• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Date Stamp Question
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I recently got a collection of some really nice silver age comics but a lot of them have date stamps.

Is this considered a defect? If so how does it effect the grade.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by APDallas

On 9/28/2019 at 10:24 PM, APDallas said:

I recently got a collection of some really nice silver age comics but a lot of them have date stamps.

I would say that, typically no, they're not considered defects. I personally disagree. If an otherwise 9.8 book has a date stamp, I would grade it a 9.6, but that's just me.

If a date stamp is actually stamped into a cover, though, that may be a different case in CGC's opinion.

Date stamps are part of the "History" of the book and a lot of collectors love books with well placed date stamps.

According to the Grading Standards a "Stamped or Inked Arrival Date" is allowed anywhere on the book up to and including VF 8.0.

VF/NM 9.0 - Several lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable.

NM- 9.2 - MT 9.9 - Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location.

On 9/28/2019 at 9:24 PM, APDallas said:

I had multiple comics of silver age comics with date stamps that received 9.8 . As long as they were stamped neatly and present well, 9.8's are fine.  The stamps should also not get smeared by an over aggressive heat press. Smearing the date stamp, in my opinion, ruins the book. 

On 9/30/2019 at 7:54 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Date stamps are part of the "History" of the book and a lot of collectors love books with well placed date stamps.

According to the Grading Standards a "Stamped or Inked Arrival Date" is allowed anywhere on the book up to and including VF 8.0.

VF/NM 9.0 - Several lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable.

NM- 9.2 - MT 9.9 - Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location.

Whose grading standards?

CGC doesn't strictly follow Overstreets standards and I'm not aware of them releasing their guidleines

20 hours ago, shadroch said:

Whose grading standards?

CGC doesn't strictly follow Overstreets standards and I'm not aware of them releasing their guidleines

Since CGC does not release their grading standards none of us can use them as a "Grading Standard".

I use Overstreet and Heritage Auctions Grading Standards and unless you know what CGC's grading standards are you cannot legitimately argue that the Overstreet and Heritage are not correct.

This is the the same as when people tell me about their car, that it has this much HP as measured on the dyno or is this quick and fast and I say show me the time slip, if you cannot produce a time slip then their is no real life proof of what the car can do performance wise.

Same thing with CGC grading standards, show me the proof that their standards are different and not just seat of the pants depending on how the grader feels that day, You Can't!!!

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions