• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paypal question

7 posts in this topic

A couple of weeks ago I ran a For Sale thread in the G/S/B section. Had about 6 or 7 buyers. After payments started coming in, I noticed they were getting denied by PP. Sunday night only 1 was denied, but when I got up Monday morning, 2 or 3 more had been denied (all by different buyers). I have been using PP for well over a decade and never had a payment be denied. Now, all of a sudden, I had 3 or 4 in 24 hours. The funny thing is, some of the other buyers paid via PP without a problem. I called PP and asked her what was going on and she told me that somehow the payments had set off some kind of trigger and PP was unable to process them. When I asked what that trigger was (so it wouldn't happen again),  she told me that not only could she not tell me that, but nobody there could tell me that. A couple of the buyers called also and got the same nonanswers that I got. Another weird thing is that a couple of buyers had their original payment denied, but their payments went thru ok when resubmitted a few days later.

Has this ever happened to anyone here? I'm kind of leery about ever having another sales thread - too many hassles (for me and the buyers)

I'm largely guessing here, but it sounds like a general security trigger, ie an account that typically only gets used for purchases once or twice a month for a hundred bucks or so, suddenly gets a dozen payments come in for a few thousand dollars, tripping the system. As to why they were rejected and not just put on hold, that could be due to the uniqueness of PayPal's setup, which is definitely not standard. 

They're definitely not going to tell you what tripped the triggers, for general fraud reasons. You need to think carefully about how you phrase what you're asking. 

Maybe look at the amounts that your buyers sent. Were the rejected purchases all over a certain threshold, like say a thousand dollars, for example. Things like that?

4 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I'm largely guessing here, but it sounds like a general security trigger, ie an account that typically only gets used for purchases once or twice a month for a hundred bucks or so, suddenly gets a dozen payments come in for a few thousand dollars, tripping the system. As to why they were rejected and not just put on hold, that could be due to the uniqueness of PayPal's setup, which is definitely not standard. 

They're definitely not going to tell you what tripped the triggers, for general fraud reasons. You need to think carefully about how you phrase what you're asking. 

Maybe look at the amounts that your buyers sent. Were the rejected purchases all over a certain threshold, like say a thousand dollars, for example. Things like that?

That is exactly what I thought at first. But then it occurred to me that the very first PP payment that was sent was denied...and it was for far less than other payments I received in the past.

Thought - Of the 1000s of PP users who have run a sales thread in the past, I wonder if any of them experienced this?