• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Underrated character designs?

54 posts in this topic

I always thought that capes were just for posers! The only one I can think of who had a reason for wearing one was the Batman, he needed to give the impression that he had a wingspan everyone else just copied him. I can't help thinking that they would be strangled by the villain twisting it around their neck, as for Supes he is just saying "Look at me I'm so regal" a point I'm pleased they addressed in the latest DC movies.:bigsmile:

latest?cb=20090110055937

A strangely complex one, this.

Some find it hilarious, some cute, and some quite surprisingly disturbing.

Might as well introduce a bit of variety and choose something that’s the complete opposite to Shadowhawk.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, deadleg said:

Very Wolveriney. Almost like a Wolverine edgelord. 

Better than Troll, anyway.

Image at its 90s worst.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, tv horror said:

I always thought that capes were just for posers!

I can't help thinking that they would be strangled by the villain twisting it around their neck,

Edna Mode would agree.

Many ways they could be lethal.

Edited by Ken Aldred

21 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I mean, Dr. Strange is iconic. But I honestly love this brief design. I dig the all black costume...seems darker and more mysterious.

Imagine a modern writer took this and went with it...

Image result for dr strange 180

A million times this. It also kinda ties into my pick: Golden Age Dr Fate. I hoped having him as a playable character in Injustice 2 would be the push into the limelight he needed, coupled with the ongoing he had at the time (which just really wasn't anyone wanted), but DC just never gave us what we wanted. They just won't settle on a character behind the helmet. Instead everyone we see him, it's like it's something new. Hopefully that's changed now, but they've certainly missed their moment. 

Seeing the opening post was an Image character, I'll add the redesigns of Youngblood by Jim Towe. They have this classic, animated like quality, very fluid, very pleasing to the eye, yet detailed at the same time. Very nice stuff. I know he went to Marvel, but I completely lost track of him. 

Cyclops has had a few. It's hard to call any X-Man design under-rated, but hear me out. His first few costume changes stand out so much, but were really so minor. First one was essentially just losing the vest. A case of a very small tweak doing a lot of heavy lifting. Even the 90's Jim Lee costume, love it or hate it, was a relatively minor tweak. It took that already minor tweak of the vest removal, added in the chest-strap, some minor straps on the thighs and around the wrists and calves (basically some detailing), and borrowed Whilce Portacio's open-hair look. Straps and hair. Again, basic stuff when you get down to it. Yet it looked revolutionary, but was just evolutionary. The essence of good design for the time. 

The Pacheco/Larocca FF designs first seen during Onslaught, then used again during the Claremont run in the Heroes Return era also count for me. Rarely mentioned or seen, they stand out to me, with an offset 4, and a stylised look never seen before or since. Nice stuff, and classic. 

Archangel. Who can pull off wearing pink AND look badass at the same time? Simonson managed the impossible. It's a look that they keep coming back to for a reason. I find it underrated because they keep going away from it, and it seems to be the thing to knock it and hate it on it and the character, which I'll never understand. Badass in pink with metal wings and metal feathers, and blue skin? Sign me up! 

Joe Madureira Scarlet Witch. My favourite costume of hers. Seen very briefly. I also loved his Hawkeye design, though that one is probably a bit dated now. It worked for the time, though. Shame his Avengers costumes never got a chance.

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

8 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

Probably in the minority but I like this Layton Iron Man version. F039A480-8B80-447A-978B-DB85B3CC06AA.jpeg.64b1d5e0abf9739c6f9963903aa7d7aa.jpegACCBDF98-E11B-4EE9-8B92-2524007678B6.jpeg.524e84c355a232a3b3386bacc80a62c3.jpeg

After Iron Man 1963, with the horned helmet design, Silver Centurion is my favourite.

13 minutes ago, deadleg said:

You got me there. 

Troll.jpg

It's worse than I remember. 

As bad as that famous Liefeld Captain America image.

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

latest?cb=20090110055937

A strangely complex one, this.

Some find it hilarious, some cute, and some quite surprisingly disturbing.

Might as well introduce a bit of variety and choose something that’s the complete opposite to Shadowhawk.

Cheeks looks like Forbush man.

download (1).jpg

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Better than Troll, anyway.

Image at its 90s worst.

I was at a comic convention in the early 90’s before Troll had been published and the dude was there with the ashcans. My uncle brought me to the convention, he wasn’t into comics but he saw that and stopped in his tracks and bought one because he wanted the cover airbrushed on the tailgate of his truck, never got it done though.

wait, just checked. It wasn’t troll but was something very similar, that I think got published not long after. Starting to think it was Ogre. Looked very similar to the cover of Ogre #1 but can’t find it