• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you get your commissions personalized?

13 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Personalised if you're keeping it for life, non-personalised if you plan to put it on the wall for a few years and then sell one day. 

I met Harry Lampert (Golden Age Flash) in 1996 and had him personalize a word bubble above a speeding Flash’s head that said “ I’m catching this bullet especially for grape ape.” lol )he wrote my first and last name) not my board name obviously.

i love it and never intend to sell it. If I ever did I think the art would matter most to a buyer and the personalization  would not matter. Harry has passed away and so has his lovely wife. I’ll always cherish the piece.

Now.....Steve Rude....I bought a beautiful page from him but dealt exclusively with his lovely and kind wife on the phone. She asked me if I would like Steve to personalize the page but I declined. He’s eccentric (understatement) and I feared he might write across the art. 

All original art has the potential to have a higher future value should you decide to sell. I can understand if you’re concerned that a personalization 

”To my biggest fans Los Bros, best wishes, Neal Adams.” might limit desirability to anyone not named “Los Bros.”

it depends: I’m more forgiving of personalization on art gained second hand pre 1990. Scarcity.

The quality of the art will always rule my response to a page regardless of how it’s dedicated.

I don't think it hurts resellability too much. Anyone with a third of a brain will know you're not 'Sweet Cheeks Magee' or what not nor will a fan or collector care. I will say however word balloons can kill a nice comm imo.

Michael Lark recently did a 'cheeky' commission for me and then when he signed  a hardcover for me he referenced it in the personalization. I think it makes the autograph more interesting.

On a published page, I think it adds character so long as it doesn't obscure the artwork.

57 minutes ago, shady64 said:

I prefer not to, but some artists insist on it or even add the personalization without asking you.

Yeah I think it’s a bit of a test. The artist is challenging your loyalty. He dedicates to shady64 he thinks that’s a real fan.

your refusal no matter how polite means your a mercenary flipper.

Not asking you seems unprofessional although I could see where an artist might assume you would appreciate a personalized dedication.

To my biggest fan shady64, best Michelangelo.

Con drawings or commissions is something I am personally requesting from an artist. Many times it isn't just character A but that character doing something like listening to an iPod. Art I request from an artist I do not sell ever.

I do not have any issue buying art that is already personalized in fact sometimes it works in my favor.

I bought this piece a little while back, helps to have a somewhat common name.

1RGs81S8_3107140152571.jpg

I prefer the art to stay "clean" ... meaning no personalization in the main body of the art area. That said, it's not a huge deal to me. I find a picture with the artist and the art at a show to be my personal way of personalizing the experience and I often look back at pics of art received at a show with the artist. I don't think there is a "wrong" answer here. 

6 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Just wanted to get a pulse on the boards preference. Do you think it takes away from the piece or do you like the personalization? It's all up to personal preference, I don't have a hard stance either way. 

If I get sketches done in my hardcover sketch book, I asked for it to be personalized. If I get a cover commission, I ask the artist to sign it but not personalize it.

For example, I got Jerry Ordway to do a recreation of JLA #4 (first Green Arrow). He drew it in his style, and he signed Jerry Ordway after Anderson.

Joe

Never. I have a few but it was artist policy. Didn't bother me at all really. but I prefer not because I do sell/trade occasionally. 

*Nearly pulled the trigger on a Spidey commission that had my same first name from one of the dealer sites years ago but didn't. I don't think I'd be interested in a piece that had been personalized to anyone else, no matter the artist, but ya never know. 

If it's original published art (which I know wasn't part of the OP's question, but it does happen), I'd say you're altering the artwork (no matter how discreet the placement of the personalisation might be).  Con drawings, commissions and all that stuff is fine, if you're into that type of thing.

Edited by The Voord