• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

7th Annual Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 6
5 5

353 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Larryw7 said:

I forgot! 

You can atone yourself by donating $500 worth of comics to the cause :grin: (for all I know you did more than that)

Seriously though, looking at your scores, it seems like you'd be doing fairly solid if not for missing two rounds.

11 hours ago, Point Five said:

Re the Invaders #1. Anyone else think that lower right corner ding might have happened after grading, during the slabbing process?  hm

I still can't figure out how any book with a blunted lower left corner like the Invaders #1 (CGC 9.6?!?) meets anyone's definition of a "super sharp comic." The folded lower right corner also threw me for a loop. How can any fold like that not have at minimum a NCB crease? Shenanigans! :preach:

INVADERS1.jpg.6a98b952101c058521cda03b7c5a2114.jpg

INVADERS2.jpg.7072f715ec76b6af1164c7bfb0034100.jpg

31 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

I still can't figure out how any book with a blunted lower left corner like the Invaders #1 (CGC 9.6?!?) meets anyone's definition of a "super sharp comic." The folded lower right corner also threw me for a loop. How can any fold like that not have at minimum a NCB crease? Shenanigans! :preach:

There were notes for this - (notes: front cover, bottom right corner looks like it's missing. It is there and nothing is wrong with it)

35 minutes ago, BriD. said:

There were notes for this - (notes: front cover, bottom right corner looks like it's missing. It is there and nothing is wrong with it)

As mentioned, I'd gamble that corner wasn't like that when the book was submitted for grading. Damage like that often occurs during return shipping from CGC due to SCS (Shaken Comic Syndrome). It's one of the challenges of guessing grades on comics after they have been slabbed and returned vs. scans taken prior to grading.

2 hours ago, BriD. said:

But the rounded front lower-spine corner?

And the quite pronounced (half-inch or more) upper staple fc bend/crease?

9.6? O.o

Wow. CGC blew it on both of these books.

1 hour ago, Black_Adam said:

As mentioned, I'd gamble that corner wasn't like that when the book was submitted for grading. Damage like that often occurs during return shipping from CGC due to SCS (Shaken Comic Syndrome). It's one of the challenges of guessing grades on comics after they have been slabbed and returned vs. scans taken prior to grading.

Yeah, that is SCS.  That's why I basically mentioned to ignore it.

5 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

Yeah, that is SCS.  That's why I basically mentioned to ignore it.

Ah, I get it now. I was interpreting the note as saying that for some reason the scan made it seem like there was a problem there when in fact the corner was fine. Anyway I still failed on that one :boo:

3 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

if you look very carefully that is not a folded corner-it is an area of brown ink.  Notes stated nothing is wrong with that corner!

2 hours ago, kav said:

if you look very carefully that is not a folded corner-it is an area of brown ink.  Notes stated nothing is wrong with that corner!

TGH said it was SCS.

Do you really believe that book is an honest 9.6 with that spine crease and rounded lower-spine corner? 

2 minutes ago, jcjames said:

TGH said it was SCS.

Do you really believe that book is an honest 9.6 with that spine crease and rounded lower-spine corner? 

I didnt understand the SCS comment-how can SCS make a corner disappear?  I do think its a 9.6.  If it didnt have the spine crease it would be a 9.8 and if it also didnt havethe rounded corner then 9.9.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I didnt understand the SCS comment-how can SCS make a corner disappear?  I do think its a 9.6.  If it didnt have the spine crease it would be a 9.8 and if it also didnt havethe rounded corner then 9.9.

O.o

Remember a 9.6 is not a perfect book.  Thats why its a 9.6 and not a 10.0.  Each defect shaves off a bit of the grade.