• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Everybody told me not to so I opened a comic shop
2 2

120 posts in this topic

I always figure the key is a low rent. Walk in traffic is great, but chances are most of your real businrss is from regulars who are less concerned about prime location. What are rents like there? I know it is no one of my business, but in 8 years I will have a decent pension and dunno if I want to lawyer Into my late 50s...

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I always figure the key is a low rent. Walk in traffic is great, but chances are most of your real businrss is from regulars who are less concerned about prime location. What are rents like there? I know it is no one of my business, but in 8 years I will have a decent pension and dunno if I want to lawyer Into my late 50s...

Well, the cheapest I could find that would allow a retail business was around $1700. And that was without nnn fees which are ridiculous. Some places not much bigger than mine we’re going for close to $3k a month. My place is less than $1k which includes utilities and internet 

Edited by Cruzin' Thru Comics

1 minute ago, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

Well, the cheapest I could find that would allow a retail business was around $1700. And that was without nnn fees which are ridiculous. Some places not much bigger than mine we’re going for close to $3k a month. My place is $700 plus utilities. 

$1700 or $700? Is your space not considered retail? $700 sounds pretty good. Heck I was paying nearly that much for storage 10 years ago!

Hey - ping my buddy Mike Kremer at Shazam Comics and Toys in Pasadena, Maryland. His set up is roughly akin to yours, 600 square feet in a little retail space in a suburb. He's doing very well and could probably give some good pointers.

Nice store - I'll be in LA in April and will convince Mrs. Donut to take a trip up there. Find me a yarn store near you and that will seal the deal.(thumbsu

16 hours ago, an99 said:

When I was young, around 12-13 years old, I remember my friend and I talking about opening a comic store.  We planned to call it A & A Collectables (because both of our names started with A).  It was a nice dream and something I still think about today on my 40's.  Good times ...

Best of luck!

also why you chose the less common spelling of Collectables?

47 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Hey - ping my buddy Mike Kremer at Shazam Comics and Toys in Pasadena, Maryland. His set up is roughly akin to yours, 600 square feet in a little retail space in a suburb. He's doing very well and could probably give some good pointers.

Nice store - I'll be in LA in April and will convince Mrs. Donut to take a trip up there. Find me a yarn store near you and that will seal the deal.(thumbsu

There is a place called Joanne’s fabrics not too far away lol  hopefully that helps. 

11 minutes ago, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

I have one but it’s raw. Nice copy but not sure it’s a 9.8 candidate 

PM me a pic!

Thanks

10 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Don'tcha mean KONGA!?!

il_794xN.1450621274_30ti.jpg

Note,Konga is saying,ah,AHEM lol 

These craters are confusing, but at least the bitter cold is being tempered a little by a nice, warm breeze from behind, even if it does have a strangely ape-like scent to it.

If only I could drag my attention away from these fascinating imprints and look backwards. hm

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/26/2019 at 2:05 AM, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

After a few years of all my buddies telling me not to open a shop I did it anyway. I guess I just have to find out for myself if it will work lol. I’ve been selling at local conventions and online for a while now but just figured a store would be a great addition for sales and I could have much more inventory available to customers. Also, with the price of tables at conventions going up every year I just stopped doing the bigger shows. They’re asking ridiculous prices and honestly I’m not sure how some dealers make a profit. It took awhile to find a place with reasonable rent as selling comics is my side/secondary business and it would be tough with too much overhead.  I had a soft opening today and still have a lot of books to price and take to the shop (which is really the time consuming part). I’ll  let everybody know once we have date set for the grand opening. 

Hope this was ok to post here. Just wanted to let any Boardie’s in the area know about the shop. We’re in Santa Clarita (about 40 miles north of Los Angeles). Stop by and say hi if you’re in the area. Thanks, John 

B3468D12-987B-4598-8C80-CF520B407AA6.jpeg

C42CD719-6D22-4D12-A0F2-6F99F7161872.jpeg

I respect your defiance