine or something in there for kicks and you're all set. :baiting:

34 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Out of curiosity, why Gamestop? IMO they're the next Blockbuster. Also a potential competitor to a comic store in that they do sell POPs and statues and stuff, seeing as physical video games are in a huge decline. 

As for the store, mate, that is beautiful. I love the clean gallery look. One question though, how noisy is it though when you're walking through there? I feel like my footsteps would be amplified, and it's making me anxious just looking at it! Looks great though. Chuck a vintage arcade machine or something in there for kicks and you're all set. :baiting:

The floor is actually not loud at all. Not noticeable anyway. Yea I’d like to get one of those stand up video arcades that play multiple games. You didn’t think I opened the shop for actual customers did you? Lol. 

16 hours ago, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

After a few years of all my buddies telling me not to open a shop I did it anyway. I guess I just have to find out for myself if it will work lol. I’ve been selling at local conventions and online for a while now but just figured a store would be a great addition for sales and I could have much more inventory available to customers. Also, with the price of tables at conventions going up every year I just stopped doing the bigger shows. They’re asking ridiculous prices and honestly I’m not sure how some dealers make a profit. It took awhile to find a place with reasonable rent as selling comics is my side/secondary business and it would be tough with too much overhead.  I had a soft opening today and still have a lot of books to price and take to the shop (which is really the time consuming part). I’ll  let everybody know once we have date set for the grand opening. 

Hope this was ok to post here. Just wanted to let any Boardie’s in the area know about the shop. We’re in Santa Clarita (about 40 miles north of Los Angeles). Stop by and say hi if you’re in the area. Thanks, John 

B3468D12-987B-4598-8C80-CF520B407AA6.jpeg

C42CD719-6D22-4D12-A0F2-6F99F7161872.jpeg

Good Luck! Looks like a great place! If I am in Cali I will stop by! 

2 hours ago, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

The floor is actually not loud at all. Not noticeable anyway. Yea I’d like to get one of those stand up video arcades that play multiple games. You didn’t think I opened the shop for actual customers did you? Lol. 

Load 'er up with ROMs. The amazing X-Men Arcade game. Mortal Kombat 2. Simpsons Arcade. Marvel Vs Capcom 2.

Nice shop- Good Luck......I know demographics\target market makes a big difference but seems comic shops can still work.  My LCS in Maryland opened their first shop in 2008\2009 when the economic was stagnant, they just opened their 3rd store in the last 6 months.