• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's MADAME WEB Spidey spin-off (TBD)
4 4

366 posts in this topic

Sony Pictures has tapped Morbius scribes Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless to write a Madame Web movie set in the Spider-Man universe, Collider has exclusively learned.

Created by writer Denny O’Neil and artist John Romita Jr., Madame Web first appeared in The Amazing Spider-Man #210, which was published by Marvel Comics in November 1980. Known as Cassandra Webb, she is usually depicted as an elderly blind woman suffering from a chronic neuromuscular disease that makes it difficult to move and breathe, and as such, she’s connected to a life support system that looks like a spider web. The clairvoyant character has precognitive abilities and once helped Spider-Man find a kidnap victim.

It’s unclear who will produce the Madame Web movie, but Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach are likely candidates, seeing as they served as producers on Venom and Morbius. Sony executive Palak Patel will oversee the project on behalf of the studio, which declined to comment on Thursday.

In addition to the Marvel comics, Madame Web has also appeared in the Spider-Man animated series, as well as multiple Spider-Man video games. I’m not familiar with the character in the comics, but one Marvel expert likened her to the Oracle in the Matrix movies and explained that she holds the key to a shared multiverse, so the development of a Madame Web movie may signal where Sony is looking to take the Spider-Man franchise next, since as of right now, the character will have no future ties to Disney’s MCU.

It is beginning to look a bit desperate, just throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks during this current period of maximum interest.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

It is beginning to sound a bit desperate, or just throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks at a time of maximum interest.

This one I don't get as a stand-alone character. The one a few years ago about the young Aunt May when she was involved in espionage could have been its version of Pennyworth. Into the Spider-Verse's Aunt May seemed to fit that mold with the underground Spidey Base.

My first thought when I heard this... Ok, my SECOND thought (my first was "are you serious?") was that perhaps this was going to be a re-written Madame Webb where she is basically the live action version of the "Master Weaver"... overseeing the web of life (here, the multiverse of spider-characters).  Not sure if that would mean they fight the Inheritors or something else, but just thinking of her like that seemed to make some sense.

Because if she, instead, ends up like some spidery Jessica Fletcher from Murder She Wrote, helping to solve crimes with her pre-cognition skills... I'm thinking that just MIGHT not work.  Maybe that's just me.

14 hours ago, fmaz said:

My first thought when I heard this... Ok, my SECOND thought (my first was "are you serious?") was that perhaps this was going to be a re-written Madame Webb where she is basically the live action version of the "Master Weaver"... overseeing the web of life (here, the multiverse of spider-characters).  Not sure if that would mean they fight the Inheritors or something else, but just thinking of her like that seemed to make some sense.

Because if she, instead, ends up like some spidery Jessica Fletcher from Murder She Wrote, helping to solve crimes with her pre-cognition skills... I'm thinking that just MIGHT not work.  Maybe that's just me.

Or the Matrix chick, I forget what she was called. Maybe spidey goes to see her.

If it's a girl power thing I'm all for it, but you can do that with Gwen.

Of these spin spinoffs, one of the most mysterious has been the Madame Web movie by filmmaker S.J. Clarkson. The project still has not made any casting announcement public, but names like Charlize Theron and Sandra Bullock have both been rumored to be taking on the titular role. 

Despite this general lack of info regarding Madame Web, it may not be all that long before audiences see the character hit the big screen. 

Edited by Bosco685