• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it a Pedigree? Obscure markings? Ask the "Experts"
5 5

110 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

this one in your face.

cmj21.jpg

Makes me wonder how much higher this book would have graded without the rather obtrusive looking date stamp?  hm

Personally, I don't think CGC should be downgrading pedigree books that have telltale signature pedigree codings on them, as I actually see them as a plus.  (thumbsu

Then again, I guess that's just me as I would personally prefer a Church book with the MH coding, as opposed to one without the MH coding.  :takeit:

On 2/27/2020 at 10:10 PM, sagii said:

Just seeing this. Are you confident with that opinion? 

I bought it from James Payette, but it wasn't listed as such. Bought sight unseen, because i am confident in his grading. When i got it, i thought the marking was familiar from other books, but ruled it out because of the grade. Are there 'gd/vg' Frisco books? 

A bit late to this picnic, but chiming in, I’d agree that the “g” looks consistent for a San Francisco book.  If it’s war era that would be two points in it’s favor, but the condition makes it less likely.  Unless there’s a Tom Reilly stamp on the back cover, I’d say negatory. I have a high grade Sub-Mariner “g” book that looks right too, but it was published after the war, making it an unlikely candidate since Reilly’s parents apparently stopped buying and setting aside comics for their son after he died in action in the Pacific. Also, I don’t recall a Tom Reilly stamp on the back cover. That’s my opinion, for whatever it’s worth.

5 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

A bit late to this picnic, but chiming in, I’d agree that the “g” looks consistent for a San Francisco book.  If it’s war era that would be two points in it’s favor, but the condition makes it less likely.  Unless there’s a Tom Reilly stamp on the back cover, I’d say negatory. I have a high grade Sub-Mariner “g” book that looks right too, but it was published after the war, making it an unlikely candidate since Reilly’s parents apparently stopped buying and setting aside comics for their son after he died in action in the Pacific. Also, I don’t recall a Tom Reilly stamp on the back cover. That’s my opinion, for whatever it’s worth.

Thanks Cat! :headbang:

Yes, i did flip the book over to back to check for the stamp, and it is not there. There is the possibility it just had the misfortune of really poor care taking all these decades, but i'd rule out against that also because the stamp isn't present.

Appreciate the feedback, pushes it back to the bottom of the list of books to graded lol

20 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

this one in your face.

cmj21.jpg

Obviously a Pennsylvania since there's a P .

I hope someone can help confirm this one for me: Nova Scotia pedigree, yay or nay?

I have this More Fun comics issue with a very obvious M on the cover, though hard to see in my photos. The part of it on the white is perhaps faded, maybe even partially erased from a past cleaning? (as the part that overlaps the red ink in the title is noticeably darker, as if it wasn't touched)

20211107_114531.thumb.jpg.144e1f5f87c372cff40699011885f825.jpg

20211107_114546.thumb.jpg.4057c9e7a756db7b1b92a791b3d04546.jpg
20211107_114557.thumb.jpg.2b646847ffa6140385f98f142ace77c5.jpg

On 11/4/2023 at 9:28 PM, Readcomix said:

Anyone got any markings like these? (And insights on them?)

IMG_9721.jpeg

IMG_9722.jpeg

From 1949?. This could be the missing link. It clearly says Reilly. Possibly Peilly but the odds of having the name Peilly are 1 in 1,041,077,988 .

https://forebears.io/surnames/peilly

When we think of Reilly we think of Tom. And if the stamp on the back of San Fran books does say Reilly, well it's a reilly close match to what is written on the cover of that book.san-francisco-4.jpg.a927072b55a64afd6b89d8940c6cd5c0.jpg 

Thank you; it does match that stamp nicely. It’s too late for the established range of the pedigree, but the writing in the L is also similar to what we see on known SF’s, the P/G looking script letter. No stamp on the back of this. But the sig matches that stamp so well; thank you. 
I have to reread the backstory on the ped. ADD — Ok, just reread. If he passed away in the war and his parents were the wartime buyers, what are the odds one of them bought an occasional book a few years later, as a nostalgic thing? 

Could it be a later purchase by the same person? The guy I got it from has certainly been collecting long enough to have gotten it back when they were dispersed. I guess it’s possible but impossible to prove unless someone else has similar and better knows the provenance on theirs. I mean, maybe they wrote on it because they misplaced the stamper? Plausible but not provable. Cool as all get-out though, the way they are similar signatures.

Edited by Readcomix

On 11/4/2023 at 11:23 PM, Readcomix said:

Thank you; it does match that stamp nicely. It’s too late for the established range of the pedigree, but the writing in the L is also similar to what we see on known SF’s, the P/G looking script letter. No stamp on the back of this. But the sig matches that stamp so well; thank you. 
I have to reread the backstory on the ped. ADD — Ok, just reread. If he passed away in the war and his parents were the wartime buyers, what are the odds one of them bought an occasional book a few years later, as a nostalgic thing? 

Could it be a later purchase by the same person? The guy I got it from has certainly been collecting long enough to have gotten it back when they were dispersed. I guess it’s possible but impossible to prove unless someone else has similar and better knows the provenance on theirs. I mean, maybe they wrote on it because they misplaced the stamper? Plausible but not provable. Cool as all get-out though, the way they are similar signatures.

This whole Tom Reilly thing. Just when I thought I was out...........

Well to me the stamp on the back of some San Frans does say "something" Reilly. The handwritten words on your Jungle 116 look to me like almost a dead ringer to the stamp.

A few random things. Only some of the San Frans have the stamp on the back. I have not seen any from 1944/45 with the stamp.Early 1944 maybe. I get that from looking at past sales and some of Mr Bedrocks books he has shown us. I don't think the stamp really tells us anything of use to figure it out. 

If Tom did exist and he was killed in the Pacific in 1945 he could have started boot camp as late as October 1944 and have been killed by a kamikaze in January 1945.  I get that from 2 months basic training at the time. I don't know how sailors traveled to the ships in the Pacific after boot camp but I gave that another month. So 3 months from boot camp to a ship in the Pacific minimum.  Kamikazi attacks ended in August 1945 so if he existed he could have left home as late as May 1945. So he could have bought all the books himself up until cover dates of March 1945. I'm not sure what month in 1945 the collection stopped. 

The signature on your book could be a forgery or a coincidence that it looks so similar to the stamp. Or it could have been written by the same person whose name was on the stamp like you said.  And it could be any of those other things you said as well. I really doubt one of Toms parents bought it in 1949. 

On 11/5/2023 at 1:10 AM, Professor K said:

This whole Tom Reilly thing. Just when I thought I was out...........

Well to me the stamp on the back of some San Frans does say "something" Reilly. The handwritten words on your Jungle 116 look to me like almost a dead ringer to the stamp.

A few random things. Only some of the San Frans have the stamp on the back. I have not seen any from 1944/45 with the stamp.Early 1944 maybe. I get that from looking at past sales and some of Mr Bedrocks books he has shown us. I don't think the stamp really tells us anything of use to figure it out. 

If Tom did exist and he was killed in the Pacific in 1945 he could have started boot camp as late as October 1944 and have been killed by a kamikaze in January 1945.  I get that from 2 months basic training at the time. I don't know how sailors traveled to the ships in the Pacific after boot camp but I gave that another month. So 3 months from boot camp to a ship in the Pacific minimum.  Kamikazi attacks ended in August 1945 so if he existed he could have left home as late as May 1945. So he could have bought all the books himself up until cover dates of March 1945. I'm not sure what month in 1945 the collection stopped. 

The signature on your book could be a forgery or a coincidence that it looks so similar to the stamp. Or it could have been written by the same person whose name was on the stamp like you said.  And it could be any of those other things you said as well. I really doubt one of Toms parents bought it in 1949. 

I lean toward coincidence myself. You’d think a forger would be more consistent with placement, and the book is not high grade like most SF books; not a candidate of choice for some forger. 
The only way I could see legitimate connection is if someone else connected to him bought it out of nostalgia after his death. But I think it is more likely a coincidence. I have a half dozen Larsons — Beverly Larsons. There are collections out there that got dispersed without hoopla, such as Beverly’s, that have distinct markings. I’m thinking it’s more likely this Jungle is another such book from an unheralded original owner named Reilly.

On 11/5/2023 at 12:56 PM, Professor K said:

You're right, not a forgery unless it was written as a goof. Very unlikely. Probably is a coincidence but I still wonder if there is a connection, I mean the writing is just really similar. 

Yeah, it's highly unlikely there's any connection with a lower grade '49 Jungle Comics. The post-war date, the condition, the lack of any similarity to either the stamps on the back or penciled notation on the front of other SF/Reilly pedigree books pretty much precludes any connection with the books which surfaced in the early 70's.  Just taken as a one-off penciled name, "Reilly" probably isn't that uncommon.

Hey Cat. Honestly I'm not dismissing it. Sure Reilly is one of the most common names in the USA. To me that writing is quite similar to the stamp. Coincidence, no connection. probably.  The same person who collected all those high grade beauties from 39 to 45 wasn't killed by some Japanese pilot in 1945 and wrote their name on that 1949 comic, possible. Unlikely but possible.