• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Video project advice - simplest factors determining comic value
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I'm taking a video production class and I've decided to make my final project based on "What makes a comic book valuable?", since it's something that comes up a ton when speaking to non-collectors who stumble upon some books. 

It has to be 3 minutes max, so I'm going to focus on probably 3-4 key factors in determining value and briefly explain each.

Right now my big three are: Significance, Condition, and Demand (Rarity, Print Run, etc.)

They could probably use some polishing up or additional points. I'm in the process of building my outline, followed by the -script, shot list, production and editing. There will be a little story to go along with it. 

Any and all opinions on what the focus should include are appreciated! 

Edited by Rhymenoceros

Fun topic!  Keep us posted with progress! (thumbsu

Some thoughts...

Supply & Demand (the ultimate factor)

• This is ultimately what most affects a comic's value. The Demand for the book at the current market rate and the supply to meet that.
  • Scarcity plays into this as when there are less of a book (Print Runs, Surviving the years, etc.) then there are less to fill potential demand.
  • Awareness and Interest is what drives demand.  Often times a book goes from cheap to expensive simply because awareness increases regarding the importance or desirability of a book (such as early character appearance significance).  This also was seen when the Photo-Journal Guide to Comics was published by Gerber.  Through his collection of Comic Photos he helped increase the awareness of what existed.  Prices soon skyrocketed for Golden Age books as interest built.

Condition (tertiary factor or facet)

• Usually Condition is an additional multiplier to some level of established interest in a book.
  • The scale of grades from .5 to 10.0 then applies some level of variable multiplying affect on the cost (what is being asked).
  • Sometimes though Condition creates the interest in a book.  For example a relatively low demand book is very difficult to find in a certain grade or higher such as books with mostly black covers (easy to show defects).  In this situation the High Grade is what actually creates the demand.

Extra Credit: Pedigreed.

• Pedigree is then an additional wild card in the equation.  
  • For already high demand books the Pedigree can create a varying multiplier to a book.
  • Similarly for low demand books; the Pedigree can change it to a "high demand" book simply due to it's heritage.