• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you had $500 to spend on comics.
3 3

164 posts in this topic

On 9/30/2019 at 9:01 PM, Hamlet said:

The size is a problem.  I’ve finally bought a magazine box to deal with my half dozen or so magazines.  So now I’m in the market for more 🙂

I like color though, so that is a strike against the B&W mags.  A Frazetta cover definitely makes up for it though. 🙂

What really sucks is every one of those warehouse copies were VG to fine. No high grade copies at all.

1 minute ago, Randall Dowling said:

You were supposed to keep that little nugget to yourself, Oakman!

Dang....I mean uh...you....guys dont need mags, they suck, they're way too big to fit those cgc boxes.....uh, run away fast.👍

38 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

I agree.  Everyone should stay away from magazines.  Don’t even think twice about it.  They’re larger in size than comics which means cover images are more impressive.  But still, you don’t want no part of these magazines.  The artwork on many covers is a who’s who of the best illustrators in fantasy and comic art.  But that’s no reason to start collecting them!  And the prevalence of black or very dark covers means that truly high grade copies are super tough.  But I’m telling you, stay away!  You don’t want no part of Warren magazines with Frazetta and Ken Kelly and Boris and Sanjulian cover art.  Waste of time... :devil:

That's right.And the Eerie and Standard publications will give you super atomic mega cooties.AVOID!

6 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Hmmm....I'm sensing something here....I just can't put my finger on it....

Put your hand in the back of your drawers,you'll find a ring.Push hard when your finger is on it lol 

On 9/27/2019 at 2:12 PM, SamPool said:

If you want to impress the GF, I think she would rather..

Go out to a nice restaurant @$150

Buy her a piece of Jewelry @ $300

Go to a cheap motel @ $50

and call it a night.. :headbang:

I can only imagine a $50 cheap motel will have the words "Movies! Mirrors!" on the sign and have rooms you can rent by the hour.

13 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I agree.  Everyone should stay away from magazines.  Don’t even think twice about it.  They’re larger in size than comics which means cover images are more impressive.  But still, you don’t want no part of these magazines.  The artwork on many covers is a who’s who of the best illustrators in fantasy and comic art.  But that’s no reason to start collecting them!  And the prevalence of black or very dark covers means that truly high grade copies are super tough.  But I’m telling you, stay away!  You don’t want no part of Warren magazines with Frazetta and Ken Kelly and Boris and Sanjulian cover art.  Waste of time... :devil:

Agreed, can you imagine someone buying this book raw for a little over $100 and then paying another $300 to have it signed by Frazetta and CGC graded?

Think of all the other books you could have gotten in 2008 for $500, instead of this oversized monstrosity which doesn't even fit in a CGC comic storage box.

0787143002_1200.jpg

Forget comics... you could have gotten 200 shares of Blockbuster for that $500 in July 2008, and just think what that would be worth today! :devil:

Edited by valiantman

23 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

BLIAQ - $0.0044 per share today :banana:

How the mighty have fallen

Now all we have to do is invent microchip telecommunications devices for people to have surgically implanted into their brain and Apple will be the next giant to fall.

We can call it "The David device"

You know, like David and Goliath.

I was only referencing that because of giants falling.

25 minutes ago, mattn792 said:
1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Forget comics... you could have gotten 200 shares of Blockbuster for that $500 in July 2008, and just think what that would be worth today! :devil:

BLIAQ - $0.0044 per share today :banana:

88cents. :flipbait:

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

88cents. :flipbait:

Apple was under $1 in the early 2000s. Over $200 now. This depresses me. I invested in Razorfish in around 2001 after it went from $100 a share to under $1 because it posted its first profit and I thought that would be the tech stock that would bounce back. Went private a bit later and I got 24 cents a share. Razorfish was a biiiiig deal in 2000. I'd have over $200K in apple stock with the $1000 I put into Razorfish. And I won't talk about Amazon at the IPO because I was not buying individual stocks in 1997, but in 2001 I was looking for a depressed tech stock to take a chance on. Why didn't I pick Apple???? Admittedly, at the same time (or maybe a little later) I did well on QQQ doubling 4 years after I bought it.

42 minutes ago, the blob said:

Apple was under $1 in the early 2000s. Over $200 now. This depresses me. I invested in Razorfish in around 2001 after it went from $100 a share to under $1 because it posted its first profit and I thought that would be the tech stock that would bounce back. Went private a bit later and I got 24 cents a share. Razorfish was a biiiiig deal in 2000. I'd have over $200K in apple stock with the $1000 I put into Razorfish. And I won't talk about Amazon at the IPO because I was not buying individual stocks in 1997, but in 2001 I was looking for a depressed tech stock to take a chance on. Why didn't I pick Apple???? Admittedly, at the same time (or maybe a little later) I did well on QQQ doubling 4 years after I bought it.

There is a book by Thomas Friedman called "the Lexus and the Olive tree" and it puts perspective on technology and going against the herd or going against technological compatibility, and the moral of the story is Apple is a technological anomaly, they have no business being where they are.

On 9/29/2019 at 7:25 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Common pub lager in the UK.  Not bad, though.

Often referred to as 'wife-beater' due to its high alcohol %

Usually drunk in copious amounts by chav wankers.:headbang:

Edited by Beige

On 9/27/2019 at 1:16 PM, Senormac said:

Anyways, it's what we do around here when we are bored.  Talk about random speculations.  That or what kind of printers are best for slabs

wait what kind of printers are best for slabs?

50 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

There is a book by Thomas Friedman called "the Lexus and the Olive tree" and it puts perspective on technology and going against the herd or going against technological compatibility, and the moral of the story is Apple is a technological anomaly, they have no business being where they are.

If I was betting on a tech company bouncing back it should have been apple and not razorfish. Oh regrets...