• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling Comics online
1 1

20 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

I really like getting comics in these, and they're really easy to deal with on the shipping end as well:

http://www.geminicomicsupply.com/product/comic-flash-mailers/

Less than $1.00 each, and nearly impossible for the mailman to fold in half.

Thanks very helpful. Are these inserted into an envelope or box? Or just sent as is.. thanks!

14 minutes ago, Bookaholic said:

Thanks very helpful. Are these inserted into an envelope or box? Or just sent as is.. thanks!

I have seen them shipped as is, but that is up to you how you feel is more secure to send them.  I assume these are raw books not graded?

Gemini is what I use now along with a sandwich on the inside (2 pieces of cardboard I cut myself). Gmini also sells pre-cut cardboard for sandwiches, but it is kind of expensive. As it is I am probably losing money charging $5 shipping (1st class). Before that I cut my own carboard from boxes (my wife loves amazon) and use 4 or 5 pieces as a sandwich, often putting that inside a UPS or whatever flat rate envelope and then that inside a big envelope. The Geminis are less work even though I stull use 2 pieces of cardboard for the sandwich.

1 minute ago, the blob said:

Gemini is what I use now along with a sandwich on the inside (2 pieces of cardboard I cut myself). Gmini also sells pre-cut cardboard for sandwiches, but it is kind of expensive. As it is I am probably losing money charging $5 shipping (1st class). Before that I cut my own carboard from boxes (my wife loves amazon) and use 4 or 5 pieces as a sandwich, often putting that inside a UPS or whatever flat rate envelope and then that inside a big envelope. The Geminis are less work even though I stull use 2 pieces of cardboard for the sandwich.

I'm hungry now...

21 hours ago, the blob said:

I use the Gemini mailers and wrap my book(s) in bubble wrap with no sandwich and I've had no problems.  The bubble wrap is compressed pretty good when I tape up the mailer so there is really no shifting around in the mailer so I don't see a way for the books (in a bag and board for extra protection) could get damaged. 

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I use the Gemini mailers and wrap my book(s) in bubble wrap with no sandwich and I've had no problems.  The bubble wrap is compressed pretty good when I tape up the mailer so there is really no shifting around in the mailer so I don't see a way for the books (in a bag and board for extra protection) could get damaged. 

Do you put the shipping label on the gemeni box? Or in an envelope?

40 minutes ago, Bookaholic said:

Do you put the shipping label on the gemeni box? Or in an envelope?

I tape the label directly to the box once its put together.  You could easily put the mailer in a priority envelope but most people want the first class mailing price.  i charge $4.25 for each book and then $0.25 for each additional book.  I may lose a bit on mega purchases but I like big bulk purchases so I reward big buyers.

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/5313/comic-mailer-holds-up-to-14-comicsbr7-12-x-10-34-x-1-14brmade-from-200-lb-test-kraft-corrugated-cardboard

I use these. More expensive than the Geminis but fits in a priority flat rate envelope perfectly and I've only had good feedback from the people receiving them. 

I've used Geminis for years (and whatever they were called before they named them Geminis) without issue, and I also use their precut boards. Make a sandwich with three or four pieces, book is bagged and boarded and then that is wrapped in a magazine bag, then into the cardboard sandwich, then the sandwich into the mailer. This can then be slipped into a priority legal flat rate envelope if desired. I cut cardboard for 20 years and I came to hate it so, so, so very much. Pre-cut boards are worth every penny spent. For nicer books I make a cardboard sandwich, wrap in bubble wrap, then do the 1092/1095 double box priority combo. The priority boxes and envelopes are available for free from USPS, and they'll even deliver them to your front door. Print the postage at home, have USPS pick them up for free. Can't beat that with a bat. I think about all the years I used to schlep boxes to the local post office, and just wanna cry.

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I've used Geminis for years (and whatever they were called before they named them Geminis) without issue, and I also use their precut boards. Make a sandwich with three or four pieces, book is bagged and boarded and then that is wrapped in a magazine bag, then into the cardboard sandwich, then the sandwich into the mailer. This can then be slipped into a priority legal flat rate envelope if desired. I cut cardboard for 20 years and I came to hate it so, so, so very much. Pre-cut boards are worth every penny spent. For nicer books I make a cardboard sandwich, wrap in bubble wrap, then do the 1092/1095 double box priority combo. The priority boxes and envelopes are available for free from USPS, and they'll even deliver them to your front door. Print the postage at home, have USPS pick them up for free. Can't beat that with a bat. I think about all the years I used to schlep boxes to the local post office, and just wanna cry.

I hear you on cutting cardboard, but Amazon sends 4 foot square boxes to ship a pair of ear pods, there is so much cardboard in my house. right now I have a short box of pre-cut cardboard ready if I ever start selling in volume again as well as about 100 gemini mailers left from 200 I ordered late last year. I have been waiting for an ebay coupon or ebay bucks to buy more.

Look up "currugated" or "box" company in Google maps and buy in bulk from them.  You can usually get a box for 25-35 cents each.  I buy 100 boxes (12x9x3) and 200 pre cut flats (8/3/4 x 11 3/4) for $40 from a small local shop, and I live in a small town..  I use crumpled newspaper as filler.  Go to trophy stores and you can get huge amounts of bubble wrap and ghost turds for free.  A pain to store though unless you have good throughput.  Buy rolls of 6 clear packing tape for pretty cheap online or at Staples.  Don't go uber cheap as it can tear badly.  So all in you can have a box, 2 flats, tape and cushion for under 50 cents per order.  

Ed

6 minutes ago, ft88 said:

Look up "currugated" or "box" company in Google maps and buy in bulk from them.  You can usually get a box for 25-35 cents each.  I buy 100 boxes (12x9x3) and 200 pre cut flats (8/3/4 x 11 3/4) for $40 from a small local shop, and I live in a small town..  I use crumpled newspaper as filler.  Go to trophy stores and you can get huge amounts of bubble wrap and ghost turds for free.  A pain to store though unless you have good throughput.  Buy rolls of 6 clear packing tape for pretty cheap online or at Staples.  Don't go uber cheap as it can tear badly.  So all in you can have a box, 2 flats, tape and cushion for under 50 cents per order.  

Ed

Free bubble wrap? That's a sweet hookup...stuff ain't cheap.

I would agree with many of the comments about. Gemini are one of the cheapest ready to go. Over time I have gotten to where I buy cases of water activated Registered tape and cases of foam-board.  Then sandwich the foam-board (like the extra protection and smooth surface) plus it's harder to bend than cardboard.  Plus using this method I can build any size box ( have even built boxes to ship Long Boxes ) can be seen in this post here..

And here are some pictures of various packages I have made. Using this method. 20180214_084425.thumb.jpg.8209607b354c9fbb9638169a54beb091.jpg20181220_121958.thumb.jpg.df0fa8b699b38706ea66ece993e59a75.jpg20190614_230737.thumb.jpg.f177bc8f6057982f31ef2bb752e2caa5.jpg20180205_210705.thumb.jpg.e32c4fbf6621d87139020eef6c22a10d.jpg

41 minutes ago, Bookaholic said:

Thanks everyone!!! Does anyone have a coupon code for the Gemini mailers?

I generally just buy them on E-Bay when I get a 10% ebucks offer (or even better a 15% off coupon).  Its usually cheaper that way compared to buying them direct - I usually buy them in bulk when I can get 400 for $200.