• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS First Trilogy original cut potential release
1 1

133 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

Awesome score! Hope they buff out ok! 

They originally wanted $15. Because we have been in there over the years the older woman there felt bad when I pointed out one of the cracked cases and the discs needing to be buffed down.

"How's about a $1 per movie then, sweetie?"

"Off of each movie?"

"No - how about you pay $3 plus tax?" :whatthe:

emotion01.gif.0aae009124093bea14c300ad3a828132.gif

Just now, Bosco685 said:

They originally wanted $15. Because we have been in there over the years the older woman there felt bad when I pointed out one of the cracked cases and the discs needing to be buffed down.

"How's about a $1 per movie then, sweetie?"

"Off of each movie?"

"No - how about you pay $3 plus tax?" :whatthe:

emotion01.gif.0aae009124093bea14c300ad3a828132.gif

Sweet!! 

10 hours ago, bentbryan said:

I’m fine with the upgraded FX, that doesn’t bother me too much.  However the Han and Greedo scene is unforgivable. It completely alters Solo’s character. 

Agreed on the FX upgrades to spice up the scenes.

Dislike the tweaks to 'kiddify' the original Star Wars trology. Including the Jabba the Hut dancing girls scene.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Agreed on the FX upgrades to spice up the scenes.

Dislike the tweaks to 'kiddify' the original Star Wars trology. Including the Jabba the Hut dancing girls scene.

Yes for sure! And also the very ending song in RoTJ. 

On 3/15/2021 at 7:40 AM, Angel of Death said:

Oof. I have to vehemently disagree with you, here.

I am so glad after reading a few posts in here I went back and purchased this original trilogy set.

Sure, the visuals and sound are not 4K. But in many cases to take you back in time this is exactly what Uncle Obi-Wan prescribed. And even with the cheesy space VFX it still brings childhood joy back to life. So cool!

17 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I am so glad after reading a few posts in here I went back and purchased this original trilogy set.

Sure, the visuals and sound are not 4K. But in many cases to take you back in time this is exactly what Uncle Obi-Wan prescribed. And even with the cheesy space VFX it still brings childhood joy back to life. So cool!

I have them on laserdisc if you want to upgrade again for the true unadulterated experience (thumbsu I also have both Ewok movies on VHS to really complete the package

56 minutes ago, AJLewandoski said:

I have them on laserdisc if you want to upgrade again for the true unadulterated experience (thumbsu I also have both Ewok movies on VHS to really complete the package

Very cool!

From researching the history, I believe the 2006 Limited Edition special feature disc is the laserdisc cut with no additional enhancements.

On 1/27/2020 at 12:28 PM, Bosco685 said:

I have to agree that an exact copy release will miss some necessary changes. But who determines that middle ground is the challenge. As even with George Lucas he takes one stance (don't tamper with original material), and then does another (except for my Special Editions).

Now what is cringe or not cringe also could be a tiny challenge. But not by much. Bring the films back to a level of greatness without heavy-handed editing that after a while detracted from the story. Though which ones?

List of changes in Star Wars re-releases

2006 DVD release
On September 12, 2006, the original trilogy was re-released on DVD for a limited time (until December 31, 2006). Each film (Episodes IV, V, and VI) is packaged as a two-disc set with the first disc presenting the 2004 Special Edition with remastered THX sound and video and the second disc containing the "original, unaltered theatrical release" of each film as "bonus material".

These original editions are presented as they were first shown theatrically. For example, Star Wars has the 1977 opening scroll (before "Episode IV: A New Hope" was added and other adjustments made for the April 10, 1981 re-issue). Though the original features are presented in Dolby 2.0 Surround audio, the video transfer is derived not from original masters, but from the 1993 Laserdisc transfer (aside from the original Episode IV opening scroll taken from a best available original 1977 print), meaning that the film's 2.39:1 Panavision format is letterboxed into a non-anamorphic 4:3 video frame, even for widescreen television playback.

Instead of using the original theatrical sound mixes, the "bonus" DVD presentations use the 1993 laserdisc remixes. However, the Spanish and French audio tracks on the Star Wars DVD appear to be based on the original theatrical mono sound mix for the film, not the Definitive Collection version. Certain sound effects from the 1993 mix are missing (such as all of the "exploding glass" sounds when Luke and Han blast the various cameras and such in the Death Star's detention center), and certain sounds have been added (such as metallic clicks when R2-D2 and Chewbacca press buttons on the Millennium Falcon's holographic chessboard). Luke Skywalker also says "Blast it, Wedge, where are you?" during the final battle on the alternate language tracks, something he only said in the theatrical mono mix. In all other versions of the film, he says, "Blast it, Biggs, where are you?"

The French and Spanish audio tracks for The Empire Strikes Back 2006 DVD also feature a different sound mix than the 1993 Definitive Collection mix. This alternate mix features additional sounds that were not heard on the 35mm and subsequent home video versions, but which were later reincorporated into the 1997 and 2004 mixes. Such sounds include additional R2-D2 beeps when Yoda rummages through Luke's supplies, which are missing from prior mixes, and additional TIE Fighter engine sounds in the establishing shot of Darth Vader's Star Destroyer (after Luke Skywalker beheads the illusory Vader on Dagobah), which are missing from the prior sound mixes.

So the video and audio is from the laserdisc version of the 1977 film.

On 4/30/2021 at 1:58 AM, AJLewandoski said:

I've got the Ewok films from the DVD release they did some years ago. They really need an upgraded 4K/bluray release. They're such fun films.