• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Everybody told me not to so I opened a comic shop
2 2

120 posts in this topic

Congrats on your new store. Looks nice. Hard not to make any money when your rent is so low. Hopefully, you will get some decent walk in collections. Although, there just aren’t a lot of vintage books around any more. 

I can see why you are hesitant about current, new books. I would think, if you were careful, it could add to the bottom line. A lot of folks still buy Moderns. 

The store near me does no back issues. Just Moderns, toys, T-Shirts and game cards. They seem to be doing well. 

I would think it would be hard making it on just back issues. Too hard to keep a decent stock. 

I live about 45 minutes away. Got much GA or SA? I love to box dive. Would it be worth the drive for me?

Edited by Robot Man

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Congrats on your new store. Looks nice. Hard not to make any money when your rent is so low. Hopefully, you will get some decent walk in collections. Although, there just aren’t a lot of vintage books around any more. 

gI can see why you are hesitant about current, new books. I would think, if you were careful, it could add to the bottom line. A lot of folks still buy Moderns. 

The store near me does no back issues. Just Moderns, toys, T-Shirts and game cards. They seem to be doing well. 

I would think it would be hard making it on just back issues. Too hard to keep a decent stock. 

I live about 45 minutes away. Got much GA or SA? I love to box dive. Would it be worth the drive for me?

Don't be miserable,go and visit! lol Must make a nice ride on the cycle?

Sorry for the late response, been busy with the shop and still working full time. Thanks for all the positive feedback and suggestions! We’ve been getting more customers in gradually day by day so I’m glad for that. The boxes on the floor are just $1 books. I’m going to put some of that foam flooring there so it’s more comfortable. I have to put those boxes there for now. They’re short boxes so don’t see a problem with them being in the way.

So far most sales have been back issues and some trades/hardcovers. Hardly any new books sold so far. I’m going to try and be the “comic” shop of Santa Clarita. Other stores carry some but I’m going to have a lot more. That’s why I picked this place. Rent is cheap and I think will do fine concentrating on old comics. 

I have some silver and bronze. Some gold (not too much). I have Alot of silver and bronze I haven’t brought to the shop. Still gotta price. I’m a DC fan so most are those. Lots of Batman, Flash Jla etc...  I have lots of Gold/Silver Dc war and pre code war. Let me know and I can bring to the shop. 

6 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Don't be miserable,go and visit! lol Must make a nice ride on the cycle?

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I can see why you are hesitant about current, new books. I would think, if you were careful, it could add to the bottom line. A lot of folks still buy Moderns. 

I have quite a bit of s/a. Some g/a. 

Near full runs of Bronze Age marvel mags. 

Horror mags 

also, I’m taking my joker cover collection  about 5 short boxes worth. Silver age and up  

I got a lot of stuff. Lol 

3 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

How do you plan to keep the overhead lights from damaging the books? 

Turn them off and have people search in the dark. 

I don’t know. I’ve never seen a comic shop with no lights. Would be kind of hard to see, no?  All shops I’ve seen have way more light than I do. 

12 minutes ago, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

All shops I’ve seen have way more light than I do. 

That's why. You've got  technical background. Overkill. Add enough lighting that the waves emanating will phase cancel each other out. :whatthe:    And don't give me that, "Wait a minute. That only applies to acoustics", answer. hm    Think Yoda. "Do. Or do not. There is no try".   :download:

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Easy for you to say. Ever driven the LA freeways? Riding a motorcycle that far around here is a death wish...

Yeah,I'm not over familiar with the local lol :foryou:

(but he has SA and GA)

59 minutes ago, batmiesta said:

Just saw this John, your set up looks great, I would like to add my wishes to a successful venture into something you love doing, all the best mate.

A near full run of Bronze Marvel magazines? What condition are they in? 

I’ll check them when I get home. Haven’t taken to shop yet. I have near complete runs of deadly hands of king fu, planet of the apes (magazine size), marvel horror titles etc. Most higher grade. I acquired them from a shop owner who retired. He had an incredible collection. 

Edited by Cruzin' Thru Comics

Awesome updates. Man oh man if I could rent a storefront for $700 a month in any viable locale around here I'd probably be all over it, although a shop that opens at 5:45 or whenever I get home from work may not be viable.