• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who would you ask to do a commission/sketch at NY comicon?

25 posts in this topic

Not much to add that isn’t in the title. I have a few thoughts already.

One of them is Dan Quintana.

Also, If there was someone who you would avoid because they take your money and don’t produce, I’d love to know that, too.

Edited by Rick2you2

4 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Also, If there was someone who you would avoid because they take your money and don’t produce, I’d love to know that, too.

NYCC 2010.  Kevin Maguire was doing those cool headshots.  Paid for mine.  Said he couldn't get to it.  Gave him my contact info so he could send it to me.  Asked him if he'll remember.  He said he would.  Did not get it. 

Was talking to Spencer Beck, Maguire's once upon a time rep, later in 2010.  Spencer asked me to send him note to remind Maguire.  Sent a note to Spencer.  And a couple more follow-ups.  I assume Spencer forwarded the reminders to Maguire.  Anyway, did not get the art.

But in 2012, a headshot popped up on CAF that looks amazingly like what I asked for.  I've written off Maguire.

9 hours ago, Will_K said:

NYCC 2010.  Kevin Maguire was doing those cool headshots.  Paid for mine.  Said he couldn't get to it.  Gave him my contact info so he could send it to me.  Asked him if he'll remember.  He said he would.  Did not get it. 

Was talking to Spencer Beck, Maguire's once upon a time rep, later in 2010.  Spencer asked me to send him note to remind Maguire.  Sent a note to Spencer.  And a couple more follow-ups.  I assume Spencer forwarded the reminders to Maguire.  Anyway, did not get the art.

But in 2012, a headshot popped up on CAF that looks amazingly like what I asked for.  I've written off Maguire.

I had a headshot done by Maguire a few years ago at a NJ show, and met him several times.  Maybe he forgot. Spencer may not have forwarded the notes to Maguire. Spencer isn’t real good at following up some things.

On occasion, when I have paid something in advance, I always get the recipient to sign a card or piece of paper acknowledging receipt of money and what it was for. Otherwise, he might completely forget; and then I have proof it was done.

Edited by Rick2you2

9 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Can you post the list. 

Sadly, he won’t be there on Thursday, but I wanted Eastman to draw a Phantom Stranger-in the form of a Ninja Turtle mash-up character.

Some others I am toying with include Ashley Woods, Guillem March and Jason Shawn Alexander. I already have work by the latter two, but could add to my stash. 

What I don’t want is something like a Jim Lee style. I find the super-realistic look he does and which is in vogue these days to be artistically uninteresting. Also, the Phantom Stranger is a mystery/horror character more than a heroic character, so I like a style which captures that.

Jorge molina, art adams, mark brooks, ben harvey, stelfreeze, vitti, bonetti are amongst the best commission artists.  

Fellas who are good at show but may be a headache if you let them walk out the weekend with your cash are jae l, lashley, pantanela, tex, liefeld.  

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I had a headshot done by Maguire a few years ago at a NJ show, and met him several times.  Maybe he forgot. Spencer may not have forwarded the notes to Maguire. Spencer isn’t real good at following up some things.

On occasion, when I have paid something in advance, I always get the recipient to sign a card or piece of paper acknowledging receipt of money and what it was for. Otherwise, he might completely forget; and then I have proof it was done.

I'm not sure how many of those cards you have for commissions that weren't delivered.  There's plenty of stories about correspondences (i.e. "proof") regarding work that wasn't delivered.

In the end, I don't put any responsibility on Spencer.  He was only involved after the fact.  Spencer was doing me a favor by following up with Maguire.  He was doing Maguire a favor by making sure he didn't become known for not getting his commissions done.

Spencer did mention that Maguire said he was going to finish all outstanding commissions by such-and-such time and apologized.  Any way after a couple follow-ups, that was it for me.

Edited by Will_K

4 hours ago, Will_K said:

I'm not sure how many of those cards you have for commissions that weren't delivered.  There's plenty of stories about correspondences (i.e. "proof") regarding work that wasn't delivered.

In the end, I don't put any responsibility on Spencer.  He was only involved after the fact.  Spencer was doing me a favor by following up with Maguire.  He was doing Maguire a favor by making sure he didn't become known for not getting his commissions done.

Spencer did mention that Maguire said he was going to finish all outstanding commissions by such-and-such time and apologized.  Any way after a couple follow-ups, that was it for me.

I have never had a failure, but I know a lot of people haven’t been that lucky. There is a Facebook group dedicated to it.

Maguire is slow, but I am disappointed that he did that to you.

3 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

Event high he doesn’t do convention commissions it has to be Alex Ross. Notables would be Clayton Crain , Art Adams, Marc Silvestri

Ross is attending?

19 hours ago, Will_K said:

Wow what a tool. Sorry man.

15 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Sadly, he won’t be there on Thursday, but I wanted Eastman to draw a Phantom Stranger-in the form of a Ninja Turtle mash-up character.

Some others I am toying with include Ashley Woods, Guillem March and Jason Shawn Alexander. I already have work by the latter two, but could add to my stash. 

What I don’t want is something like a Jim Lee style. I find the super-realistic look he does and which is in vogue these days to be artistically uninteresting. Also, the Phantom Stranger is a mystery/horror character more than a heroic character, so I like a style which captures that.

Eastman has always been super nice when I've met him at SDCC over the years. Always super cool to the fans, taking pictures, signing, etc. I wish I knew he was going to NYCC this year. I have two hardcover books I've had him sign four times each over the years. Every time I meet him he draws a little different head in. I just got down to NY today and left them home. Oh well - next time.

On 9/30/2019 at 4:46 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Not much to add that isn’t in the title. I have a few thoughts already.

One of them is Dan Quintana.

Update? Who did you go with?