• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you had $500 to spend on comics.
3 3

164 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

It's a show on Sunday in my city

First time bringing the GF to a show

Want to impress her.

I should actually listen to her more often to be honest.

A few weeks ago I had an opportunity to buy a New Mutants 98 at 9.8 she told me to buy it, but I eventually passed. Sadly it sold within 24 hours of it going up.

I might bring my 9.4 of ASM 361 and NM 98 and see if I can offer them in trade for something.

There are far better ways to impress a girl than to take her to a show to watch you spend $500. on a funny book...

You better have another $500. to buy her something nice, take her out to a fancy restraunt or away for a short romantic weekend.

I'd leave the girl home so she doesn't know what you are spending on comic books...(shrug)

And, as to the original poster... I'd pick out a real nice cover PCH slabbed book. These are so solid it's crazy.

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

nice thread ! i would get a Peter Panda #5 in decent shape if i could for $500

I've never heard of Peter Panda before. I had to look it up and found this ad for the 1st issue from 1953. Thanks to you I learned something new today! (thumbsu

1219995090_PETERPANDAAD.jpg.39da925cdd5a50e2c03fa1717a2b46d5.jpg

Edited by Jaylam

25 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

I've never heard of Peter Panda before. I had to look it up and found this ad for the 1st issue from 1953. Thanks to you I learned something new today! (thumbsu

1219995090_PETERPANDAAD.jpg.39da925cdd5a50e2c03fa1717a2b46d5.jpg

Peter Panda #5 is designated a Classic cover by CGC 

Image result for peter panda 5
Edited by 1950's war comics

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Great book don’t get me wrong, but there are millions of very high grade copies out there. I don’t understand why this is “worth” $500 even in 9.8...(shrug)

The supply is high, but unlike moldy, unreadable GA junk, the demand is higher than 10.

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Great book don’t get me wrong, but there are millions of very high grade copies out there. I don’t understand why this is “worth” $500 even in 9.8...(shrug)

I agree :-). But these days someone could easily spent a couple hundred dollars chasing every cover/ variant of a book not half as cool as ASM 300. lol

5 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

While I understand what you're saying, you just have to look in the right places and get a bit lucky.

Hollywood's head would explode if I listed what I got with my last $500 spent on comics.  To be fair, that encompasses multiple purchases that span a few years, so the ever-increasingly insane market was slightly less stupid for the earlier ones.

Yep I got most of the Adams Batman, Deadman, and Spectre for under $80.  Condition was in the 5.0 range.

I have a couple of SA and BA under the radar keys I look for, But not at $500. Trying to find the next iron man 55 before it pops. Or buying FF 48s in 1994.

Edited by the blob

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

There are far better ways to impress a girl than to take her to a show to watch you spend $500. on a funny book...

You better have another $500. to buy her something nice, take her out to a fancy restraunt or away for a short romantic weekend.

I'd leave the girl home so she doesn't know what you are spending on comic books...(shrug)

And, as to the original poster... I'd pick out a real nice cover PCH slabbed book. These are so solid it's crazy.

My girlfriend would be the opposite of impressed if I spent $500 on a comic in front of her. She’s already not impressed with the money spent on the project car. I think $10-$20 comics is all I’m allowed at the moment. Or at least that’s what she has to think they cost 

4 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

My girlfriend would be the opposite of impressed if I spent $500 on a comic in front of her. She’s already not impressed with the money spent on the project car. I think $10-$20 comics is all I’m allowed at the moment. Or at least that’s what she has to think they cost 

Bummer.My partner has a don't ask don't tell mind to it since I've stopped drinking and am staying clean.Is this the car you had in your old sigline or a new one?

7 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

While I understand what you're saying, you just have to look in the right places and get a bit lucky.

Hollywood's head would explode if I listed what I got with my last $500 spent on comics.  To be fair, that encompasses multiple purchases that span a few years, so the ever-increasingly insane market was slightly less stupid for the earlier ones.

While I am very jaded at this point about the back issue market and the effect of pure speculation on something I care a lot about,  I’ve taken some medication overnight and I’m probably not quite so darkly, coldly negative this morning. :smile:

Edited by Ken Aldred