• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your first run?
1 1

26 posts in this topic

The initial idea, back in 1988, was to attempt a Fantastic Four run. The comics I spurned during that phase would make you cringe. 

Then I ran into the early issues of Conan dirt cheap. I loved Conan, so add that run. And then I found a Marvel Spotlight 3. Oh, yeah! Werewolf By Night! Added. It stayed those three until I made the big "Key" leap. I parted with $75 to buy a Tales To Astonish 27. I figured I already had the hardest one, so why not complete the series? The floodgates opened. Literally any old comic was fair game, but mostly Marvel.

So, short story long, The first title I completed was Journey Into Mystery/Thor. #107 was the last one I found, and I did quite the in-store happy dance.

52 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

So, short story long, The first title I completed was Journey Into Mystery/Thor. #107 was the last one I found, and I did quite the in-store happy dance.

I went for JIM/Thor as well...but figured there was always time to get 83.  Nope.  But I have all but ~5 issues from 84-200.  That is a great run....and they were dirt cheap for so long in the 90s when I was putting the run together.  I did complete FF 1-100.  My #1 literally has a band-aid on the back cover sealing a rip.  But hey...it's complete and it's in the collection!  

Uncanny X-Men & Fantastic Four runs were what I was mainly interested in back in the early/mid 80's.  And also the New Teen Titans.  Sadly, I sold off those runs many years ago, but...over the past several years I have amassed (again) a very high grade (mostly NM) run of FF #141-354 plus Annuals and other related tie-ins for that time period.  My main focus on recollecting the FF were the Byrne issues and those are all in solid NM and I now have 2 sets of FF #209-221, 232-293...actually 3 sets total with #'s 250-293.  i decided not to collect any further back from #141 as it is too costly in high grades...& so sad because I used to own so many key Kirby issues back in the day. :(

Back in the late 70s or early 80s I completed X-Men 94-up.  That was the first run I needed to seek out back issues for.  Then I started collecting every New X-Men appearance and related characters.  Then Marvel over-saturated the new issue market with .  So I stopped.  And they've been sitting bagged and boarded for just about 40 years.  Obiously, I bought plenty of other comics.  But, new X-Men was the first time I decided to be a completest.

Amazing Spider-Man 1-441...plus variants...then going after the 30 and 35 cent variants and beyond...

My favorite comic is Amazing Spider-Man 6 because the Lizard is my favorite character. That was probably my first sub-100 issue.

Oh, yeah...I opted for ASM 1 over AF 15 because it was 2/3 of the price then and had so much more story...and then AF 15 took off and I never got one...could've had a 2.0 for $1500...

Edited by PeterPark

On 9/28/2019 at 11:31 PM, Concorde said:

I started collecting in 1985.  Friend of mine in my dorm in college asked if I wanted to go to the comic book store.  One of the first books I bought was X-Men 201 or 202...something like that.  One thing lead to another and I ended up with the full run 1-350 or something around there.  But it was issues 94-141 that I was focused on completing in the early days.  

What run did you first complete??

X_Men_94_141.jpg

I'm in the same boat.  I read one of the Brood issues and started collecting X-Men.  Ended up putting together a complete set of 144 - 200 and enjoyed reading them all over and over again.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I'm in the same boat.  I read one of the Brood issues and started collecting X-Men.  Ended up putting together a complete set of 144 - 200 and enjoyed reading them all over and over again.

I had never really actively read the X-Men and saw this cover:

Image result for x-men 155

And was hooked. Probably bought every issue over the next 2 years, even got a subscription! Then video games, sports, and being a teenager kicked in and I sort of lost interest in comics for almost 10 years. If there had not been a shop on the way home when I was in law school I might have never gotten back into it. I might have anyway though as my younger brother was collecting a little when I moved home back from college and I was reading his stuff.