• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Paradigm Shift and Losing My Religion
3 3

78 posts in this topic

Everybody needs to just chill on the TAT's. Everyone is quoting 6 months and more. That is ONLY ONE service tier. And most books being submitted don't fall into that tier. There are much bigger issues like quality control that CGC needs to address instead of worrying about (again) ONE TIER that is taking a long time. 

4 hours ago, Rhymenoceros said:

How about we start an actual petition online that people can sign requesting a formal acknowledgment and statement from CGC that they are solving the Newton ring issue?  If it becomes a PR issue and enough people complain they will have to solve it.  It has become a huge issue just this year.  

I will not be submitting anything until something changes pertaining to NR. 

Do they? People complaining hasn't bothered them up to this point, why would it start now? The only way they will fix it is if it starts costing them business. So far, given the increasing TAT's, that doesn't seem to be the case. More people need to stop submitting but given that there is no viable alternative, I don't see that happening anytime soon. So CGC will keep on keeping on with the NR's and we will all continue to impotently moan and complain and continue to submit.

6 hours ago, D84 said:
  1. The tear at the top goes through the entire book except the centerfold. 
  2. The book has a slight miscut while the centerfold is square.
  3. The rusty staples have migrated to the paper of every page except the centerfold.
  4. The staples are off center while the holes in the centerfold are centered at the crease.

All telltale signs of a married wrap...sheesh.

I am curious about the tape on the centerfold---is it on the staples themselves or somewhere else? 

16 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Hiring a few extra people would help ease the workload down at CGC 

They should open an office for you gang down there too :sumo:

They MUST be able to afford it...

(the xtra staff AND office :sumo:)

Edited by porcupine48

1 minute ago, The Lions Den said:

All telltale signs of a married wrap...sheesh.

I am curious about the tape on the centerfold---is it on the staples themselves or somewhere else? 

I honestly don't remember tape on the centerfold, but could be mistaken on that.  I know for certain the centerfold isn't attached.

5 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

They should open an office for you gang down there too :sumo:

They MUST be able to afford it...

(the xtra staff AND office :sumo:)

Haha I wish, not enough business down here

I just recall a few years ago, would only be busy during con period but it seems now they are just busy all year round

7 minutes ago, D84 said:

I honestly don't remember tape on the centerfold, but could be mistaken on that.  I know for certain the centerfold isn't attached.

So please, let me get this straight---the centerfold isn't attached and they still missed the fact that it's not original to the book? Not only that, they didn't note the detachment on the label but they did note there was tape on the centerfold? hm

30 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

So please, let me get this straight---the centerfold isn't attached and they still missed the fact that it's not original to the book? Not only that, they didn't note the detachment on the label but they did note there was tape on the centerfold? hm

Yup.  This book us a reminder not to trust CGC.  Remember, a restoration expert and THREE graders missed it.

4 hours ago, LordRahl said:

While I'm sure that's part of it, I think it's more that we as a society are so used to instant gratification these days that waiting patiently (for anything) just seems to be a thing of the past.

It's especially hard to understand why people who aren't desperate for the cash flow from quick flipping pay more for 'fast' tiers when they can save significant coin on their submissions with a little more patience.

Slow tiers for the win for me.

Edited by namisgr

3 hours ago, Ryan. said:

I waited patiently for over 5 months for my Value submission to come back, and had to send back 4 out of the 5 slabs due to scuffing on the cases. I think it's okay to be somewhat annoyed.

Absolutely.  Quality control problems are a whole different thing from choosing whether to pay more for faster service and being tied to frequent updates on a submission's progress through the queue.

9 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

What’s concerning is that CGC has enough issues with their services that their customers are arguing with each other about which ones should be a priority.

Please name a company that is perfect, has no issues and all of their customers are perfectly content with no complaints.

3 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

Please name a company that is perfect, has no issues and all of their customers are perfectly content with no complaints.

I do agree with this, and dont really expect perfection.  That is unrealistic. I could understand some issues. It is the increase in frequency and how common place so many of the issues have become as well as their response. 

9 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

What’s concerning is that CGC has enough issues with their services that their customers are arguing with each other about which ones should be a priority.

I also have to agree that it is concerning that they do have that many issues, however I do have to give CGC credit for being able to voice and discuss these issues on their site. Some of the others have been known to ban customers and scrub their "boards" in an attempt to hide some their issues.

7 hours ago, namisgr said:

It's especially hard to understand why people who aren't desperate for the cash flow from quick flipping pay more for 'fast' tiers when they can save significant coin on their submissions with a little more patience.

Slow tiers for the win for me.

I am also in the mindset of slow wins, but I can see why some have hesitation as the longer our comics sit in shipping boxes, them handling,  grading,  encapsulating,  packing , shipping the more chances of damage occurring.

Plus it is one thing to be slow, it is another when TAT are getting closer to the half a year mark.  It is hard when your a collector who loves them, and held on to them for years, decades,  etc and just want to persevere/protect the comic, but once you have paid for that grading,  waited and it shows up with Newton Rings, wrong label, cracked case or worse damage.

I do understand why some want to get through the process as fast and painless as possible.  Even if it is more money. Still it is yet another issue that could arise.  Instead of trying to " ramp up production "  and sacrifice quality (as they have been doing) they could always try the other route of charge more and offer premium service. 

6 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I do understand why some want to get through the process as fast and painless as possible.  Even if it is more money. Still it is yet another issue that could arise.  Instead of trying to " ramp up production "  and sacrifice quality (as they have been doing) they could always try the other route of charge more and offer premium service. 

I'm sure they're doing everything they can to speed things up, but it sounds like they're just getting hammered with submissions. It's a tough spot to be in (lord help me, I've been there). But you still have to maintain a certain standard of quality control as well. That appears to be the part where they're falling short...  :juggle: