• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does CGC grading at a Convention work?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

You get your books, you fill out some forms, you drop them at the CGC booth with payment.  Some amount of time later (the staff will give you an estimate), you come back to the booth to pick them up.

There MIGHT be a line to drop off books, ok PROBABLY.  And it might be a long one.

Pro's: 

1.  Don't have to package or pay for shipping to CGC in Florida (although technically you could drop at a con for non-onsite grading).

2.  Less handling and transpo means less chance of damage

3.  Get your comic back way faster, and don't have to pay for return shipping or insurance (or worry about damage from shipping)

4.  You can argue about newton rings on the SPOT.

Con's: 

1.  The line to drop off books might be EPIC, or they have in the past at times stopped accepting submissions because there's too many.

2.  It costs more.  If you don't need fast track and you have a bunch of books, it might be cheaper to just drop them off for non-onsite grading, and even with shipping and insurance it might be cheaper to have them mailed back to you many months later.

3.  Its not always fun dragging boxes full of slabs through a convention.

4.  Not every one is convention person, but this requires you to pay to go to the convention AND be at the convention (in some cases on multiple days), which for some people just does not sound fun.

I'm sure other people can think of good or bad stuff, but for the specific procedures of any given convention, you should probably contact CGC directly.

6 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

I've never submitted to CGC either. How much is onsite grading? Is it the "walkthrough" service you are buying? So, 3% of value with $150 min?

There are tiered rates depending on the approximate market value and publication era of each comic.  The rates are, not surprisingly, considerably higher than those for submitting to Sarasota, but you save on shipping cost and get ultrafast turnaround.

Edited by namisgr

3 minutes ago, namisgr said:

There are tiered rates depending on the approximate market value and publication era of each comic.  The rates are, not surprisingly, considerably higher than those for submitting to Sarasota, but you save on shipping cost and get ultrafast turnaround.

So, it may not be $150 minimum? If I was going to submit a $1,000 book through Standard for $65, but instead submitted the same book at a show, how much would it be?

2 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

So, it may not be $150 minimum? If I was going to submit a $1,000 book through Standard for $65, but instead submitted the same book at a show, how much would it be?

I was unable to find pricing listed for the upcoming Baltimore show, but the online submission form for the show is accessible.  You can fill it out for a comic you have in mind to get information on the fee.