• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello, I need help identifying this Batman #1 from 1940

19 posts in this topic

This is from a friend, it was in the big collection of his father, which has many important comic books.  His mother tells him that his father had this comic before he was born in the 70's. The thing is that the number 1 in the cover looks different as other copies I've seen. Can someone tell me if this could be the original? Or which edition it is? Thank you. 

IMG_20190926_134318.jpg

22 hours ago, hgokuh said:

This is from a friend, it was in the big collection of his father, which has many important comic books.  His mother tells him that his father had this comic before he was born in the 70's. The thing is that the number 1 in the cover looks different as other copies I've seen. Can someone tell me if this could be the original? Or which edition it is? Thank you. 

IMG_20190926_134318.jpg

If that was an original....

Read the fine print on the first few pages that typically well tell you the publishing information and give you some clues.

Also to you can google to find out size of the original.

Or you can post the first and last 3 pages of the book here in pictures, and someone can probably figure it out.

Thanks for the answers, sadly he already shipped the comic book to cgc, so I can't take more photos. I also think is the masterpiece edition but his mother is sure they had the comic book in the 70's. The Indicia of the reprints was the same as the original, DC didn't changed a thing. 

5 minutes ago, hgokuh said:

Thanks for the answers, sadly he already shipped the comic book to cgc, so I can't take more photos. I also think is the masterpiece edition but his mother is sure they had the comic book in the 70's. The Indicia of the reprints was the same as the original, DC didn't changed a thing. 

"Everybody lies."
- Dr. Gregory House

Maybe they had an original in the 70's, he sold it (for who knows what?), and bought the reprint in the 2000's...

2 hours ago, hgokuh said:

It doesn't really matter any more right?  its already been sent off to CGC so they'll settle it for everyone.  Whether you find out now or later, there's no real impact on your decision making until then.

1 hour ago, seanfingh said:

There is 0 percent chance this is a 1940 copy. Look at the gloss. I am not a Golden Age guy, but I've seen enough of them to know there is not a single one that has that kind of urethane-like sheen. Look at the 9.2 that Heritage sold - one of the nicest copies in existence - typical GA style gloss (or lack thereof).  

you see, the Golden Age did not need 'gloss' to sell comics:preach: