• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wondering - Opinions
2 2

14 posts in this topic

I think there will be effect in the short run due to shock, but as taxless alternatives become fewer and fewer, people will have to come back.  Unless suddenly everyone figures out to come here to buy/sell.

I don't think it will deter buyers on desirable books, but it is definitely narrowing the gap between eBay sellers and buying books at shows/cons. For the past several years, the real advantage of buying at a show was that you could hold the book in hand and be sure of what you were getting, but chances were you were going to pay up for it. eBay was more of a crapshoot on quality (and the book arriving as stated) but you could usually save a great deal of cash vs shows. But with shipping and now taxes as well, that gap is narrowing. I'm seeing it locally. A lot more selling on Facebook, at shops, etc. I myself have sold a lot more locally than on eBay in the last year or so, and it's great, because it's cash in hand, no tax worries, everyone wins. 

3 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

The shipping and handling is far more detrimental to the hobby and value of a comic than sales tax

Agreed. Paying sales tax for purchases on eBay is annoying, even if many buyers were supposed to be paying it anyway depending on local tax laws, but shipping is much, much worse.

Edited by Mr. Spider-Woman

Buyers will likely calculate the sales tax and adjust their purchase price offers on high dollar books on eBay, and bid or BIN accordingly.  My thoughts are this could in turn lower GPA sales data (by 7%-8%) on many CGC books.  Sales tax where I live in California is 7.75%.            

Edited by mosconi

See how so many of us here in this thread are talking about or considering altering our buying habits because of this taxation change on eBay. Taxation is regressive. Amazing how many so called progressives support it and want to expand and increase it. Enjoy this old Beatles song... “Taxman”. Pretty much sums it up.

Edited by Jaylam