• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you had $500 to spend on comics.
3 3

164 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Stella Artois

Common pub lager in the UK.  Not bad, though.

Edited by Ken Aldred

7 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

They make it seem like it's the drink of aristocrats over here with their crazy sophisticated commercials.

Often considered to have the reputation of being a bit of a fighting beer over here, sadly.

Quite the opposite.

Edited by Ken Aldred

17 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Bummer.My partner has a don't ask don't tell mind to it since I've stopped drinking and am staying clean.Is this the car you had in your old sigline or a new one?

Yep same car. Just spent about $1700 on lights for it and still trying to get everything to work

4 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

They make it seem like it's the drink of aristocrats over here with their crazy sophisticated commercials.

If it’s portrayed as glitzy on TV, then it probably falls somewhere on the spectrum of decent (Stella) to garbage (Heineken, Corona) beer.  Don’t fall for the marketing. 

I was always baffled by that one Heineken commercial with the footage of the geriatric race car guy portraying that he clearly didn’t like beer or women.  All set to a soundtrack where the singer is screaming like she’s giving birth to a full size porcupine.  THAT is supposed to make me want their carppy beer?

8 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

I've been collecting comics at some capacity for close to 30 years.

In my opinion the absolute best bang for your buck and area for most high future velocity is with 60/70's Comic Magazines

Warren (Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella)

Marvel (Dracula Lives, Vampire Tales, Marvel Preview, Tales of the Zombie, Haunt of Horror, Monsters Unleashed, Savage Tales, Savage Sword of Conan)

Skywald (Psycho, Scream, Nightmare, Crime Machine, Hell-Rider)

Eerie Publication (Weird, Tales of Voodoo, Terror Tales, Witches Tales, Tales from the Tomb, Horror Tales, etc.)

These books all had (to varying degrees)

1. All Star Artists (Frazetta, Kaluta, Wrightson, Jones, Neal Adams, Bill Everett, John Byrne, Russ Heath, Sanjulian, the list goes on and on and on)
  2. Amazing Covers
  3. Stories that molded the minds of many of our most prolific Horror Writers and Directors of our time (Stephen King, Eli Roth, Tarantino, Savini, etc. etc.)
  4. Were not stored as well as comics.  Tougher to get in High Grade.
  5. Some much lower distribution than others (Skywald & Eerie Pubs).

It's a perfect storm of popular culture.

When you look at GA PCH and the untouchable prices of some of that stuff; and then find that you can get that same spark in your tummy when you purchase some of the stuff above....It's a no brainer.

Also....shameless plug :foryou:

GA/SA/BA Edition

The Warrens are great but let's be serious, Warren kept vast numbers of extra copies of even the #1s for years and mile high also acquired zillions. They have  serious quantity issues. The other stuff, maybe.

7 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

Yep same car. Just spent about $1700 on lights for it and still trying to get everything to work

Right on,glad it's still a labour of love.Hopefully it comes all together sooner than later.

I'm trying to complete my Malibu Mortal Kombat collection (kollektion?). They're going for stupid prices. I MIGHT get lucky and get decent copies of the Kung Lao and Kitana one-shots for $500US. Unlikely, but it could happen. 

11 hours ago, rabidwolf said:

A couple of omega men 3s

cant believe how low lobos 1st appearance is selling for right now 

I have not watched krypton but the look seems wrong. And it is not on netflix like the other dc shows. So it seems they botched his mainstream pop culture arrival.  I know lobo has had many shapes but the one that folks liked (when lobo was a big selling title and one of DCs most popular characters) was big and burley. I understand unless you do CGI or a padded suit your options for 6' 3"+++ guys who are 300 pounds plus of muscle who can act are limited, but they could try. True, the original lobo was nothing special physically, but he was also a 4th tier villian and then frienemy for 7 or 8 years until They changed his look. They managed to cast drax appropriately. I know hulk and colossus and juggernaut had to be CGI, but lobo is not that big.

Edited by the blob

8 minutes ago, the blob said:

I have not watched krypton but the look seems wrong. And it is not on netflix like the other dc shows. So it seems they botched his mainstream pop culture arrival.  I know lobo has had many shapes but the one that folks liked (when lobo was a big selling title and one of DCs most popular characters) was big and burley. I understand unless you do CGI or a padded suit your options for 6' 3"+++ guys who are 300 pounds plus of muscle who can act are limited, but they could try. True, the original lobo was nothing special physically, but he was also a 4th tier villian and then frienemy for 7 or 8 years until They changed his look. They managed to cast drax appropriately. I know hulk and colossus and juggernaut had to be CGI, but lobo is not that big.

What about the Mountain from GoT?

Not sure about his acting abilities though

Or Jason Momoa but he has taken on Aquaman

You could use the Rock.

On 9/27/2019 at 3:24 PM, porcupine48 said:

These guys are fantastic,I demand you spend money with them.

And Cherry Coke Zero has nothing to do with it.(Inside thing holly)

500$ right now?I recently found a seller with a tonne of decent shape Edition Heritage books for more than fair prices.I'd likely spend it there,quanity and quality.

But if I was in town?Defo with above  :sumo:

Classy bunch of guys too be honest...

Glad to have met them:foryou:

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

What about the Mountain from GoT?

Not sure about his acting abilities though

Or Jason Momoa but he has taken on Aquaman

You could use the Rock.

Rock is black Adam and is almost perfect in that role. Mountain can't act. Lobo talks, a lot. I'll think on it. There are pro wrestlers who look the part, BUT they may not be john cena in terms of delivering lines.

1 minute ago, the blob said:

Rock is black Adam and is almost perfect in that role. Mountain can't act. Lobo talks, a lot. I'll think on it. There are pro wrestlers who look the part, BUT they may not be john cena in terms of delivering lines.

Cena is doing very well with his transition 

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Cena is doing very well with his transition 

Yeah, I like cena. He has a good comedic touch too. Ryan Hurst seems to be a guy who might cut it. They have a skinny not so tall Irish guy playing him now. While an accent should work, that ain't lobo. Hurst just needs to do a little more lifting. He's a big guy, scarey on WD and sons of anarchy. Albeit not a leading man, but the rock can't be both characters in the DCU.