• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 story pages missing
1 1

32 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Spaceguy said:

I'm presuming that CGC is saying large piece missing each of pages 9, 10 and 11;  affects story

Yes, it is incomplete.  I have no problem with the defect description.

However, Qualified 0.5?

27 minutes ago, Spaceguy said:

I'm presuming that CGC is saying large piece missing each of pages 9, 10 and 11;  affects story

Yes, that's correct.

And if you really want to live on the edge, search eBay for books with the following descriptions: "CGC .5", "CGC NG", "CGC Qualified" and "CGC Restored."  (thumbsu

54 minutes ago, Yorick said:

:roflmao:

DS27 Q05.JPG

Please note that since it's Qualified, the entire notation is in capital letters. Not only that, CGC used to write it as "9th, 10th and 11th page" to describe the defect; now they appear to prefer writing it "page 9, 10 & 11."  (shrug)

Edited by The Lions Den

I could understand a blue 0.5 (since it's incomplete).  I've got a blue 0.5 missing the entire back cover.  To make this a green 0.5 must mean that it is a real stinky pile of... stuff.

7 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I could understand a blue 0.5 (since it's incomplete).  I've got a blue 0.5 missing the entire back cover.  To make this a green 0.5 must mean that it is a real stinky pile of... stuff.

From what I've seen, this isn't as uncommon as you may think. A recent eBay search yielded some very interesting results. There are some rather frightening examples out there... :fear:

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

They are human, and they don't publish their grading standards...

In all honesty, their standards were allegedly developed by taking input from a number of prominent collectors and dealers in the hobby at the time (at least that's the story I heard). That explains why some of the things they do are occasionally greeted with what I would call "guarded skepticism." By not publishing their grading standards, they're simply protecting themselves from differences of opinion in the way they apply those standards. I will also say that CGC has a good track record of going above and beyond the call of duty to satisfy their customers, which is increasingly rare these days…  :foryou:

12 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

In all honesty, their standards were allegedly developed by taking input from a number of prominent collectors and dealers in the hobby at the time (at least that's the story I heard). That explains why some of the things they do are occasionally greeted with what I would call "guarded skepticism." By not publishing their grading standards, they're simply protecting themselves from differences of opinion in the way they apply those standards. I will also say that CGC has a good track record of going above and beyond the call of duty to satisfy their customers, which is increasingly rare these days…  :foryou:

Boot licker. :sumo: