• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miss America Comics #1 1944-Timely-Interior?

20 posts in this topic

Hi all. I purchased a incomplete Miss America Comics #1. It has 22 pages (Immediate red flag is missing 2 in my mind as should be 24). Centerfold is good. All Miss America Pages are good. Comics.org says 22 equiv when add up the stories. The top and bottom edge show no areas where pages were sliced as in many timely or 16/8 etc. There is no readcomicsonline page for this comic surprisingly. What could possibly be missing? 

I too have an incomplete Miss America #1. I bought it from a dealer that told me it was complete. I quickly proved him wrong and got it for a song. Took me a while to figure what was wrong. It has 44 pages. The Grand Comic Book Database states it should have 52 pages. I knew right away the centerfold was missing. (see photo #1). But there is the remenants of 2 torn pages. The first story is complete "Baron Shinto the Gouger". Then there is a torn page and the next story "Mystery of the monster men" starts. This is where the centerfold is missing. The story ends on page 14 but is not complete. This is where a wrap is gone I believe. Then comes the Miss America contest (1 page). The book concludes with a complete story "Murders by Yogi".

The grand comic book database does not mention any ads including the Miss America 1 page contest so not sure what else is missing. It's a mess but was real cheap. At first I thought all I would need to complete it is a centerfold but now it looks like I should probably just find a complete coverless one.

Hope this helps.

commissamerica1.jpg

missamerica1.jpg

missamerica2.jpg

missamerica3.jpg

Thanks, that says a lot for me. I do not have any pin-ups in mine. A very common occurance in books like this. It looks like the wrap below the centerfold had pin-ups on two pages and were torn out. I will pull mine out again and compare the pages in my copy.