• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

7th Annual Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 5 Results (5 of 10)
1 1

32 posts in this topic

Yeesh. I'm slowly fading into mediocrity. :tonofbricks:

I read the note, but, without seeing the interiors, the Jumbo was a total shot in the dark for me. I went VG since the cover looked so nice.

I went with 8 on the Conan.  Personally, I agree with the 7.5, but I was trying to adjust since I was consistently under-grading up to this point.

Hopefully I can score some bullseyes in the second half and get back into this thing.

4 hours ago, Kon_Jelly said:

"Multiple interior pages split and detached" and it still gets a 2.0? ¬¬

Yes.  Look it cant get a 0.5 because books with missing pages and half torn covers get 0.5.  It cant get a 1.0 or 1.5 because those grades are for books that have no eye appeal whatsoever.  This book has a lot of eye appeal.  So it's either a 1.8 or a 2.0.  That much eye appeal on a good girl book I went 2.0

25 minutes ago, kav said:

Yes.  Look it cant get a 0.5 because books with missing pages and half torn covers get 0.5.  It cant get a 1.0 or 1.5 because those grades are for books that have no eye appeal whatsoever.  This book has a lot of eye appeal.  So it's either a 1.8 or a 2.0.  That much eye appeal on a good girl book I went 2.0

In hindsight, very logical advice. But those seemingly wacky grades we've been seeing had me all bamboozled. I went with 4.5 because the eye appeal was so great...and besides no one's going to read it in a slab, are they? doh!

5 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

In hindsight, very logical advice. But those seemingly wacky grades we've been seeing had me all bamboozled. I went with 4.5 because the eye appeal was so great...and besides no one's going to read it in a slab, are they? doh!

Make no mistake I wasnt certain.  I could see CGC going as high as 3.0 on this book.  Lower than 1.8 that I couldnt see.

2 hours ago, kav said:

See that I don't agree with in principle, because does that mean every page could be torn but a solid cover make up for it? I was back and forth between a 1.0 and 1.5, and the brittle pages put me on 1.0. 

I mean I get that CGC graded it at 2.0, and I understand your thought process on it. I guess I'm just harsher on those flaws then they are. 

2 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

See that I don't agree with in principle, because does that mean every page could be torn but a solid cover make up for it? I was back and forth between a 1.0 and 1.5, and the brittle pages put me on 1.0. 

I mean I get that CGC graded it at 2.0, and I understand your thought process on it. I guess I'm just harsher on those flaws then they are. 

No.  A cover with no pages would get a NG designation.  

edit oh you meant every page torn loose-that I dont know what grade it would get.  theoretically it could still get a 2.0

Edited by kav