• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

History making Hitler checklist
7 7

314 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, walclark said:

What's it been...at least a few years, maybe more, since a newly discovered Hitler cover was added to the list?  Well, here's one that somehow avoided detection.  Easy to see why we could miss this one.  The Hitler image is very small, but there are several other covers with very tiny images of Hitler.  I think it is clearly deserving to be added to the list.  What say you, oh wise Boardies?

19905416_military7001.jpg.f9eb17b65c74909d3f002bf7d8f4f350.jpg

2009241808_military7closeup001.jpg.f479da887d7686ef98447decb77e81d4.jpg

If it's a cover with Hitler on it, then it's a Hitler cover.   First time ever seeing that one.

9 hours ago, walclark said:

What's it been...at least a few years, maybe more, since a newly discovered Hitler cover was added to the list?  Well, here's one that somehow avoided detection.  Easy to see why we could miss this one.  The Hitler image is very small, but there are several other covers with very tiny images of Hitler.  I think it is clearly deserving to be added to the list.  What say you, oh wise Boardies?

Good find!

17 hours ago, walclark said:

Gets my vote.  I think it's more of a Hitler cover than the covers that just have him in a picture on the wall.  It is funny that nobody noticed it, but that's a tough book. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Gets my vote.  I think it's more of a Hitler cover than the covers that just have him in a picture on the wall.  It is funny that nobody noticed it, but that's a tough book. 

When I made the original Hitler cover list back in the early 90's, there was no internet. I went page by page, picture by picture through the Gerber Photo Journal looking for them. These are some really small pictures, so I missed some of Hitler covers where he is drawn really small, such as the America's Best Comics #8 with the tiny Hitler picture.

2 hours ago, Timely said:
3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

When I made the original Hitler cover list back in the early 90's, there was no internet. I went page by page, picture by picture through the Gerber Photo Journal looking for them. These are some really small pictures, so I missed some of Hitler covers where he is drawn really small, such as the America's Best Comics #8 with the tiny Hitler picture.

You did a great job ... except for Blue Beetle 34. :baiting:

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

That was not on my original list either, but others said it was so I put it on there. There are a few Zips (not on the list) that are questionably Hitler covers also. Zip 26 & 29 if memory serves me correctly. 

Edited by Timely

10 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Hey, Blue Beetle #34 is just about the only Hitler cover I have in high grade, so BACK OFF! :sumo:

(But, yeah, IMHO, it and National #12 shouldn’t be on there)

On 10/24/2018 at 9:13 PM, Timely said:

That was not on my original list either, but others said it was so I put it on there. There are a few Zips (not on the list) that are questionably Hitler covers also. Zip 26 & 29 if memory serves me correctly. 

CGC Notes 26 as a Hitler cover.

3 hours ago, domuhnator said:
On 10/24/2018 at 9:13 PM, Timely said:

CGC Notes 26 as a Hitler cover.

I don't think it's him:  No mustache. 

On 10/25/2018 at 6:58 AM, walclark said:

Hey, Blue Beetle #34 is just about the only Hitler cover I have in high grade, so BACK OFF! :sumo:

(But, yeah, IMHO, it and National #12 shouldn’t be on there)

Right.  The guy on the cover of National 12 has a Snidely Whiplash mustache, not a Hitler mustache. 

On 10/26/2018 at 3:56 PM, Sqeggs said:

I don't think it's him:  No mustache. 

Maybe maybe not. But he is with Tojo and Mussolini so it would make sense if it was him. I have a hard time believing the artist would throw some random guy with those two. 

1 hour ago, domuhnator said:

Maybe maybe not. But he is with Tojo and Mussolini so it would make sense if it was him. I have a hard time believing the artist would throw some random guy with those two. 

In addition to no mustache, the uniform is plain and unadorned, not really something a Nazi officer would typically wear, much less Hitler  himself.  The style of the hat doesn’t seem right.  Hitler is usually depicted either without a hat or wearing an officer’s hat.  @Timely could weigh in, but I believe when we discussed this a few years ago, the consensus was that Zip #26 was not a Hitler cover.

58 minutes ago, walclark said:

In addition to no mustache, the uniform is plain and unadorned, not really something a Nazi officer would typically wear, much less Hitler  himself.  The style of the hat doesn’t seem right.  Hitler is usually depicted either without a hat or wearing an officer’s hat.  @Timely could weigh in, but I believe when we discussed this a few years ago, the consensus was that Zip #26 was not a Hitler cover.

It's not Hitler, it just looks all wrong!  The uniform is wrong, the hair is wrong, the face is wrong, the mustache is wrong (missing). Also, typically you see Hitler, Tojo & Mussolini together on a cover.  While I do think that could be Mussolini on the cover, that's not Tojo either!  They always draw Tojo with glasses & that Japanese soldier isn't wearing glasses.

45 minutes ago, Timely said:

It's not Hitler, it just looks all wrong!  The uniform is wrong, the hair is wrong, the face is wrong, the mustache is wrong (missing). Also, typically you see Hitler, Tojo & Mussolini together on a cover.  While I do think that could be Mussolini on the cover, that's not Tojo either!  They always draw Tojo with glasses & that Japanese soldier isn't wearing glasses.

Yeah, I think it's just supposed to be three misc Axis soldiers.  The Italian soldier was probably given a Mussolini-style hat just so we'd know he was supposed to be Italian. I don' think he was actually supposed to be Mussolini himself. 

On 2/6/2019 at 1:50 PM, walclark said:

Got this back from CGC.  I'm back to100 % the Hitler covers.  I've felt so...incomplete the last few months.

1344086686_military7001.thumb.jpg.8a17564cca47c99f82b17ef7d9a29439.jpg

Nice!  That's one I still need. I wonder if this was on sale pre-Pearl Harbor? I vaguely remember us discussing how many of the Hitler covers were pre-PH.

Here's what I have so far in my collection.

All Winners Comics #6

America's Best Comics #7, 8

All Star Comics #24

Arrow #3

Batman #18

Big Shot Comics #25, 28, 32, 43, 46, 57

Big Shot Comics #

Blue Beetle #32, 34

Blue Bolt v4/1

Blue Circle #3

Bomber Comics #4

Boy Comics #4