• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you had $500 to spend on comics.
3 3

164 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, the blob said:

Rock is black Adam and is almost perfect in that role. Mountain can't act. Lobo talks, a lot. I'll think on it. There are pro wrestlers who look the part, BUT they may not be john cena in terms of delivering lines.

Roman reigns look wise for sure but could not pull off the personality 

Bray Wyatt doesn’t quite have the look but may pull off the personality 

movie or no movie still a very under priced book imho

Edited by rabidwolf

On 9/28/2019 at 9:20 PM, the blob said:

The Warrens are great but let's be serious, Warren kept vast numbers of extra copies of even the #1s for years and mile high also acquired zillions. They have  serious quantity issues. The other stuff, maybe.

Oh for sure.  The Warren warehouse copies were substantial.  But the Magazine Medium is ripe for explosion.

We have seen it in pockets already with books such as Marvel Preview #4 (1st Starlord) [Going from a $50 book in CGC 9.6 to > $1,500 at its peak in grade] and Marvel Preview #7 (Rocket) [Going from a $20 book in CGC 9.2 to > $1,600 at it's peak in grade]

And seeing it in new pockets now (see Vampire Tales #2).

Point being; the Comic Magazine Medium has some of the most untapped potential bar-none without a doubt.

7 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

Oh for sure.  The Warren warehouse copies were substantial.  But the Magazine Medium is ripe for explosion.

We have seen it in pockets already with books such as Marvel Preview #4 (1st Starlord) [Going from a $50 book in CGC 9.6 to > $1,500 at its peak in grade] and Marvel Preview #7 (Rocket) [Going from a $20 book in CGC 9.2 to > $1,600 at it's peak in grade]

And seeing it in new pockets now (see Vampire Tales #2).

Point being; the Comic Magazine Medium has some of the most untapped potential bar-none without a doubt.

I don't think the 70s marvel mags had the same quantity / warehouse issues. Of course, many were dirt cheap for a long time. I honestly think many collectors simply have an aversion to their size. They don't fit in non mag boxes and a magazine slab is a huge PITA (do they fit in cgc boxes? I personally love magazines but the market has sometimes been less friendly outside of some keys. I agree that things are better. I have 10 copies of creepy 1, I am all for a mag explosion.

7 hours ago, rabidwolf said:

Roman reigns look wise for sure but could not pull off the personality 

Bray Wyatt doesn’t quite have the look but may pull off the personality 

movie or no movie still a very under priced book imho

My 4 copies agree

18 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

@bounty_coder "And seeing it in new pockets now (see Vampire Tales #2)."

Help me out here, what's so special about Vampire Tales #2?

1132583135_VampireTales2October73.jpg.40061dd86378bdd482afe3cac110d779.jpg

:gossip:  VT#2 contains the 1st Appearance of Satana Hellstrom.  Sister to Daimon Hellstrom who is getting a Hulu series.  Expected to be a part of the series... 

“Marvel’s Hellstrom” is based on the comic “Hellstrom,” which centered on Damion Hellstrom, aka the Son of Satan.

In Hulu’s version, Daimon and Ana (who goes by Satana in the comic) Hellstrom are the son and daughter of a mysterious and powerful serial killer. The siblings have a complicated dynamic as they track down the terrorizing worst of humanity — each with their attitude and skills. “Marvel’s Helstrom” is also executive produced by Zbyszewski — who will serve as showrunner — and Loeb.

Edited by bounty_coder

9 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Oh if you only knew how I acquired this one....:headbang::roflmao:

You had 7 friends make lowball offers and tell the seller deadpool is a child molester and he might get arrested for selling the comic? Just kidding.

14 hours ago, the blob said:

I don't think the 70s marvel mags had the same quantity / warehouse issues. Of course, many were dirt cheap for a long time. I honestly think many collectors simply have an aversion to their size. They don't fit in non mag boxes and a magazine slab is a huge PITA (do they fit in cgc boxes? I personally love magazines but the market has sometimes been less friendly outside of some keys. I agree that things are better. I have 10 copies of creepy 1, I am all for a mag explosion.

The size is a problem.  I’ve finally bought a magazine box to deal with my half dozen or so magazines.  So now I’m in the market for more 🙂

I like color though, so that is a strike against the B&W mags.  A Frazetta cover definitely makes up for it though. 🙂

35 minutes ago, Hamlet said:

The size is a problem.  I’ve finally bought a magazine box to deal with my half dozen or so magazines.  So now I’m in the market for more 🙂

I like color though, so that is a strike against the B&W mags.  A Frazetta cover definitely makes up for it though. 🙂

I use mag boxes anyway, but my one mag slab drove me nuts.it didn't fit anywhere.

I agree.  Everyone should stay away from magazines.  Don’t even think twice about it.  They’re larger in size than comics which means cover images are more impressive.  But still, you don’t want no part of these magazines.  The artwork on many covers is a who’s who of the best illustrators in fantasy and comic art.  But that’s no reason to start collecting them!  And the prevalence of black or very dark covers means that truly high grade copies are super tough.  But I’m telling you, stay away!  You don’t want no part of Warren magazines with Frazetta and Ken Kelly and Boris and Sanjulian cover art.  Waste of time... :devil: